General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Permanently Disable Daytime running lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
In some areas it is law to have them on vehicles under a certain age. You might get cited if you disable them and it won't pass a safety inspection either. I never heard of anyone wanting to modify a vehicle for the sole purpose of making it less safe.
check you individual state laws. most don't have DRL required laws.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
I agree with others here - oblivious people wouldn’t see you if you had your brights on, fog lights on and driving around laying on the horn.

I’ve always wondered if the headlights will last longer without the DRLs?
I am not sure but I think that you may be on to something there. I disabled the DRLs in my S10 and only had to change the headlamps once in 10 years. Now I am less than two years into this HHR and I find myself with yet another burned out headlight. Either that or this HHR goes through headlights like they are free since I have had to replace the drivers side twice and now the passenger side one.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM

It's a safety thing,even airplanes have to have their lights on in daylight when landing or taking off.Bird strikes have dramatically decreased after this procedure was implemented
because the lights made the planes much more noticeable.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by luisan
It's a safety thing,even airplanes have to have their lights on in daylight when landing or taking off.Bird strikes have dramatically decreased after this procedure was implemented
because the lights made the planes much more noticeable.
Well, if my HHR could fly and had an issue with bird strikes, I'd leave my lights on. However, the DRL is more of a hassle when the lights are so difficult to reachto replace.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM

I have to agree that most do not pay them any attention. However I still do like having them on. What I find annoying is the people who do not have any lights on when its dusk or say raining heavy outside. I think if you disable them you may not think to turn them on during times like this. Just my 2cents worth
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM

There is less chance of someone hitting me when I have them on because I am more visible.... I think I will just leave them be.

A meta-analysis of 17 studies that have evaluated the effects on traffic safety of using daytime running lights (DRL) on cars is presented. A distinction is made between studies that have evaluated the effects of DRL on the accident rates of each car using it and studies that have evaluated changes in the total number of accidents in a country following the introduction of mandatory use of DRL. Three different definitions of the measure of safety effects are compared and their validity discussed. It is concluded that the use of DRL on cars reduces the number of multi-party daytime accidents by about 10-15% for cars using DRL. The estimated effects on the total number of accidents of introducing DRL laws are somewhat smaller, 3-12% reduction in multi-party daytime accidents, and are likely to contain uncontrolled confounding effects. There is no evidence to indicate that DRL affects types of accident other than multi-party daytime accidents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9006637?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pu bmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&l ogdbfrom=pubmed
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by brazodoro
Does anyone out there know how to disable the auto running lights? I know how to turn them off, I just want them off forever! That's it! I Dont want headlamps or parking lights on during the day. When I need my lights, I will turn the knob. I checked previous threads, but no clear answers.
They aren't for you to see during the day, they're for others to see you but I guess that's not important. Buy a car that doesn't have them.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by treecem
Side markers on - fine. headlamps on, a pain. On my 2007 I've had to replace lamps four times on each side. This is not a fun task for big or even moderately sized hands. Chevy did no oneany favor by making this such a difficult task. I'm pulling the fuse on mine.
Check out the new Equinox, it looks like it has a hole that you can open to easily change the bulbs!!! I think Chevy got it right on that one!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 PM

I wonder why anyone buys a vehicle with DRL and then wants to disable it. Simply do not buy something that has that particular OPTION. It's coming soon where it will be required on all vehicles, some states already require headlights on during the day, ie: Arizona. Of course when Police will not do their jobs and actually enforce the laws I guess it really doesn't matter, I saw about 15% of vehicles with no lights on when I drove through that state recently even though there were road signs informing you that it is required. My guess would be that without DRL the figure of vehicles without any lights on would be closer to 40%. Roughly the same as those who simply will not obey the speed limit, and then most of them get upset when they're ticketed. I get really tired of the me attitude that many have, these individuals get upset when something makes them think they appear to not be cool. Honestly these people are the only ones who actually care at all. Unfortunately the number of them seems to be increasing, although the percentage doesn't seem to increase, maybe that will change now that things aren't as good as they want. I also don't believe that my opinion will change anyone's mind who has a different opinion.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I wonder why anyone buys a vehicle with DRL and then wants to disable it. Simply do not buy something that has that particular OPTION. It's coming soon where it will be required on all vehicles, some states already require headlights on during the day, ie: Arizona. Of course when Police will not do their jobs and actually enforce the laws I guess it really doesn't matter, I saw about 15% of vehicles with no lights on when I drove through that state recently even though there were road signs informing you that it is required. My guess would be that without DRL the figure of vehicles without any lights on would be closer to 40%. Roughly the same as those who simply will not obey the speed limit, and then most of them get upset when they're ticketed. I get really tired of the me attitude that many have, these individuals get upset when something makes them think they appear to not be cool. Honestly these people are the only ones who actually care at all. Unfortunately the number of them seems to be increasing, although the percentage doesn't seem to increase, maybe that will change now that things aren't as good as they want. I also don't believe that my opinion will change anyone's mind who has a different opinion.

First and foremost, DRL's are not an option on any GM product. They are standard. The reason why some want to disable them, is to be able to install HID headlights. The DRL's run at half the voltage of the headlight when on normally, and this will burn up the ballasts for the HID bulbs from repeatedly trying and failing to fire the arc in the bulb.

IMO, GM should have left the DRL's in the marker lights. They do the same job, and don't complicate what would otherwise be a simple upgrade to the vehicle. The cheap little amber bulbs are also MUCH cheaper than headlights to replace.

Quick Reply: Permanently Disable Daytime running lights!