General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A small story/review of sorts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:16 PM

A small story/review of sorts

So I'm about 2 months into owning my first hhr. I've had 3 past vehicles a 2004 saturn vue, a 2004 silverado (currently still have), and a 02 harley sportster (also still have). So compared to the other vehicles this 2.2L is SLOW, not really a huge issue and is off set by the great gas mileage. I tend to have a hard time seeing traffic lights because of the roof line but it gives the car a nicer look, also since we are on the body style I really don't like how "skinny" the car is, I am a bigger guy so I guess it's partly my fault too lol, also the window button placement is horrible, the saturn was worse though. I will also complain that this is probably one of the most aggravating cars to wax and buff, ALOT of compound curves and nooks to get into.

So earlier this week I had a day that I had to do a multitude of odd jobs and had to grab my 26gal compressor and move it to where I was doing it, I usually have my tool bag in the back of the car anyway along with a jack and tarps (I do mechanic work on the side for extra money while I'm in school) so I initially thought of taking my truck but figured I'd try the hhr out for it. So I go and grab everything and was actually glad I took the hhr because of the low deck height (my truck had a lift on it) and everything fit just fine with room to spare. After all that stuff was done in had to go get my wife and we went to dinner with 2 other people and we all fit just fine. After that me and my wife went on a longish drive to abe ice cream place we frequent in the summer. On the way back in noticed all day through this driving and stuff I only used about a quarter of a tank. I have really started to like this vehicle because it's so versatile and handy despite its quirks.

All in all the last week has made me start to appreciate this car and I would definitely recommend one to somebody looking at one.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:26 PM

what year and all is the hhr. I take it is a 4 seater. I am 6'1" and have no trouble. I do have a panel, so I can ride with the seat all the way back. mine only has two seats.
nice story, thanks for sharing
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by papa_jo
what year and all is the hhr. I take it is a 4 seater. I am 6'1" and have no trouble. I do have a panel, so I can ride with the seat all the way back. mine only has two seats.
nice story, thanks for sharing
It's an 07 ls 2.2. It has the rear bench seat and 3 windows on each side (sedan I guess you'd call it?) I don't have a problem with the length just the width
Old 04-17-2016, 07:17 PM

I've owned over 20 vehicles in my life so far, from a piece of crap hyundai excel (which was only half excellent) to a 911 carrera, and everything in between. Despite some of the odd quirks, the hhr is a solid, dependable vehicle with proper maintenance, and it actually surprised me how much I've grown to appreciate this vehicle. On top of that, because I own a pretty sharp looking panel, white, chrome package, and a killer old school grill, i can't count how many people compliment me about it or ask if it is a custom, I say custom? There's a million of these on the road, makes me laugh everytime.
Btw, you'll def get use to the window switch placement...in a few years 8-)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trex08
I've owned over 20 vehicles in my life so far, from a piece of crap hyundai excel (which was only half excellent) to a 911 carrera, and everything in between. Despite some of the odd quirks, the hhr is a solid, dependable vehicle with proper maintenance, and it actually surprised me how much I've grown to appreciate this vehicle. On top of that, because I own a pretty sharp looking panel, white, chrome package, and a killer old school grill, i can't count how many people compliment me about it or ask if it is a custom, I say custom? There's a million of these on the road, makes me laugh everytime.
Btw, you'll def get use to the window switch placement...in a few years 8-)
Yeah I did alot of reading on these before I plunged into it. I like it and hope it treats me well
Old 04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

The newer ones got the window switches moved to the doors.

2.2 slow ? Maybe so with only about 150 hp. That's why I opted for the SS. I've got 290 hp and can get the same gas mileage as the "regular" HHR's.........
Provided I go easy on the accelerator.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The newer ones got the window switches moved to the doors.

2.2 slow ? Maybe so with only about 150 hp. That's why I opted for the SS. I've got 290 hp and can get the same gas mileage as the "regular" HHR's.........
Provided I go easy on the accelerator.
In my opinion it's slow as can be lol this is also my first 4 cylinder so maybe that has something to do with it. I pretty much got this because it was a great price and I knew the owner. The SS looks like a fun car.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Throw a fart cannon on the back and some decals, that should get you a few more ponies.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trex08
Throw a fart cannon on the back and some decals, that should get you a few more ponies.
Ohhh is that how that works lol
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Administrator

I've got an 07 LS 2.2 automatic, it don't go like stink but it is comfy, gets great mileage, and you can pack some gear in it!
As for the traffic lights, I have one of these

LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

It really helps keep me out of the chiropractor's office, I'm alittle short at 6'5"
I did have a Glide traffic light viewer, it worked very well also
Attached Thumbnails A small story/review of sorts-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: A small story/review of sorts