General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Keyfob Programming find

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Talking Keyfob Programming find

This may have been discussed and already discovered but I am new to the forums for posting. I did a search on this before posting as well. I apologize if I overlooked it.

I want to take this time to share a helpful hint to anyone who need to or want to replace a lost/broken wireless keyfob for your car. I have gone through a couple with the current car I own, first one was an OEM that I got when the car was sold which a locksmith made it then. The board went bad in it. The second one I bought by doorman which you can can get at any auto parts store, came with a new remote and a OBD2 programmer for programming it yourself. This worked great, but the buttons wore out and the case broke in several places and wasn't like the hard material the OEM one was. So, today I went and bought an OEM keyfob from the dealer. They sold me the keyfob for $45 but then wanted to charge $55 to program it. I was frustrated with these prices but expected it. I decided not to program it today because they had over an hour wait. Doing research, everyone said I had to have the Tech2 scan tool which I do not have obviously, and got the bright idea of trying the old Doorman programmer to see if it would work. Guess what, IT DOES!!!! So I just programmed my remote for free! Thank you dealership for being slow to work on cars and steering me away today! You saved me money! So as an ending, if you can get your hands on a doorman keyfob programmer, it will save you some cash!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Technical Moderator

You are correct, it is old news, but we welcome reports. Spell Dorman right and you will most likely find the references.

The search does not really like 3 letter words, try "keyfob".

Like this one from 9/13/14: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...ng-find-51706/
And this from 11/19/14: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...key-fob-52337/

And a few others that cite part numbers, there are now a few different brands out there, easy to find on eBay and Amazon.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Thank you for the search help on the forums. Different forums are setup differently and I am just now getting active on here. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone. Thanks again!

Lovely autocorrect on mobile device didn't like how I was spelling the name out...