General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The shifter in the HHR should be on the column.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I did qualify with "these days".

Many other cars have moved onto the dash console, even cheaper.

If you read the publicity blurb for Pursuit Vehicles, they cite shifter on column. Like the new Chevy Police car.
Don,

Have you driven a Late model Dodge or Chrysler Van.
The have the shifter on the dash but have improperly placed it to far from the driver. Useable but very inconvenient.
A major mistake OMHO.
Some of the others are not to bad but not my cup of tea for everyday in town driving.

SF
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Administrator

It's all a moot point, unless you wanted to fab a column or perhaps a button/ knob shifter, like the Dart or 200 from FCA
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Technical Moderator

I personally like push buttons on the dash. Loved those TorqueFlite MoPars.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I personally like push buttons on the dash. Loved those TorqueFlite MoPars.
First car I ever drove was a '57 Mercury with the push button.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 PM
JSK

Gotta love those Mix-O-Matic shifters in the Mopars - a built-in theft deterrent these days (thief scratching his head wondering how to make the car move).

While we're waxing poetic - how about a MANUAL shifter on that column, eh? ...my '64 Dart had the 3-on-the-tree and I loved it. (TWO of my 64 Darts - the other had a Mix-O-Matic)

It might not be the best shifter-choice for an SS, but surely they could do a 5-speed column shift, no? ...for the other models? - surely not a Cost-Effective design, by any means.

(does ANY car/truck manufacturer still make the manual column-shifter?)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
Gotta love those Mix-O-Matic shifters in the Mopars - a built-in theft deterrent these days (thief scratching his head wondering how to make the car move).

While we're waxing poetic - how about a MANUAL shifter on that column, eh? ...my '64 Dart had the 3-on-the-tree and I loved it. (TWO of my 64 Darts - the other had a Mix-O-Matic)

It might not be the best shifter-choice for an SS, but surely they could do a 5-speed column shift, no? ...for the other models? - surely not a Cost-Effective design, by any means.

My first trip to Korea (1994), I found what we called a "bongo" truck had a 5 speed column shift. Hardly anyone could drive it. But few of us had driven 3 on the tree before.. They were usually Hyundai or Daewoo trucks. Had little 12" dual's on the back.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JSK

I had a Scamp with a 3 on the floor!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JSK

The last American truck to offer a 3 speed on the column was the 1987 Chevrolet half ton pickup.

The only postwar American vehicle that I know of that offered a 4 speed on the column was the Ford Econoline/Falcon Van from the early 1960s. Some Japanese trucks come with a 5 speed on the column.

As far as manual shifters go, yes, the floor is the best place for them. Column shifters are a lot of fun partially because of the novelty of having something that 99.9% of cars on the road don't have but if you're speed shifting, a floor shift is the way to go.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
First car I ever drove was a '57 Mercury with the push button.
Tell me more about it. I'm obsessed with the '57 and '58 Mercury (and the '57 Monarch), especially the Turnpike Cruiser. I dream of a '58 Turnpike Cruiser with every available option and the Super Marauder 400 HP 430 MEL V8 engine with 3 2bbl carburetors.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Think about it. Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. What are most column shifted cars ?
From a design standpoint, the console shifter was probably easier and more cost effective for most front wheel drives.
FWD shift by a cable where RWD shift by linkages, completely different setups and agree with whats more practical for them. My dad used to convert his column shift 3 on the tree to floor shifter and thats another different setup in itself. I myself like the column shifter on automatics and love a good 5 speed manual on the floor.

Quick Reply: The shifter in the HHR should be on the column.