General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How Can I Maximize Fuel Economy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM

How Can I Maximize Fuel Economy?

I'm looking for ways to maximize my fuel economy. Reading through a lot of the threads on here tells me that my HHR is not getting normal numbers.

I bought my 2006 LT automatic in July 2007 brand new (only 105km's on the odometer). During my short ownership I've experienced a steady 525-550km's/fill up, which works out to a measly 326-342mi/fill. This is not normal.

I've driven it like a granny since new (just passed 18K km's on the odometer this weekend), use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and top tier gas (regular Sunoco and Shell only).

I'm looking for ideas on how to increase my fuel economy to a more normal level. Would taking it to the dealer to flash the PCM yield any real results? I usually drive with the heater at the lowest setting -- does that really hurt mpg's? How about having tire pressure set to 37psi (stock 17" Firestones)? Should I change the stock intake for a drop in K&N filter or even the aftermarket K&N intake kit?

Fuel economy is the main reason I traded in my 1997 Monte Carlo Z34, with the HHR being the best looking vehicle of the bunch! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Here are some tips and things to look at to improve your mpg and it is an US government site http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM

My 2007 LS with the 2.2L engine gets a steady 25 MPG in around-town driving, which is basically all that I do. The occasional highway cruise yields a little better than 30MPG. I would say that's about average.

The 10% ethanol blend which is becoming ubiquitous in the US does not help matters at all. Ethanol does not have the energy density of gasoline; therefore, you cannot go as far on a volume of ethanol as you can on an equal volume of gas. Overall mileage is reduced under all conditions.

I wonder if there is any region of North America where 100 percent gasoline is still obtainable....

And I also wonder if the EPA estimated MPG figures are based upon a 90/10 gasoline/ethanol blend.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM

How many gallons are you putting in for the 325-350 miles? That would tell a lot more about how reasonable your mileage is. Also, is that in highway, town, or mixed driving? On the surface, your numbers sound resonable but we need to know more to be sure. 325/15 gallons (a guess for a fillup)=21.66MPG. If you drive primarily in town or it's really cold out and your driving is a mix between city and highway, that would be normal on my HHR. I usually experience 24-25MPG, but my drive to work is more of a mix between highway and in town. When my wife drove this car, she barely got 20MPG because she drove it almost completely in town.

To answer some of your questions, the heater should have almost no impact on economy. The A/C on the other hand will rob maybe 1-1.5MPG in my experience. I have slightly increased the PSI in my tires and it made a slight difference in economy. You will experience a mildly harsher ride, and possibly a bit less grip from the tires, but 37PSI is well below the tire's max. I wouldn't expect an intake kit to do much at all for the mileage.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 AM

Driving slower (impossible 4 me) 60mph as appose to 75/80mph and keeping up with the air filter along with oil changes, showed a slight improvement for me.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
How many gallons are you putting in for the 325-350 miles? That would tell a lot more about how reasonable your mileage is. Also, is that in highway, town, or mixed driving? On the surface, your numbers sound resonable but we need to know more to be sure. 325/15 gallons (a guess for a fillup)=21.66MPG. If you drive primarily in town or it's really cold out and your driving is a mix between city and highway, that would be normal on my HHR. I usually experience 24-25MPG, but my drive to work is more of a mix between highway and in town. When my wife drove this car, she barely got 20MPG because she drove it almost completely in town.

To answer some of your questions, the heater should have almost no impact on economy. The A/C on the other hand will rob maybe 1-1.5MPG in my experience. I have slightly increased the PSI in my tires and it made a slight difference in economy. You will experience a mildly harsher ride, and possibly a bit less grip from the tires, but 37PSI is well below the tire's max. I wouldn't expect an intake kit to do much at all for the mileage.
I let my tank go right to empty, most times I get the low fuel chime before filling up completely, so a full tank gets me those numbers.

I commute to work with a mix of highway and city driving. Although come to think of it the highway commute in the morning is especially slow. Maybe it is my drive that is yielding the poor returns, but by that much? Hmm.....
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jbbadboy
I let my tank go right to empty, most times I get the low fuel chime before filling up completely, so a full tank gets me those numbers.

I commute to work with a mix of highway and city driving. Although come to think of it the highway commute in the morning is especially slow. Maybe it is my drive that is yielding the poor returns, but by that much? Hmm.....
What you really need to do to calculate mileage is to see how many gallons it takes to fill. Otherwise, the number of miles really doesn't say much. Also, it isn't very good for your car to run it to empty every time. The gas in the tank is what keeps your fuel pump cool and extends its life!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Well, I've kept track of every fuel expenditure since I bought it new and it takes me roughly 52 to 57 litres to fill up, which converts to approximately 13.74 to 15.06 gallons.

The Shell stations up here in Toronto say they have up to 10% ethanol in the 87 grade, up to 5% ethanol in the mid grade 89 and no ethanol in the 91 grade. Does ethanol content markedly decrease fuel economy to the point where paying extra for the 91 grade is worth it?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM

The Shell stations up here in Toronto say they have up to 10% ethanol in the 87 grade, up to 5% ethanol in the mid grade 89 and no ethanol in the 91 grade. Does ethanol content markedly decrease fuel economy to the point where paying extra for the 91 grade is worth it?
Absolutely! The ethanol blend will really kill gas mileage.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 AM

Well, I've kept track of every fuel expenditure since I bought it new and it takes me roughly 52 to 57 litres to fill up, which converts to approximately 13.74 to 15.06 gallons.

Well, if you are doing mixed driving, that works out to somewhere around 22-24MPG, which is similar to what I get in mixed driving. If you were to take a highway trip, and kept the speed 75 or under, I would expect 27-30MPG, unless there were high winds that day. I agree with the previous poster that the non-ethanol gas would get you better mileage, plus the increased octane does get marginally better economy in the 2.4.

Quick Reply: How Can I Maximize Fuel Economy?