General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My springtime plans for the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Post My springtime plans for the HHR

First off let me say that I bought my 2009 HHR panel LS brand new, pretty much just a bad weather beater and daily driver (then again about $55k ago that's all my 2004 GTO was supposed to be too). Now that I've had it for about 16 months it's time to change things up a bit. It will never be fast for my standards and it will still be my beater, but I figured it's time to have some fun with it and eventhough a vehicle can be slow, it can still be a bit of fun in the corners.

With that being said, here are my plans after the weather finally breaks in the spring:

1) Paint my "new to me" 17" x 7.5" five spoke rims (Caddy Catera?) body color
2) Make custom centercaps for those rims
3) New BFG KDW-2 tires (somewhere around 235/50/17) that will fill the wheelwell gaps
4) Pedder's springs
5) FE5 shocks and struts
6) Big sway bars
7) Tint all marker lights
8) Paint front calipers
9) Slotted rotors
10)Make custom "non-bling" upper and lower front grills
11)Custom front foglights, as long as they look at least as good as factory
12)Maybe some subtle paint work

The plan is to actually make it fun to drive and give it a smooth, if not better all-around look. The plan is definitely not to buy every stick-on accessory that they sell for the HHR and make it look cheaper than they it already is.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Deceased

Sounds like you've got things figured out to make a unique ride for yourself, post some pics as you make progress so we can follow along.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM

It should be a lot different than stock when done.

I just talked with Rob over at Wretched Motorsports (my local Pedders dealer) and he actually had the springs in stock. I was going to go and pick them up on Monday (5+ hours roundtrip) but he said he will ship them to me for free. I don't know if that's policy, or just that I've given him a lot of business over the years since Pedders came over to the states. Either way, I told him no rush because they aren't going on until spring.

I'm just in parts collection mode right now
Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Tire calculator shows that tire size to be just over 26"..... They may or may not rub the lower strut plate in front depending on that particular brand's sizing..... Just a word of warning. 26" is right at the cut off point.

Also... Sway bars. These things handle as if they were on rails with just the addition of a Progress rear bar, especially if leveled, or lowered in your case. I doubt very much handling will be markedly better with "Big sway bars" although I guess bragging rights may be..... No offence. Not trying to spend your money or save it either, but if adding a matching bar to the back does the job it's a lot less hassle than swapping that front bar. Note: adding Moog end links to the front is a good move either way.

Take photos! We like to see projects come together.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Tire calculator shows that tire size to be just over 26"..... They may or may not rub the lower strut plate in front depending on that particular brand's sizing..... Just a word of warning. 26" is right at the cut off point.
I hear ya on that that's why I haven't picked a definite tire size yet because I haven't looked at the exact specs. I also want to make sure to keep close to my stock tire height (speedo) along with trying to fill my wheelwells.

Also... Sway bars. These things handle as if they were on rails with just the addition of a Progress rear bar, especially if leveled, or lowered in your case. I doubt very much handling will be markedly better with "Big sway bars" although I guess bragging rights may be..... No offence. Not trying to spend your money or save it either, but if adding a matching bar to the back does the job it's a lot less hassle than swapping that front bar. Note: adding Moog end links to the front is a good move either way.
I will definitely be matching front and rear bars. I've seen too many people put "big sways" on their cars, just for the sake of saying they did, and their cars actually handle worse than before they had them because of to much understeer or oversteer. I should have worded it that "I will be going with the biggest matched set of swaybars that I can find", because if everything is balanced, bigger is almost always better.

I do like the endlink suggestion though if I don't find an upgraded bar for the front. I haven't researched what I have in there for stock, but I would have to believe that an LS doesn't come with the same bar as an SS, and I would also tend to think that the aftermarket companys make bigger and better balanced swaybar than the SS has from the factory. Either way, I'll be spending some time looking into sizes

I'm definitely not looking into spending money if it isn't going to improve things, because as I originally said, this is mostly just my daily bad weather beater. My other cars have their own bank accounts (seriously) but this one just gets whatever throw around is leftover at the end of the week/month. If I had the money to really go all out and this wasn't a daily driver, I would spend the money on Pedders coilovers

Thanks for all your input
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Bigger bars will track flatter...while alot of people dont need bigger bars, because with what they have is better then theyve ever had before so they cant see the benefit,,,,but there is one, othewise they wouldn't be offered.( When Used correctly). Where bars start causing problems is when you make radical changes (springs and bars) and dont match them. Having a too big a bar with too big a spring will make a bad push because when the bar starts reacting it adds to the original spring rate thus making the front end a brick in the corners,even though the ride may feel good in a straight line( when the bar is relaxed) Shocks dont affect spring rates, only affect how fast the weight transfers to that wheel( stock shocks are valved too soft, allowing weight to transfer too soon, this shocks the tread contact patch and can induce a push, NOTE: Factory set ups are setup to push , understeer, because its easier to correct then an oversteer in an emergency manuver, for the average driver). If your just driving a grocery getter, change the rear bar and leave the rest alone. For the rest of us who like the slot car handling, bars springs and shocks are the only way to go!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 AM

First on my list is to give it a complete cleaning (both outside and inside) to remove the road salt. That stuff gets everywhere. Other plans are to install new front sway bar links (MOOG greaseable), reinstall the factory 17" rims/tires, and it will probably be due for an oil and filter change too.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Have a few things planned all dependant on money and a little help from a good friend

1). Install Wet Okole Seat Covers
2). Install Rear Sway Bar
3). Paint Calipers
4). Mount New Rims and Tires
5). Might Install New Headlights
6). Thought about Pedders but don't want to go too low with a daily driver in Michigan

Hopefully can have all this done by June 4th
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Nice laundry list.

I was gonna do tires, exhaust, and springs in a week or two. But now it looks like I might just do the whole suspension and wait till fall for a DP and exhaust so my list looks like this. If I wait till fall for exhaust I'll throw the engine mount and a Cryo2 in with it.(I really want the cryo for show and shines, purge, purge, purge!)

Tires (stockers $850)
Shocks + Struts(FE5 stuff about $500)
Pedders Springs($400 w/shipping)
Swaybar bushings($40)
Moog endlinks($30)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

I would do a test fit of the wheels first. My 16" Catera wheels were hitting the front brake calipers and required 1/8" spacers. Your 17" may not, but would be a good idea for you to check.

Quick Reply: My springtime plans for the HHR