Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM

Frustrated!

It's one of those days. The past couple of weeks I've been planning and researching about putting some baby moon hubcaps on my OEM steelies. A couple of guys on here were really helpful with information too. Well, it was a beautiful day to work outside, so I go for it. I drilled my holes, which was a pain in the butt to begin with. The bits kept getting work out after one try. Got all the holes drilled and then tried to put the screws in. I was using self threading screws and they just would cut the grooves. They'll get halfway and spin and then eventually melt and get stuck. I spent all day working on ONE wheel and after all that work, I only got ONE clip and screw to work. I don't really know what to do now, I guess just rethink how to go about this. I hate trying to do something and it just doesn't go the way you want it...
Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Technical Moderator

Grrrrrr!

Slow the driver down. Use coarser threaded screws.

I hate those days.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Grrrrrr!

Slow the driver down. Use coarser threaded screws.

I hate those days.
I think I'm going to have find a different driver. The battery died on my good one and I don't have the charger at my house, so I ended up using a one speed corded driver. I'm hoping I didn't mess up any of the holes to where I can't get the screws to work. It just doesn't make any sense why I couldn't get the screws to thread and hold. That's what's frustrating me the most lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I would hand tap fine threads in the holes and use fine thread bolts with a lock washer to hold the clips on.
Patience and take it slow , even one wheel a weekend , you'll get them done!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 PM

I agree I would drill and tap the holes or maybe pop rivets.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 PM

The clips come with rivets, but I have no idea how to use them lol. If I could get the screws to go through the holes, I'd probably use a washer with some locktite. But it's like the screws get snagged somewhere and don't go all the way through. They aren't cutting very well. Do they make drill bits that can handle metal? I don't feel like going through all the bits I have to get this done.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Technical Moderator

Your questions lead me to believe that you are in over your head.

Cobalt bits should work. Pop rivets have a nail looking part that goes into a tool and pops. The screws aren't working because the steel is very hard and thick. Mostly the thickness.

You can get a pop rivet tool for less than $20 at most hardware or auto parts stores.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 AM

What type of self tapping screws are you using? The stainless steel ones will melt, they are too soft.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Your questions lead me to believe that you are in over your head.

Cobalt bits should work. Pop rivets have a nail looking part that goes into a tool and pops. The screws aren't working because the steel is very hard and thick. Mostly the thickness.

You can get a pop rivet tool for less than $20 at most hardware or auto parts stores.
I assure you I'm not in over my head. This doesn't come close to technically challenging for me, but it's just not working. I looked again and the rivets that came with the clips aren't pop rivets. Looks like a snap head.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies
What type of self tapping screws are you using? The stainless steel ones will melt, they are too soft.
They are stainless. That would explain a lot.

Quick Reply: Frustrated!