General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Parking Brake Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Parking Brake Switch Wiring

Hey guys and gals,

A few weeks ago I purchased an 08 SS and I love it! One thing I don't like is that both 12v outlets are hot all the time. Not a huge deal, but my gps get a little unhappy when left on on hot days. Long story short, I am curious about the wiring for the parking brake to potentially use that to trigger a relay. I have spent some time searching to no avail, so any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Technical Moderator

That would probably be a bad idea. Most of what we call "switches" in the car are actually "position sensors" that report to either the ECM or the BCM (computer). What that means is: the switch is NOT an on/off thing (strictly speaking), it IS a hi/lo sensor. Yes, that is usually the same thing to people, but not to a computer.

It would be a lot easier to use an already switched circuit at the BCM. That's the fuse box on the side of the waterfall, coincidentally, within inches of the forward cigar lighter. The switched circuits go through a RetainedAccessoryPower relay that turns off a minute or so after the key is turned off.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I'd suggest you simply unplug your accessories from the power ports!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 PM

I use an add-a-circuit adapter plugged into the sunroof position of the interior fuse panel.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 PM

I have done this!
I located an unused switching power supply in the fuse box and taped into it to provide an additional cigarette lighter port, hidden behind the foot panel.

I then removed the radio panel and ran the gps wire from the new cigarette lighter all the way up to the top dash box.

I mounted my gps in the box and put the car back together again.

Now when I put the key to the on position the gps turns on when I turn off the car the gps powers down.

And since it's mounted in the dash box, when I am parked somewhere I close the box and no one knows I have a gps and it's out of the sun.

It also has built in bluetooth, so if someone calls I just answer them on the gps and it doesn't affect the radio.

And it's important to keep the gps wire instead of directly wiring it because if your gps has the traffic feature the power supply doubles as the antennae, that's why I added a cigarette lighter rather than any thing else.

So basically the car looks stock and then I open the dash box and there it is. Very clean, no cutting. Luckily the dash box has extra room by its hinges to allow the wire through. Very easy and night and day difference, it's like it was supposed to be that way.