General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Personalized Plate Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Personalized Plate Problems...

Awe Crap...

My first choice for personalized plates was turned down....yesterday I got a call from the DMV...seems they think my requested plate "LAP DNCE" might be offensive to some...actually I was kind of expecting to get it turned down.

Since I've put the "Glamour" graphics on the car, my next choice as "GLAMOUR" and the DMV girl told me that was available and would be approved, sooooo...in a few weeks time, they should be here.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 PM
RF2

I have a clock business called Father Time. When I wanted a plate with "F-Time" on it, it got shot down too. DMV has no humor.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:20 AM
Deceased

NC hasn't had a problem with my 2006's tag "RATSRUMP", basically meaning I couldn't give a Rat's A** somedays, but there might be someone out there who will get behind me in traffic and get their knickers in a twist. And I'll get a "Grumpy Gram" from Raleigh eventually.

Your State's DMV's aren't picking on you Per Se, it's just their way of avoiding the headaches of dealing with the "Twisted Knickers" crowd and their inevitable complaints.

The most famous recalled Vanity Plate still has to be the Virginia "Kids First" tag scandle and lawsuit from 2009-2011. The plate's owner meant it in jest, and as a tongue in cheek play on words, Virginia's DMV and Court System didn't get the joke.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Somebody in Ontario has Oldblue on their tags already!!!
They won't give up their info so I can buy them! The annual tag hasn't been renewed in 8 years !!
You would think that I could get them after a few years dormant!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Personally, I think if someone wants a X or even XXX rated plate, they should be able to get it...The state could just charge a little extra. Here it's $15.00 a year for personalized plates...Heck, I'd pay $30.00 for my LAP DNCE Plates...
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
Personally, I think if someone wants a X or even XXX rated plate, they should be able to get it...The state could just charge a little extra. Here it's $15.00 a year for personalized plates...Heck, I'd pay $30.00 for my LAP DNCE Plates...
Good price you folks pay for those tags. In Alabama, it's $50 a year extra for the personalized tag.(Yeah. We only get 1 tag. No front plates here. )
Old 11-06-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Somebody in Ontario has Oldblue on their tags already!!!
They won't give up their info so I can buy them! The annual tag hasn't been renewed in 8 years !!
You would think that I could get them after a few years dormant!
Sounds like California. Once you buy the personalized plate, it's yours. You own it. They charge you to register it on a vehicle but if you choose to hang it on the wall in your garage that's up to the owner. I got tired of paying extra every year for my WAWUZIT (What was it?) plate that was on my GTO so there it hangs.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Deceased

I'd forgotten about that deal in California where you own your tags, that explains why so many people on the Exotic Car/Classic Car forums have been up in arms over the DMV out there starting to make the "California Black Plates" available for purchase.

It seems that 1960's vintage "Black Plates" used to go for a pretty penny, and now instead of hundreds or thousands of dollars for a set, you can order 'em up for $50. That's cheezed off plenty of folks who thought they had a fortune hanging on their garage walls.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM

In Michigan, I keep waiting for a specific work to come available, but it is still taken. In the past I have had FURIOUS (70 Sport Fury) and IMPRGAL (69 Imperial...and I'm a gal lol). Next one I want is ANYTIME...but that one is of course taken.

Hmmm...would it cause probs if I used FURIOUS on the front of the SS even though Michigan only has rear plates? Has anyone ever tried it??

Christine
Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 AM
Deceased

You might get pulled over imperigal, while there are no prohibitions in the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code over "Novelty" front tags.

There is a statute that makes it an offense to have an expired, or mismatched State Issued Tag displayed on your vehicle, so you could be cited and fined.

Quick Reply: Personalized Plate Problems...