General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A man and his HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 AM

A man and his HHR

I love my Zombie Van.

I'll be the first to admit that my car has had it's share of the common problems, but it has never let me down. BE WARNED, this response will get philosophical.

I can say I will not be parting ways with ZV for a while. The Japanese believe there is something within a car. It's not "life" per say, but an energy. An "Aura" if you will.

To be honest, at first I hated the styling of HHR's... but they started to grow on me. I was, and still am a Ford boy, but the HHR bug caught me.

I found ZV hidden behind the rows of "look at me" cars in a small used car lot. Judging by the Carfax report, the car had only put 200 miles on since being titled in Wisconsin in 2011 (formerly a lease car in Michigan.)

At first, I was struck by how the light in the lot hit the car (I found the car at night.) The more I looked, the more I fell in love with it. I noticed the 5 speed, and the window sticker told me it had the 2.4 engine. I'd never seen that combo. I decided I needed to come back for it.

On Valentines day, 2012 I took what would become my Zombie Van for a test drive. The seat fit me perfectly, the clutch felt perfect and grabbed well, the steering was surprisingly responsive and for a car with a slightly higher center of gravity, and moderate weight it accelerated and handled well.

I wasn't so naive as to drive right back to the lot and snag it. I took it to a mechanic that I've trusted with every car I've ever owned. I went into it expecting something to be off. The car was 6 years old and only had 50,000 miles on it. It had to have been crashed or SOMETHING.

To my surprise, the car checked out, except for some sandpapering on the front bumper and rear fenders. I drove the car back to the dealership, liking the car more with each mile I put on. I knew I wouldn't be leaving the dealership without that car.

I got to the dealership, parked the car and walked into the office. I sat down, and said "let's talk." After negotiating the price down from $10,000 to $8,000 with the agreement that they would provide me with an additional key and a new remote, I drove the car off the lot.

That first day, I put 160 miles on it. I took it through backroads, making full use of the manual box, maxed the speed on some unmonitored, arrow straight roads learning its road manners. The car responded exactly as I wanted it to, with every command I gave it.

Over the past two years, I've put 40,000 miles on it. In that time, I've had the front bumper repainted to eliminate the sandpapering, added a scheme to make the car look like something out of a Resident Evil film, spruced up the interior with some blue carbon fiber trim and upgraded the front braking system and fixed the notorious break that happens to the sunroof wind deflector.

I have yet to remedy the creaking and clunking that started after the first year of ownership, but those things can wait as they haven't negatively effected ZV's drivability.

Two years later, I still walk out to my car and smile. It's become a bit of a celebrity in the wake of becoming a promotional vehicle for the haunted house I run (hence the name Zombie Van.) People snap pictures of it, take video of it and give me a nod, thumbs up or some other sort of acknowledgement on the road.

Besides all of that, he's been reliable, practical, economical and fun to drive.

Remember how I said cars have an aura, or energy? ZV's "personality" is just like mine, it can be a speed freak or a hypermiler, a corner carver or a comfortable long distance cruiser and will lend a helping hand to those in need.

He's more than a car to me, He's a constant companion and a friend. He seems to know what I like, and gives it willingly. In return, I treat him well. He gets fully detailed, full synthetic oil and only premium fuel.

Some might call me crazy, but I have a bond with that car. One that will not be easily broken.

I love my HHR, and though not alive, it seems pretty happy with me too.

Here's to many more miles!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM

its nice to hear that your still in love with your hhr. I still enjoy mine very much. I too will have mine for many years to come.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic
I love my Zombie Van.

I'll be the first to admit that my car has had it's share of the common problems, but it has never let me down. BE WARNED, this response will get philosophical.

I can say I will not be parting ways with ZV for a while. The Japanese believe there is something within a car. It's not "life" per say, but an energy. An "Aura" if you will.

To be honest, at first I hated the styling of HHR's... but they started to grow on me. I was, and still am a Ford boy, but the HHR bug caught me.

I found ZV hidden behind the rows of "look at me" cars in a small used car lot. Judging by the Carfax report, the car had only put 200 miles on since being titled in Wisconsin in 2011 (formerly a lease car in Michigan.)

At first, I was struck by how the light in the lot hit the car (I found the car at night.) The more I looked, the more I fell in love with it. I noticed the 5 speed, and the window sticker told me it had the 2.4 engine. I'd never seen that combo. I decided I needed to come back for it.

On Valentines day, 2012 I took what would become my Zombie Van for a test drive. The seat fit me perfectly, the clutch felt perfect and grabbed well, the steering was surprisingly responsive and for a car with a slightly higher center of gravity, and moderate weight it accelerated and handled well.

I wasn't so naive as to drive right back to the lot and snag it. I took it to a mechanic that I've trusted with every car I've ever owned. I went into it expecting something to be off. The car was 6 years old and only had 50,000 miles on it. It had to have been crashed or SOMETHING.

To my surprise, the car checked out, except for some sandpapering on the front bumper and rear fenders. I drove the car back to the dealership, liking the car more with each mile I put on. I knew I wouldn't be leaving the dealership without that car.

I got to the dealership, parked the car and walked into the office. I sat down, and said "let's talk." After negotiating the price down from $10,000 to $8,000 with the agreement that they would provide me with an additional key and a new remote, I drove the car off the lot.

That first day, I put 160 miles on it. I took it through backroads, making full use of the manual box, maxed the speed on some unmonitored, arrow straight roads learning its road manners. The car responded exactly as I wanted it to, with every command I gave it.

Over the past two years, I've put 40,000 miles on it. In that time, I've had the front bumper repainted to eliminate the sandpapering, added a scheme to make the car look like something out of a Resident Evil film, spruced up the interior with some blue carbon fiber trim and upgraded the front braking system and fixed the notorious break that happens to the sunroof wind deflector.

I have yet to remedy the creaking and clunking that started after the first year of ownership, but those things can wait as they haven't negatively effected ZV's drivability.

Two years later, I still walk out to my car and smile. It's become a bit of a celebrity in the wake of becoming a promotional vehicle for the haunted house I run (hence the name Zombie Van.) People snap pictures of it, take video of it and give me a nod, thumbs up or some other sort of acknowledgement on the road.

Besides all of that, he's been reliable, practical, economical and fun to drive.

Remember how I said cars have an aura, or energy? ZV's "personality" is just like mine, it can be a speed freak or a hypermiler, a corner carver or a comfortable long distance cruiser and will lend a helping hand to those in need.

He's more than a car to me, He's a constant companion and a friend. He seems to know what I like, and gives it willingly. In return, I treat him well. He gets fully detailed, full synthetic oil and only premium fuel.

Some might call me crazy, but I have a bond with that car. One that will not be easily broken.

I love my HHR, and though not alive, it seems pretty happy with me too.

Here's to many more miles!
You say you didn't care much about the hhr at first,well me either I'm a dodge guy have 3 but I hope I like my hhr like you do yours,I just bought mine but I'm really digging it,once I seen it and drove it I was sold.
Good post man I'm a zombie fan too.
You from Wisconsin,oh was lazy checked your profile where in Wisconsin are you from?Im in Wauwatosa.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Deceased

Dang it, got misty eyed reading that, our HHR's are part of the family, and they aren't going anywhere.

Just wonder which member here will get the first "Antique" or "Horseless Carriage" plates on their HHR, and how the kids with the Atomic powered 2054 ToyoMazdaRu Hover Cars will react to us 'ol codgers and our ground bound Chevies.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Deceased

we love all 3 of ours. 2 SS's and one highly customized 06
Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 AM

That is kinda like me. The first one I saw was a greyish color at the dealer on a cold rainy overcast day. I thought I don't like that. Then I began to see them in different colors. My wife was looking for a PT then she saw the HHRs and liked them better. We found her Victory Red 09. I drove it every chance I got. When the Cruz was announcer we stoped at our dealer to look at one on a Sunday. I happened to notice sitting sev eral rows back Metallic Red 10. We went back to test it. It 8040 miles when I test drove it. It had been a rental out of Kentucky. We bought it in October of 10. I told our salesman the only reason I spotted it was it was the only car of any color except white, black or gray min the row. We now have 39,000 miles on mine and 22,000 on hers. We plan to keep them for a LOOOONG time.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM

A heartfelt testimonial, for sure. But if you don't mind me saying so, watch out for automolove!

I was in love once. With this...

http://koczarski.com/CoolBikes/Honda.../Magna8788.htm

It's not a motorcycle but a work of art!

That terrible vixen, temptress of the night, she stole my heart at first sight. Then proceeded to cause me pain on a number of occasions. She sits now, ignored, gathering dust, all banged up, a shadow of her former self.

I make it a point now never to fall in love with things. And I will not love the HHR. Oh, I will tinker, modify, change and improve it until the cows come home. I will learn to like it. But love it?

No.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I had been looking into the HHR back in '06 , tested an '07 in October '06 it was Imperial Blue 2.2 liter with the Pioneer sound system and remote start, due to life and what it throws at you , I couldn't pull the trigger that day, I told my wife, that when I sold my current ride I would find an HHR just like that one we tested.
She said sure honey , why not just order one, I said just 'cause, fast forward to Oct '09 and we are driving thru Simcoe, Ont and I spot an Imperial Blue HHR on the GM lot, I circled the block and went to check it out, and there it was, the exact same '07 I had tested out 3 years earlier, the dealer had dealer traded for it from my local GM guys and sold it ,then had just taken it back in on trade with just 54,000 klms, I bought it and that's how I got Oldblue, kismet? I now have 256,000 klms on her 4 1/2 years later and will drive it until one of us drops!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwalkerhemi
You say you didn't care much about the hhr at first,well me either I'm a dodge guy have 3 but I hope I like my hhr like you do yours,I just bought mine but I'm really digging it,once I seen it and drove it I was sold.
Good post man I'm a zombie fan too.
You from Wisconsin,oh was lazy checked your profile where in Wisconsin are you from?Im in Wauwatosa.
Tosa eh? I'm up in Green Bay
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 11hhrlt
A heartfelt testimonial, for sure. But if you don't mind me saying so, watch out for automolove!

I was in love once. With this...

http://koczarski.com/CoolBikes/Honda.../Magna8788.htm

It's not a motorcycle but a work of art!

That terrible vixen, temptress of the night, she stole my heart at first sight. Then proceeded to cause me pain on a number of occasions. She sits now, ignored, gathering dust, all banged up, a shadow of her former self.

I make it a point now never to fall in love with things. And I will not love the HHR. Oh, I will tinker, modify, change and improve it until the cows come home. I will learn to like it. But love it?

No.
Hah! I own a 1994 Candy Glory Red VF750c Magna! Bit of a coincidence!