General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I'm new, and wondering...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:33 PM

I'm new, and wondering...

Hi everybody ! I have just joined. Glad to be here ! Before joining, I read a lot of discussions, and it's amazing how much stuff you all know, very impressive. First off, I'll start by mentioning that I don't yet have an HHR. I'm looking for one, and my ideal model would simply be a black one. I royally screwed up a few days ago when I saw one being sold by someone. It was a 2006 Ls, only had 116000km (72080 miles), and he was only asking for 3250$ !! I called him Thursday night to go visit it, but being that he had his ad for a few days, he said it had already sold. I was so peed... Anyways, I want to get the doors painted in grey to get the ever-so-cool 2 tone look going. I have to say though that, like most other people, I've been doing my research, and I've obviously read some good stuff, but some bad stuff too. I'll tell you a little about me. I don't really know about cars, although I want to learn how to fix things myself (as much as possible). I'm a father and have young kids, so my time is rather limitted, but the reason I want to make my own repairs is to save $$ and feel proud to be able to do things by myself. Problem is, there seems to be some recurring issues with HHrs in general. I know for the most part, it's all things that I could learn to fix, but realistically, being that I don't have experience working in cars, is an HHR too big of a challenge for me to start with? I should clarify that I'm a major 50s lover (the era ) and I've wanted to have my own Hot Rod since a very young age. Realizing that to own an actual antique car would bring a lot of difficulties that more modern cars wouldn't have (like finding and importing parts), I then started to look at modern cars with retro looks. So here I am, looking for an HHR. I just want the car for week-end joy rides with the family, and I would store it during winters. I would probably use it less than 4000km (2485 miles) a year. I know you can't make the decision for me, but feel free to share your opinions with me. I'll consider them all in making my final decision. Please let me know things like preferable years (if any), features to look for or avoid, things to check for when I try one, etc... Btw, thank you for spending the time to read and responding to this. Have a great week-end ! Cheers.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

HHR's have their own little kind of issues. BUT. Almost any make, model, or year of any car will have their own specific issues or problems
The HHR is about middle of the pack when it comes to issues or repairs and reliability. It is what it is. A small economy car but with retro styling.

Just remember. A 2006 model car is around 10 years old. Regardless of the mileage, it still has the age factor going against it.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 PM

And there were a couple issues in the 06s that were fixed in 07 along with engine and electronic changes, more colour choices. If it were me I'd go for 07. Always a good idea to avoid the first production year of any vehicle.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Thanks firemangeorge. It's true about the age of the car. I hadn't thought about that. Only problem is that my budget (which I'm sorry I hadn't mentioned earlier) is about 5500$.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 PM

Thnx prod. I didn't even realize that 2006 was it's first year. When you mention the engine and electronic changes in the 2007 model, are you partly refering to the popping up engine light codes and such?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 PM

Btw prod, that HHR photo at night is amazing !
Old 11-07-2015, 03:36 AM
Deceased

Even though we've already exchanged PM's, I'll still owe you a public aboard!

'06 model year HHR's have enough mechanical and electrical differences from the following model years that I consider them "Stand Alone" models, as an example, the engines were almost completely redesigned for the '07 models and beyond.

Some things to check....

1. Run a CarFax on any potential candidates, although some things do get missed by CarFax, it's still a great way to see if the vehicle has an accident, flood damage, history as a former rental, etc.

2. If it's being sold by a dealer, have them put it on a lift to look for corrosion, especially of the fuel lines that run directly in front of the left rear wheel, as HHR's in Snow Country age we're hearing of more rotted out fuel lines than ever before.

3. Look at the suspension components for crumbling bushings and signs of accident damage.

4. Have the wheels pulled and check the brake pads up front, and the shoes and wheel cylinders on the rear.

5. Look for fluid leaks on the front struts and rear shocks, that means they're on their way to failure.

6. Check the boots on the CV joints and inner Tripod Joints on the halfshafts, split boots mean new halfshafts, or reman units will be needed.

7. Look for fluid leaks, oil, coolant, and transmission.

8. Check the tires for odd wear patterns, as thay are great indicators of suspension wear, and also check tread depth, and a matched set of tires is preferable to Brand X up front and Brand Y on the rear. Mismatched tires indicate a former owner doing things on the cheap.

9. Remove the oil filler cap and dipstick from the engine, chocolatey goop indicates coolant in the oil, run away quickly if you see that.

10. See if there are any maintenance records with the vehicle.

11. Test drive it, and make it a long test drive, no five minute "zip around the block" type of test drives because they're worthless. Pay attention to clunks, rattles, squeaks, brake pulsation, and engine noises.

12. Listen to the engine with the hood open, it should purr happily, any clicking or rattling from the passenger side of the engine can indicate a failing timing chain, tensioner, or guides.

My brain cell is out of ideas for now, but there'll be more responses coming.

And prod is a fantastic photographer, along with being a great guy and fine disgnostician where these Trucklets are concerned.

Plus we do call them Trucklets, it's a point of pride thing to set them apart from the bland lookalike cars on the road these days.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:54 AM

Thank you 843de. Lots of things to look out for. I appreciate the extensive list and I'll make sure to look at most of these things. I may have a problem with some of the points (if I'm not visiting a dealer's Trucklet), but I'll check the other things out. It reminds me to share with you what 2 different mechanics I know think of older cars. One thinks anything that's 10 yrs old and more is basically a lemon. The other mechanic believes that anything can be worked on. Two totally opposing views. I guess the true answer is somewhere in between. I'm visiting an HHR later today. I'll bing this list of things to verify. Thnx again !
Old 11-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!!! Just drive it and it will tell you if it likes you or not!!!! These Trucklets seem to have a mind of their own!
Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Cool, thnx Oldblue. Btw, I love the look you gave to your wheels. I'll let you know later what my impressions are after I try it. Cheers !

Quick Reply: I'm new, and wondering...