General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Optima Batteries and the HHR update

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Optima Batteries and the HHR update

Well I just got off the phone with the Optima National Sales Manager.

Here is what they have to say on the topic of vented batteries.

They offically do not recomend to use on in a closed vehicle. They have to say that as the Optima is a spill proof battery but it also has resealable vents on the top of the Battery. These vents are their if there is a build up of pressure [hydrogen] if the battery is over charged. It will vent a small amount and then reseal. Now we are talking at charging at over 15 volts for a period of time. Gas release is rare but can happen.

Optima does offer a 78 series red top with a vent provision. It is not one of there real common batteries and it many not fit all applications.

With that said Optima is and will be redesigning their batteries over the next couple yeats to have a vent provision on the batter tops. He had no time table and it would not be the entire line at one time.

As for Running an Optima Battery. Off the record it will work and there is little chance of any problems. But with that being said there is still a slight chance you could still vent hydrogen into the interior in a small amount.

Many of these batteries have and are being used in closed cars and trunks with no issues.

Now with that being said if you choose to use on inside you are at your own risk as Optima nor myself do not recomend the use of the battery inside without a proper vent.

I will watch to see when one with a vent for the HHR is out and will post the part number.

Optima stated they are aware of the many new cars that require the vent and they will address it in the future.

Check out the FAQ's on their web site as it has some good info on their products.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM

I have a optima battery relocated in my project van, but I'm also using a NASCAR approved sealed battery box that has a vent tube to outside the vehicle.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I have a optima battery relocated in my project van, but I'm also using a NASCAR approved sealed battery box that has a vent tube to outside the vehicle.
That is one very good way to do it.

This is going to become a bigger issue as we see them placing the batteries in the interior.

My 08 Malibu has it under the back seat.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM

This is going to sound really dumb, but what is the harm? (This is my first car with the battery inside) I have had optimas in my blazer, cavalier and cobalt.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by outlandishhhr
This is going to sound really dumb, but what is the harm? (This is my first car with the battery inside) I have had optimas in my blazer, cavalier and cobalt.
Acid fumes.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Acid fumes.
Worse than that. A accumulation of Hydrogen gas could go off and make a little mess of thing.

Anyone who ever has seen a battery blow up will know what I mean. I had one go off in a Vette once. The battery had a bad terminal and the battery had a build up of hydrogen gas. Once the key was turned the terminal were it was broken sparked and the top of the battery blew off.

The likley hood of the hydrogen going off is slim to none but the risk is there and that is why they do not recomend to not use unvented.

At least that was Optima's concern for liability.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Acid fumes.
Duuuude...the good ol' days!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Worse than that. A accumulation of Hydrogen gas could go off and make a little mess of thing.

Anyone who ever has seen a battery blow up will know what I mean. I had one go off in a Vette once. The battery had a bad terminal and the battery had a build up of hydrogen gas. Once the key was turned the terminal were it was broken sparked and the top of the battery blew off.

The likley hood of the hydrogen going off is slim to none but the risk is there and that is why they do not recomend to not use unvented.

At least that was Optima's concern for liability.
In mission critical facility systems, we use flooded cell batteries that must comply with IFC regs for spill containment and venting due to gassing (prevent Hydrogen accumulation >1% of room air). But VRLAs (low electrolyte/glass mat) are implicitly exempt from spill containment and have much more relaxed venting requirements. This is probably why they are used in the average family automobile. But in mid-voltage serial strings (380-420VDC), VRLAs are more prone to thermal runaway.

With that said, I don't know much about Optima batteries, as we don't use them in my industry (I have seen them in automotive magazines). Would it be safe to say that the Optima batteries are actually flooded cell batteries with a patented venting system?

If so, it would make sense, since FC "jars" are used in the most demanding environments that require high levels of availability. I would not think that they would be safe in consumer products such as the average family automobile. Perhaps this is why Optima is marketed only to the "special applications" market.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
In mission critical facility systems, we use flooded cell batteries that must comply with IFC regs for spill containment and venting due to gassing (prevent Hydrogen accumulation >1% of room air). But VRLAs (low electrolyte/glass mat) are implicitly exempt from spill containment and have much more relaxed venting requirements. This is probably why they are used in the average family automobile. But in mid-voltage serial strings (380-420VDC), VRLAs are more prone to thermal runaway.

With that said, I don't know much about Optima batteries, as we don't use them in my industry (I have seen them in automotive magazines). Would it be safe to say that the Optima batteries are actually flooded cell batteries with a patented venting system?

If so, it would make sense, since FC "jars" are used in the most demanding environments that require high levels of availability. I would not think that they would be safe in consumer products such as the average family automobile. Perhaps this is why Optima is marketed only to the "special applications" market.
I was told by a batterry distributor that the biggest advantage of the glass mat and similar batteries is that they can be shipped by almost any means with minimal restriction, and that the longest lasting best performing batteries are still the flooded design with proper maintenance. Obviously they can only be used in one orientation. Just one more piece of information to ponder.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Duuuude...the good ol' days!
You ain't that old, are ya ???

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries and the HHR update