General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sound quality with XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Sound quality with XM radio?

I think the HHR has a pretty decent stereo, better than in my last car (a Hyundai Sonata) and WAY better than in my Mazda 6. My iPod and CDs sound particularly good in my opinion, with nice stereo separation and nice punchy bass, without being to "boomy". I've noticed however that some of the XM radio stations have pretty crappy sound, particularly XM8, the 80s station. It's sounds very dull and flat, almost like it's not even broadcast in stereo. Many of the same songs are also played on "The Blend" and "The Bridge", and they sound much better on those stations. "BPM" and "Area" sound very good too, but "Watercolors", the soft jazz station, always sounds way to "bassy", and I have to turn down the bass. Has anyone else noticed inconsistencies with audio quality on XM, or is it just me?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM

i thugoht the XM sounds alright, listen to XM8 all the time and never really noticed it sounding flat. Usually pretty good on this end.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 AM

bpm and area always sound good in my hhr ss, but i will be changing out all the speakers anyways soon, got to have a crisp deep system
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM

xm quality

I agree. I canceled my xm because of the sound quality and thats after I deadened the interior and replaced all the speakers with JL. They simply put in to much compression so they can fit in more stations. I run audio for my church and work in the AV industry so I tend to be a little more critical of audio quality.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 AM

I've been an XM subscriber for 4 years now and I've never been impressed by their sound quality. It thought it might get better when the supposedly upgraded and upped their subscription charges...but I haven't heard any noticable difference. I still like the programming choices on XM though I think they made a mistake early on signing up a bunch of celebrities in the hope of attracting listeners. I'd prefer to just have choices in genres of music (commercial free) and skip all the other crap. It would certainly hold the price down! They should offer a very basic music subscription for $4.99 a month for up to 3 radios. That would attract listeners. Sorry...took a little tangent there!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 AM

I agree that the XM sound quality is sub-par. It always sounds like they're in a a long tunnel. Other stations sound great on my HHR stereo so it must be XM. I rely on XM while on long trips and have often been disappointed.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM

I agree. I get much better sound from my Ipod. Also, I am my own program director, and listen to exactly what I want to hear.

As XM is commercial-free, I wish it were D.J.-Free, as well. There's no way I'm going to pay for the mindless chatter of second rate DJs who endlessly plug their own station / channel.

When the trial subscription is up...

Good-bye
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by jpmcnam58
I've been an XM subscriber for 4 years now and I've never been impressed by their sound quality.
Umm... why keep it then? I cancelled mine and XM offered me all kinds of "free" stuff to keep the service. They really don't understand the word "NO"....

I have the IPod hooked up and I don't miss the XM or the bill that comes with it.

Talking.... It drives me nuts!!!!

I'm paying for music, not "Dusty Street" prattling on about how many times she has seen the Stones or can't remember the 60's...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM

You can always upgrade to digital they have offered..supposed to correct this.....
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
You can always upgrade to digital they have offered..supposed to correct this.....
I thought XM was digital?
You mean they are beaming an analog signal down?

I do know that what ever signal they are using, it is way over compressed.

Quick Reply: Sound quality with XM radio?