General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

MP3 on flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Angry MP3 on flash

I am thoroughly frustrated with the HHR radio and its ability to play mp3 files on a USB flash drive. I have some books on tape. It would be nice to play the chapters in order.

I have entered id3v1 and id3v2 tags in which the artist and album are identical. The tracks are named Chapter_01, Chapter_02. I have updated the file time and date stamps so that Chapter_01 is less than Chapter_02 and so on. But still, the HHR chooses a random order to play the files. And yes, I have it playing sequentially, not on shuffle.

Who in the world knows how the HHR selects the file order, for obviously the manual is inaccurate? Or better yet, who has tricked the HHR into determining the appropriate file order?

Help, please.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:38 AM

From my understanding and just testing with mine its by date added and it ignores alpha.

I can add an album/folder Then go back later and add more albums and they always list at the bottom.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't have a USB radio. I do listen to audio books on my laptop through the radio. I have found that some books for absolutely no reason will only play in "shuffle" mode even when shuffle is turned off. In Windows Media Player and WinAmp. Then there is the setting that I forget that goes into digital counting 1-9 is OK, but one-zero means something different to a computer, I guess it counts in octal or something.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Hmm. I have used linux to "touch" the files to update their time/date. I will check the flash drive on Windows and see what it says and let you guys know what happens.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Something interesting happened today. Over the weekend I loaded some more mp3s up on my flash drive and the radio is now displaying I'm assuming what is hidden folders.

When I viewed in windows (Show all hidden files etc) It didn't show any additional files. I will check again tonight now that the radio is showing these extra folders.

My only guess is it just creates a file directory log and when you had new music to it it just appends to that log and that's why newer folders show at the bottom
Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Technical Moderator

Like a playlist? If so, it should be editable.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Not sure since I only saw it on the radio itself. When I get home this evening I'll take it in and see if windows can see any of the files. I'll try to get a pic of it from the radio view.

Been using this same drive since I bought the SS last year and this is the first time I've been any sort of file/folders pop up other than the music itself.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM

Hidden Folder

Interesting. I do see a folder called .Trash-1000 and had assumed this was from something else. I am dumping the folder and trying again.

I have verified my file create-date and modify-date and adjusted the files so they are 1 minute different in age (not 1 second as I originally had). This did not change the sort order either. Hopefully this folder deletion will change things.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 AM

That's the same folder I had and can see on the radio now. There was a couple others in there.

Really interesting how it works. I bet the radio itself is keeping the memory
Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Deleting the folder did not change the sort order. So, I think you are right that the radio stores it in memory and my sort order is wrong due to the original id3 info I had.

The implication to me is that I need to try to clear the radio memory. OR, If I use a different flash drive, that might fix it for it is probably stored with a hardware id.

Quick Reply: MP3 on flash