General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rodents!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 AM

Rodents!

This happens a lot:

I love the little furballs, but sometimes they leave scratches on the finish.

I'm afraid making the car slipperier with Zaino etc will just make things worse.

I know someone will suggest a shotgun, but c'mon, what to do?

If it is not our cats, it is the ones from the woods. Heck, I've had a raccoon on a car trying to get into the trash cans

Anyway, noting critical, just an observation of yet another thing in the world that can wear out our car's finish.
Besides, they were getting along so nicely today! Usually, Snow White, the one on the sunroof, chases and beats up any cat she feels like She is queen of all she surveys And she is not even ours

Another tough girl cat visits often as well . She has no ears due to a rough kitten hood no doubt But when she visits from the woods, all others clear out! That is until Snow White moved in.. Now She is the dominant cat and even chases out old Double Bent Ear Orange Kitty ( the tough one from the woods ).

The secret has been keep them fed and there are few fights. Mostly they all get along anyway and just lay on warm surfaces, like all the cars that visit , or seek shade beneath said autos.

I had cats years ago that would jump onto my Buick Park Avenue as I rode up the drive way
Two of them would do it at the same time, one on each side of the hood. Then they would trot towards me as I rolled down the power windows and they'd jump in! This was their routine and mine. Wow, that was twenty five years ago, where does the time go.................

Cats are odd and fun.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM

No shotguns here although as I have said before "I like cats..........in teriyaki sauce"
Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 AM

id have to do something about that
Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
No shotguns here although as I have said before "I like cats..........in teriyaki sauce"

I suppose I could have added a "death to kitties" Poll with various devilish ways to off the critters, but I figured I'd just post and see what folks thought of kitties and cars. They mix, but at a price!

My friend's dad backed over three or more cats and kittens at various times as his children grew. They'd get a cat. He'd back over it . They'd get a replacement cat, ditto...

Finally they got a dog........... a neighbor hit it

What to do, children need pets...... goldfish it was

So the unofficail poll is one to one.
I like cats = one
Fire watcher does not = one ( Teriyaki, garlic too I hope )
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

There are several humane ways to get rid of them. If you want to spend money you can get something like this Cat Stop or there is cat repellent spray at Petsmart. You can also try some natural scents that cats don't like.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Well we love cats. We had a Tortoise shell cat that lived for 25 years but finally died of old age. We went many years after Cindy died without another cat. The worse thing that ever happened to her was that she went to sleep under the hood of my car on the shroud between the radiator and fan. On my way to work I noticed hair coming out of the space between the hood and fender. When I got to work I looked under the hood and there was Cindy’s hair all over the place, I thought for sure I killed her. When I got back home I found her, she had some cuts (from the fan) and huge patches of hair missing (from the belt and pulley’s), from that point on she never got near a car again. Once healed, she became her beautiful self again. About a year and a half ago we inherited a brother and sister Turkish Angora cats, he’s black and she’s white. Their names are yin and yang. They’re really long cats and can jump straight up about 8 feet. Their previous owner had them completely de-clawed so they’re strictly inside cats. So now we have two cats, three Chow-Chow’s, one Bassett Hound, and two parrots.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM

I am cat people. Or maybe I'm just possessed, this picture of Skitterbug may help to explain.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Go to a Petco, Agway, Farmer's Exchange, whatever. There are numerous humane repellents out there. Maybe you need a dog. BTW - I do like cats, not only in teriyaki sauce, but as pets. We have one that is around a million years old. Too tough to eat, so we let him live in the house. Seeing where you live Harpo, perhaps you could sneak them onto a submarine!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
There are several humane ways to get rid of them. If you want to spend money you can get something like this Cat Stop or there is cat repellent spray at Petsmart. You can also try some natural scents that cats don't like.

I've never used a cat repellent spray. I don't think I'd want to spray the outside of a car with it, but open to suggestions. As I say, the critters have to stay.

I guess the only real way is get rid of the convertibles in the garage and put the newer cars ion the garge

The cats have at times gotten locked in the garage and taken up residence in the Corvairs I keep the roofs down and I guess they like the carpets.

The good thing is, no mice in the house, garage, yard, anything. No moles either. We find a lot of their carcasses strewn about.

Mice like to enter into Corvairs through the lower cooling shroud entrance doors. Then they make their way through the eingine, into the the passenger cabin through the heater hoses. Then they take the padding from the seats and fill the cooling fins in the engine with it There they breed and the cyle repeats until the hapless owner starts the car ans spoils their plans.

Unfortunately the mice ( real rodents here ) have ruined the engine as it has a meltdown and perhaps a fire
I saw a mouse jump from my heater shrowd one day. They next day we got two cats
Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 AM

I use an airsoft pistol to keep the "rodent" population around my house repelled... most of the time, the little plastic bb doesnt even come close to them, but I think they see the bb either coming at them or going past them and it spooks them enough to run away... LOL... its a very effective way to keep them out of the garbage, off the cars etc... and its good clean "redneck" fun for me...

Quick Reply: Rodents!