General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Permanently Disable Daytime running lights!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tominator
In the early '90s I was part of an accident investigation team and we concentrated on fatal accidents involving Class 8 Trucks. In well over 60% of the accidents we looked at, one or both of the drivers involved DID NOT see each other!

A SAFE driver does everything in his power to be seen by fellow drivers. Stay out of blind spots. Do not follow too closely, etc etc...

In the city in heavy traffic I would agree they should be able to be switched off, but any moving traffic over 35MPH some sort of forward lighting should be ON!
I understand all your points, and use most of them, having been a large truck driver. But to me DRLs are not a bright enough warning beacon, especially since factory lamps are about the same warm, K rating as the Sun. I'm not driving a camouflaged vehicle, so if you're not seeing me, you're not seeing me with headlights on either. Too many distractions in this day and age.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM

In some areas it is law to have them on vehicles under a certain age. You might get cited if you disable them and it won't pass a safety inspection either. I never heard of anyone wanting to modify a vehicle for the sole purpose of making it less safe.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
On my 08 2LT 2.4L Auto the fuse was #28. Took 3 seconds and I'm in bliss! I hated having to turn it off!

And the headlights still come on when its dark. Perfect.
Can you still turn the fog lights with the drl fuse out?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
I understand all your points, and use most of them, having been a large truck driver. But to me DRLs are not a bright enough warning beacon, especially since factory lamps are about the same warm, K rating as the Sun. I'm not driving a camouflaged vehicle, so if you're not seeing me, you're not seeing me with headlights on either. Too many distractions in this day and age.
An actual study done in Sweden proved that DRL do in fact reduce traffic accidents. Even though they are not exceptionally bright (on purpose) and are common place, the do make your vehicle more visible. Additionally as they become more common place, people (subconsciously) start looking for lights in their mirrors when making lane changes. Should be mandatory.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM

I disabled mine, honestly I find it annoying on other cars.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
WEB

The real problem is that too many people look, but don't see. When I used to ride a motorcycle it was almost a weekly occurrence that an automobile driver would pull out in front of me requiring me to brake. Most would then look at me trying to avoid a collision and shrug their shoulders as if to say "sorry, I didn't see you.)

I once worked in an industrial plant where the safety department took the position that everything which posed a potential hazard should have a red flashing light on it. Wherever you went throughout the plant dozens of them were visible. Consequently they were mostly ignored.

Making things more visible meets with only limited success. The problem is in the minds of the people who fail to devote enough attention to what they are doing. Hence, this is not going to be solved.

If I want lights on in the day time I'll turn them on. My fuse #31 has been pulled.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
Agreed. Several years ago, I had purchased a safety orange Ford F150 truck from the state of Colorado. My first day home with that thing, had me slamming on the brakes and laying on the horn to get the attention of a woman pulling out of a side road, dead in front of me with a cell phone attached firmly to her ear. The idiot actually had the audacity to give me a dirty look as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 AM

I love decision makers, mines disabled too.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:45 AM

I agree with others here - oblivious people wouldn’t see you if you had your brights on, fog lights on and driving around laying on the horn.

I’ve always wondered if the headlights will last longer without the DRLs?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Side markers on - fine. headlamps on, a pain. On my 2007 I've had to replace lamps four times on each side. This is not a fun task for big or even moderately sized hands. Chevy did no oneany favor by making this such a difficult task. I'm pulling the fuse on mine.

Quick Reply: Permanently Disable Daytime running lights!