General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hardwired GPS

Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Hardwired GPS

I got tired of having loose wires in my car so I hardwired my GPS.
My dash looks much cleaner now

Remove the waterfall (there are several posts about doing this)

I purchased a cheap ($4) lighter plug splitter and cut one of the outlets off, then connected it to a wire that I had tapped into the fuse box with. I used a switched circuit so it automatically goes on/off.
I then pushed the lighter plug power supply for the GPS into the outlet and thoroughly taped it so it cannot come apart.

I then stuck the whole assembly into the hole in the center that the wires come out through.

Then route the power wire up to the top. You can replace the waterfall with the wire sticking out of the top. I then stuck the round flat Garmin mount with the double sided tape just above the hazard switch. The suction cup mount sticks to this (I tried without using this and it would fall off after a while) Make sure you clean that area with alcohol so the double sided tape sticks.

Then just mount your GPS.

The screen shot on the GPS matches what you see out the window, Lake Michigan
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Very creative and nicely done mod.

Not to many places in the HHR to locate the GPS unit where it does not get in the way of something else.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

I really like that look with the GPS on it, but without the gps there i don't like it at all. even if you take thew cradle off and just have the disc sitting there. Which is the reason why i haven't done it yet, i would love for a cradle that could be attached there like normal.

For my tomtom, i just suction cup it to the bottom left corner of the window. I don't seem to have any interference and it's easy to look over at it. If i didn't move it from car to car, i would hardwire it to there.

If i'm in Grand haven sometime, i'll give you a holler. I don't end up there as much anymore, i used to go to WMU. My parents rent a house there every week, and although I didn't go up with them this year, if they go next year maybe i'll find the time to hit it up.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM

job well done. i was looking at gettin a gps sometime. didnt know about mounting it, but this is a clean install
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM

they do make a bean bag mount that sits on the dash
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 AM

Nice. That's what I want to do with my radar detector.

What's the dodad on the dash box lid?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM

Looks nice BUT I would worry about being a target for theft. They look for things like that and know a GPS is not far away.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM

it looks like one of those grip mats. Put a cell phone or ipod or something up there and it won't slide around.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Nice. That's what I want to do with my radar detector.

What's the dodad on the dash box lid?
twstrman is right, it's a grip mat. I put my Blackberry there so it doesn't slide around. These things really do work! Once the BB has ben sitting there for a few minutes, I think you could make a 1g turn and think it would stick
Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I really like that look with the GPS on it, but without the gps there i don't like it at all. even if you take thew cradle off and just have the disc sitting there. Which is the reason why i haven't done it yet, i would love for a cradle that could be attached there like normal.

For my tomtom, i just suction cup it to the bottom left corner of the window. I don't seem to have any interference and it's easy to look over at it. If i didn't move it from car to car, i would hardwire it to there.

If i'm in Grand haven sometime, i'll give you a holler. I don't end up there as much anymore, i used to go to WMU. My parents rent a house there every week, and although I didn't go up with them this year, if they go next year maybe i'll find the time to hit it up.

Agreed, but the little disk doesn't look that bad.

Besides, my wife kept "borrowing" mine, so I just let her keep it, bought a new one and permanently mounted it so we have to use hers if we ever move it to any other vehicle. I used to keep mine on the windshield, but it is MUCH easier to use in this location. Typing addresses, etc. is very easy in this location.

If you are ever in GH let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardwired GPS