General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

i'm tired of fixing items on my HHR that fail because of bad design....

Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 PM

i'm tired of fixing items on my HHR that fail because of bad design....

So adding to the list of things that have failed on my LS that would not have if designed properly.
so I have the rusted out fuel line just like the Cobats that got a recall for the same issue. Dealer has no explanation as to why the same issue on the HHR has not had the same recall.

And now the clutch master cylinger has pushed through the tin firewall.......
took it to the dealer who says oh yeah we have a part that can replace that but, we can't fix it. Apparently they have no idea how to replace the plate that the cluster mounts to......
i asked could the not just take apart the peices blocking the plate and then putting the new one on and reassemble everything? Apparently not. They had their bodyshop quoate a minimum of $1000 just to start the repair.

What gets me is that this is a metal fatigue issue. The metal firewall is very thin and there is no reinforcement. Simple plastic tabs on the master held up better that the steel.........

Rant over
Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Technical Moderator

Sorry.

Dealership technicians can only bolt parts on and off. If you want a "fix" you need a good "old time mechanic".

The dealership guys and most other technicians don't know what fabricating means.

You do not need to go to a GM shop unless you are under warranty or recall!!!!!!!!!!!!! The techs at my local GM dealers went to the same schools as the techs at Firestone. I would not trust my car to either business.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:20 PM

The truth is that thin firewall is why you get the gas mileage that you do. They could have used stronger and just as lightweight materials just as airplanes do. Then again, some airplanes cost 30 million dollars. Also airplanes have stress cracks too and the mechanics install doublers over them. The Lockheed L-1011 flew for about 30 years, by the end, the door frames had 5 layers of aluminum just to strengthen that spot.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Funny thing is it is a bolt on part. The peice of the firewall that the pedal cluster and clutch master mounts too just unbolts.......
they offer a replacement part......

Unfortunately I guess there are too many things to unbilt to replace it.....
there must be some kind of quota of how many bolts they can undo before the job becomes impossible....
Old 03-14-2015, 04:49 PM

You probably need to search out a small independent shop like I had in Georgia. Them guy's would tackle anything. Stood behind there work too. They got a new counter man, I walked in and just told him when they rotated my tires they stripped two studs and I said what are you going to do about it. He said we're going to replace them give me the keys. No receipt, no argument. I was back on the road in 10 minutes. They had all my work after that.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM

A thicker firewall would help but an easier solution would simply be a reinforcement ring around the quarter turn hole. Less chance of flimsy metal giving way.....
I'll bet it would have no effect of fuel economy and add mere pennies to the manufacture cost.
just saying.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Being from Hamilton Ontario............ don't they have a lot of salt on the roads there during the winter months?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:21 PM

Strange, in seven years reading about hhr issues here i have never heard of either of these problems.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think there was a post or two some time back about someone else having rusted out fuel lines - which speaks well for regular inspections or protection of the sensitive parts in salted areas.

ahh, just did a quick search:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...el-line-48462/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...s-times-51014/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ck-tire-49784/
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Administrator

My 2007 doesn't have the fuel line or the brake line rust issues , I do wash and flush the underside often with clear water.
Now about the firewall issue contact ChevroletCustomerService via PM, maybe they can help

Last edited by Oldblue; 03-15-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i'm tired of fixing items on my HHR that fail because of bad design....