General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Radiator cold fill line?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Radiator cold fill line?

First week with my 2009 LT1, 2.2 engine. Where is the cold fill line on the radiator overflow tank? The manual points to a unidentifiable shape and I can't see any lable when I look all over the tank. The bottom plastic tube port has fluid in it but the tank, from what I can see, doesn't. Can anybody help? Anybody have any photos? Thx.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM

look at post # 26 by Brad (ChevyMgr) of this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...0118&page=3#26
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks.

When I bought the car and was inspecting it I noticed the overflow tank cap was not secured. I hope it's low because some fluid just splashed out although I don't see any residue on the engine and don't smell any coolant either.

Doesn't this car have a low coolant level warning system? It seems to monitor about everything else. It seems to have been running at the proper temperature and I don't think it over heated.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:15 PM

pstar-my 2.2 2009 was low also when I bought it. Once you fill it to that little ledge in the back of the tank (facing motor-about 2 inches from bottom of tank) you would only have to worry if it kept getting low. Probably happened from the factory...
Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Thx Blacknight~ I bought it with 30K miles on it so lord knows what happened or how long it's been like this. I have to admit I was a bit lax in inspecting the engine since it's still under full warranty. It seems to be operating flawlessly though so hopefully it's just one of those things. I'll definately be watching the coolant level carefully before the bumper to bumper warranty expires.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

I fill mine about 1" higher than that lip. & I made a Black sharpie mark on the pass. side (easy to see) at that level..

After running long & hard it is still not too full in the overflow jug. So I'm sticking to that cold level.

Last thing you want, is for Air to be sucked into the cooling system..
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
..... I made a Black sharpie mark on the pass. side (easy to see) at that level..

That was the first thing I did when I took her home
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Well I followed the manual instructions an filled fluid in the main radiator cap till full (couldn't see any in that tube at all) and then filled the over flow tank to the top of that bottom ledge deal. I must have put in 20+ oz. Yikes. I drove around for 30 minutes and the radiator temp reading peaked at 190 degrees. I checked the level again and it came up about an inch or so in the reserve tank. No leaks or hising sounds noted. Hopefully either the fluid sloshed out from the open reserve tank cap or it was never filled completely to begin with.
I bought the car from an independant car dealer who buys cars for clients at the dealer only auctions. He said it was a car he bought for an employee to use and didn't need it anymore. His employee only put 4k miles on it. I saw the original paperwork and the first owner was Enterprise. He said is could have been a daily rental or they also do corporate leases.
I see the oil meter guide shows 36%. Who knows when the oil was changed or if they reset the oil monitor. Guess I better do that asap.
I discovered Haynes doesn't make a service manual for the HHR. That stinks. I also discovered none of the after market car rack companies make a roof rack that fits the HHR. This is the 4th year in production. I wonder why these companies are lagging so far behind?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Just an FYI update. The dealer pressurized the system for three hours and and said it did not leak at all. They put some green die in the fluid and told me to drive it around for a few days and come back if the level goes down. Lol, the radiator fluid looks the old kind now with the green color. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

One other note, I asked them about getting a spare key. $60!! and they said it's not available on line aftermarket. I just ordered one on line for $13.