General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Deceased

we use a 5 inch memory foam mattress between single and double cut to fit w a tent for the back

HATCHBACK TENTS

hatchback tent The Top 20 Dumbest Car Accessories

On paper, these things kick 31 flavors of ass: Fairly easy to set up (only having three walls and all), and they let you sleep in the smooth back of your own car rather than the lumpy forest floor. In practice, though, there are some notable issues: The gaps between car body and tent aren’t 100% fauna-proof. There’s no curtain or wall on the car side, meaning passers-by can, for instance, observe you and your favorite co-camper doing the birds and bees thing. And, most damning of all, two of the most frightful automobiles in history – the Chevrolet Vega and Pontiac Aztek – offered hatchback tents in their official accessory catalogs. We’ll take “Guilty by Association” for $500, Alex.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Deceased

Oh boy CJ, the family of my best friend growing up had a Vega hatchback and they bought the accessory strap on tent.

I went camping with them one weekend and found out why Joe's mom and dad slept in sleeping bags in the tent part, while us kids got to sleep in the Vega. My back still hurts thinking about it 40 years later.

Vega's weren't much of a car, but they sucked as an RV.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 AM

When traveling to Sturgis I decided to trailer out there this time. Fell asleep a couple of times year before. NOT GOOD. As an afterthought for sleeping arrangements, I grabbed 3 exercise room flooring squares(2x2 and look like puzzle pieces)a pillow and blanket. Slept like a baby. When not needed you can take them apart and stash them behind front seats. Not pretty but works.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Car camper

Originally Posted by Drifter.
Im sure this has been done many times before, like a van in the good old days..does anyone make a mattress or bed mat to fit the rear section of the HHR? I dont want to call an HHR a mini van...its way to cool for that but it seems ideal for weekend camping trips a nice warm/cool dry place to sleep.
I decided two days before Mardi gras to head to Nola from Chicago and street perform as a magician! Awesome idea but hotels were $500 a night. So I my HHR is my camper.

A foam yoga Mat and a blanket was more then enough. It's not like I'm spending much time in it. It was about 90 outside but night time was OK. I've recently added netting... I even went to Florida after to try my hand at street performing. I've read minds all across America in this car and saved a ton of money! I even wrote a book about my adventures it chronicles where to sleep how to slower and where to eat! It even had a section on cooking food on your engine!!!!

Please PM me for info on my book.

Last edited by 843de; 07-06-2015 at 03:47 AM. Reason: No free advertising, spelling...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think that many people will be interested in the "section on coming food on your engine". You might want to proof-read that again.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 AM
Deceased

Corrected the spelling on the engine comment, and removed the link to the online retailer, No Free Advertisements per site rules please.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Do it

Small futon mattress fits perfectly in mine
Old 01-29-2016, 01:50 PM

I found a couple 'Big Agness' air mattresses at REI. They are only 3" thick so you don't loose much headroom. Two mattresses at 20" wide fills the back area perfectly. Toss a sleeping bag over both and you are good to go.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:24 AM

For me: 3" or 4" thick Twin sized memory foam bed topper + sleeping bag = win!!!

Twin size 3" memory foam topper uncut, width is exactly perfect, little long, but you can roll-up one end to use as a pillow, & a Twin XL will give a little more pillow.
Name:  dv8x64Em.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  11.2 KB

But a 3" mid-weight foam like this one still gives my 205lb frame a hard surface under my shoulders - this one is 4.5 lbs/cu ft density & should work better as a 4" thick pad. I would suggest 6 or 7lbs per cu ft for a 3" topper if you're over 150lbs. This one cost me $40 at Sams Club a few years ago.

Another option: a sleeping bag air pad: small enough to fit in the HHR, with the added comfort of air cushioning, & a small light-weight package, but some of the better ones are more expensive than a decent memory foam topper & most are only 20" - 24" wide.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:54 AM

I don't know if anyone else here is familiar with CordaRoy Sleeper Beanbags but anyways if you're not, it is basically a giant beanbag with a full sized foam mattress inside of it. The mattress is unique though because instead of it being one solid piece of foam it is instead a bunch of shredded foam. It's great if your a side sleeper. Anyways, I have used that mattress as bed for the back of my HHR with great results.

Full Sleeper: Corduroy | Choose Your Color | CordaRoy's
That's a link to the beanbag I am talking about in case anyone was interested.

On a side note, before I was able to put that idea to use. When I first got my HHR due to a unique set of events, I slept was forced to sleep in my HHR for 34 nights. At first I thought about folding the seats down and just sleeping in the back but I couldn't do it. In the end for all those nights I would just lower the front seat all the way back and I slept on it like that.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.