General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil capacity

Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Oil capacity

Have you noticed this: after changing my oil and cartridge, adding about 4.5 qts of oil, starting/running the engine to check for leaks, waiting a few minutes for oil to drain back into the pan, I add the remaining half qt. as necessary to bring the level up to the "full" line on the dip stick. Now when I check the oil level two or three days later, the oil level is above the "full" line on the dip stick. This same thing happened after the dealer did the first change, and I did the second. Only explanation I can come up with is that the oil in the filter/cartridge is draining back into the pan.

Has anyone else observed the same thing? I always add the final few ounces of oil to bring it up to the full line, after I run the engine and check for leaks--I'm not overfilling. It's been 6 weeks and about 2K miles since my last oil change, and when I checked the dip stick this morning--engine cold--it's still showing "overfill". I have the 2.4L engine, and even though its a good little engine, I don't think it is capable of "making" oil.

Comments, please.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:50 PM

I've noticed the same thing too. Also on my '96 Altima when they change the oil. I think the problem is that many of these 4 cyl. engines actually take just 4 1/2 qts. of oil but the guys at the auto shops just put in 5 qts. anyway! Maybe they don't know how to charge you for half a qt.!! The manuals say not to run them over full, but I never think of saying anything about it to them 'til it's too late. Hasn't seemed to hurt anything though, I've had the Altima for 9 years!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Oil overfill

hey vettman, although I hav not yet done my first oil change on the HHR (only have 1000 kilometers) I have experienced this same problem on other make vehicles as well.

I am now in the habit of filling the crankcase just below the "full" line and then waiting a couple of hours (or overnight) then making the final check and adjusting as necessary. Trying to get the level exactly right during the oil change would always leave me a bit overfull the next day.

I know this doesn't make it any easier or quicker to get the "exact" level, but it does avoid the "overfull" issue.

Once I do my first oil change and find the "exact" correct level using my "overnight" method, I will then record how much oil I used so that I can get it right from there on out.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Yep, I've seen it as well.

When I check the oil, it's about 1/4" over the MAX indicator on the dipstick. This was from a dealership oil change.

The only thing I can think of is that since the oil filter is a cartridge mounted at the top of the engine, it has no way to retain any oil when it's not running luck the "can" oil filters do, so it drains back into the pan.

The manual states 5 quarts or 4.7 litres of oil.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:11 PM

It is because the car if it is a 2.2 only takes 4.7 qrts so if you top it off to 5 then that's 1/3 of a qrt that is over its capacity. So my guess is that's why.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scottrobinn
It is because the car if it is a 2.2 only takes 4.7 qrts so if you top it off to 5 then that's 1/3 of a qrt that is over its capacity. So my guess is that's why.
Not 4.7 quarts, but 4.7 liters. Which is 5 quarts.

Also, if you look at the top left corner of each post, you will see a time/date. This thread is over 10 years old.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

It is in the owners manual. As long as you read the correct capacities. 5.0 Qts.
Oil capacity-screenshot-40-.png

Last edited by firemangeorge; 06-08-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM

My Oh My ....

It only took 10 years for someone to check the owners manual.

Alas ... FiremanGeorge to the Rescue.

Hope there is a lesson in this.....

Hate to admit it but I have been guilty of this myself.

SF
Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Technical Moderator

Oddly, this is not the only thread on the subject!

BTW, GM doesn't care exactly where the level is on the dipstick. They state anywhere between the lines is fine.

That's why they are not labelled "FULL" and "ADD" anymore.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:10 PM

I have been consistently losing 3/4 of a quart between 9000 mile oil changes. The dipstick has two lines and 4 little square to indicate level. At the beginning of the change the oil line is slightly above the top line after pouring 5quarts in and right before the change the level is exactly between the two lines. Leads me to believe that GM is okay with about two quarts lost before we really need to add oil. Hmm. Too much thinking. Just change the oil at a normal interval and all will be okay. By the time the old oil makes it into the bottle so I can bring it to the disposal store there's only about 3 quarts in there (I'm not too good with pouring lololl)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil capacity