Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Still Having Gear Shift Knob Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:47 PM

Still Having Gear Shift Knob Problems

As most of you know, I recently sent a spare steering wheel and my shifter knob (auto) in to get re-wrapped. When I got the knob back the release button was binding, and I had to return it to have that fixed...I got it back a couple weeks ago and today I went to put it on our Panel and....IT STILL ISN'T RELEASING.
The release button seems fairly loose, but when I put it back on the shift lever the button does not release the shifter and seems not to extend the button out. I had power hooked up, key was on, my foot was on brake.
I'm wondering if they still screwed it up (again) when they put it back together or if I'm doing something wrong.
When I took it apart I put it in neutral, slid the chrome sleeve down, backed out the set screw and removed the knob...didn't see any loose pieces in there that might have got lost. I can use a pencil to release the shifter by pushing down on the white plastic plunger inside the shift stick and then I can move the shifter, I can also push the white plastic piece inside the knob up and down with a pencil inside the shift knob and my finger on the chrome release button.
Is there anything I could have screwed up with such a simple job? Is there a piece inside that is loose I might have lost? I'm kinda at my wits end here.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Technical Moderator

The only thing I can think of is the plunger broke? I have never taken it apart.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The only thing I can think of is the plunger broke? I have never taken it apart.
Is there a loose piece in there that might have fallen out? Is there a fuse that might be blown?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Technical Moderator

You can push the the plunger and move the shifter, right? So, it's not the interlock solenoid.

The "book" treats the gearshifter as an assembly, so no inner workings.

I think there is a youtube about the plunger repair kit, if not, I think I've seen the instructions somewhere .

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-71.../dp/B0083H5WPA
Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Check to make sure the botton pushes the plastic piece far enough to activate the plastic piece in the shifter that you pushed with a pencil. The peeps that covered the knob prob had to take the knob apart and didnt get it back together correct. It is like a rack and pinion gear inside and it may not be set correctly. Worth a try.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM

I ordered this...It cam today is it is for a completely different part than I am having trouble with...It's the stuff inside the knob it's self I guess, this kit is for
the shifter assembly itself...If anyone needs it I'll give you a good price.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM
JR1

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
I ordered this...It cam today is it is for a completely different part than I am having trouble with...It's the stuff inside the knob it's self I guess, this kit is for
the shifter assembly itself...If anyone needs it I'll give you a good price.

Did you ever got the knob working? I've taken mine off before and I just reassembled it in the reverse order with no issues, so I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Inside the knob there is the plunger, a cam, and a spring. From what you described I thing the cam is either broken or in the wrong position relative to the plunger. If you seat the knob all the way down on the shifter the plunger should rotate the cam which pushes the chrome release button out. You mentioned the release button isn't extending out, and if the plunger is pushed all the way up the cam would force the chrome button out if it was working.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JR1
Did you ever got the knob working? I've taken mine off before and I just reassembled it in the reverse order with no issues, so I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Inside the knob there is the plunger, a cam, and a spring. From what you described I thing the cam is either broken or in the wrong position relative to the plunger. If you seat the knob all the way down on the shifter the plunger should rotate the cam which pushes the chrome release button out. You mentioned the release button isn't extending out, and if the plunger is pushed all the way up the cam would force the chrome button out if it was working.

The knob was actually disassembled and reassembled at the place that did the re-wrap...He did say something about this knob being very difficult to get back together right.
When I took it off, I remember the release button falling back and fourth of its own weight...he has it so there is spring tension pulling the button IN...which seems backwards to me. Hoping to get it back this week and hoping it works now...other wise not sure what to do. I've sent it back to them twice already.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
JR1

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
The knob was actually disassembled and reassembled at the place that did the re-wrap...He did say something about this knob being very difficult to get back together right.
When I took it off, I remember the release button falling back and fourth of its own weight...he has it so there is spring tension pulling the button IN...which seems backwards to me. Hoping to get it back this week and hoping it works now...other wise not sure what to do. I've sent it back to them twice already.

It does seem backward, but the internal spring should pull the button in. The spring in the shifter will push the plunger which pushes the button back out. I don't know why they put a spring in the knob pulling the button in. It's too small to make a difference in the force it takes to push the button, my best guess is it's there to keep tension on the button so it doesn't rattle. I didn't mention it before because to me it looks like the button should work with or without the spring. Hopefully they get it right this time.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JR1
It does seem backward, but the internal spring should pull the button in. The spring in the shifter will push the plunger which pushes the button back out. I don't know why they put a spring in the knob pulling the button in. It's too small to make a difference in the force it takes to push the button, my best guess is it's there to keep tension on the button so it doesn't rattle. I didn't mention it before because to me it looks like the button should work with or without the spring. Hopefully they get it right this time.
3rd Time Charmed I Guess...I got the knob back from Craft Customs yesterday and went to the storage shed today to put it in...AND IT WORKS...
This time after getting it set up inside he stuffed a rolled piece of paper towel inside to keep the insides from moving when the package was tossed around in shipping and that seems to have solved the problem.
He had said before that the insides of this one were much more difficult to get set right, with the gear right at the very end of travel and it would be very easy for it to get bumped out of place if the package was jarred in shipping.
I also have two videos of the inside of the knob and assemble that hopefully I can post on here, just waiting for their OK to do it.

Quick Reply: Still Having Gear Shift Knob Problems