General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Some statistics you might find interesting

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM

When I first got interested in HHR's I went to a local dealer in my area. At that time they had already been discontinued by GM. He had about 50 HHR's all brand new 2011. This was in summer of 2012. Are you getting my drift yet? We'll you got it all those cars that were manufactured in 2011 and sold in 2012 are registered 2012
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Deceased

Not possible for them to be registered as 2012's.

Vehicle model years are clearly identified by a letter or number in the VIN.

The model year is always identified by the 10th digit of the VIN as established by U.S. CODE 49 CFR Part 565, adopted in 1980.

Fudging or tampering with a VIN to change a vehicle's model year is a Class 2 Felony.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 PM

DAMN -- and i thought my 2011 was the last year...
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Deceased

The very last HHR rolled off the line at Ramos Arizpe on May 27, 2011. It was part of a fleet order for a rental company.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM

I owned a company called Rolling Thunder Mfg. We manufactured motorcycle frames for the custom industry. We were big. We delt with everybody in the industry. I was had to get, but, I did get authority from Transport Canada to stamp 17 digit numbers on our frames. I can tell you for a fact that although the tenth digit was stamped for the year the frame was made the actual year the bike was finished and registered with the DMV was the year it was registered as.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Deceased

Aha, well there's the difference, Canadian law vs. U.S. law. And the differences between "Assembled" vehicles such as custom cycles and hot rods vs. "Mass Produced" vehicles such as HHR's.

I'm sure that when the bikes were assembled into complete vehicles, you had to provide the purchaser or dealer with a Certificate of Origin giving the date of final assembly which then became its "Model Year".

It's much more cut and dried with mass produced vehicles, their VIN numbers are assigned at the time manufacturing commences. That VIN is on the bar coded build sheet that acts as the DNA and Birth Certificate as the unit goes from steel stampings to finished product.

While a bike frame or hot rod frame may sit in inventory for months or years, the plant at Ramos Arizpe could turn the 100,000+ parts required to build an HHR into a finished vehicle in around 20 hours.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Aha, well there's the difference, Canadian law vs. U.S. law. And the differences between "Assembled" vehicles such as custom cycles and hot rods vs. "Mass Produced" vehicles such as HHR's.

I'm sure that when the bikes were assembled into complete vehicles, you had to provide the purchaser or dealer with a Certificate of Origin giving the date of final assembly which then became its "Model Year".

It's much more cut and dried with mass produced vehicles, their VIN numbers are assigned at the time manufacturing commences. That VIN is on the bar coded build sheet that acts as the DNA and Birth Certificate as the unit goes from steel stampings to finished product.

While a bike frame or hot rod frame may sit in inventory for months or years, the plant at Ramos Arizpe could turn the 100,000+ parts required to build an HHR into a finished vehicle in around 20 hours.
I've been trying to respond to your comment but both times it just vanished. Don't ya hate it when that happens
Old 03-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought.....

Wasn't there a previous discussion, and as a result that some countries label the vehicle's model year as the date it was sold. If correct, I believe we may indeed have a few 2012 models.......although not really.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 843de

Canadian law is no different than yours when it comes to the 17 digit vin code. Besides most of the 100,000 frames we made were sold to the USA. Keep in mind that we were just one of many manufacturers producing frames. The after market was so large that even the big guys like Harley Davidson felt threatened. Please don't underestimate by comparing it to the hot rod market. No disrespect meant. What I can tell you is that all those frames we shipped to the US had 17 digit vin numbers on them. What I can also tell you is that not all of them were registered with the 10th digit year that was stamped on them. I know your finding this hard to believe but even some of those 2011 HHR's that were sold in late 2012 were registered as new cars.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM

I recall having a similar discussion on the El Camino site. A few guys even posted registrations that showed that the had a 1988 El Camino which, of course, GM never built. Whatever the DMV initially puts on that registration stays with the vehicle for life, right or wrong.

Quick Reply: Some statistics you might find interesting