General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

No low beam headlights

Old 11-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

I will double check my findings. Get back to you. The relay can be installed in reverse.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Have you even checked the bulbs yet ? Reading your previous posts I don't see any mention of this.
Your descriptions of how the lights are working (and not working), plus what you've checked, sure seems to point to a simple bulb problem.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM

The image in post #10 shows 86 goes to the switch and 87 to the device. Doesn't the wiring diagram imply one "hot at all times" reaching ground through the switch, and actually show the other "hot at all times" reaching ground through the device(bulb)? So wouldn't that mean 30 and 85 are the "hot at all times"?

Anyway, if there were something wrong with this, would it also disable the DRL's(low beam headlight, but not side markers)? Could it be that purple wire (upper left) between the DRL fuse and the low beam fuse? I just don't see much else connecting these 2 systems that affect only the low beams.

The dotted line box in the lower right of the wiring diagram is the switch. What is the dotted line box in the lower left?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

My bad, attached diagram shows the relay numbers as if it were installed in the fuse block. Bulbs check out Ok new bulb RH old LH new bulb works same as replaced bulb.
Turn light switch on with no ignition and I get lights left on but no lights. everything seems to work as it should but no lo beams or DLR with car out of park.
This is a learning curve so bear with me please. Could it be the sensor?
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2016, 04:24 PM

You've only replaced one bulb? Probability of problem being the bulbs is higher than we thought. Originally, you may have burned out one low beam, and not noticed. When the second burned out, then of course, you noticed. The new bulb you installed could have been bad. Improbable, but not impossible.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

You are absolutely right. I would first like to thank all who have gone out of their way to help me. Thank You all.
Now for the story, When I thought I replaced a bad bulb I didn't, put the same bulb back n (idiot). From all of your deductions and suggestions I checked my work. Then proceeded to install the new bulb and low and behold it worked so I replaced the right one with a new bulb and it worked also. Sooo both bulbs CAN go out at the same time.
Once again thank you all from the idiot who is so much smarter having listened to all the great suggestions on this site. Just shows to go you, that you are all very knowledgeable
and thru my learning curve may join you soon.
Thanks Again Keith
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Technical Moderator

This calls for the icon!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Tried to point you in the bulb direction earlier. Back in my old days of "turning wrenches" for a living, one of my specialties was chasing down electrical problems.
Trying to over analyze an electrical issue just leads to lost time and frustration.

Now. If I could just figure out why the seatbelt light is staying on in my old Dodge pickup.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Can only look at it as a learning experience. I have nothing but time.
Appreciate the Had it coming Eh!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Administrator

It's fixed, awesome news!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No low beam headlights