General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Success mounting Garmin to the dash?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 PM

It doesn't obstruct my view of the road enough to bother me
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM

I bought and installed one of these mounts for my GPS. I like it much better than a windshield mount. I had the same problem with my GPS falling off.

Follow this link to Chevrolet, then the HHR. You will need this kit, plus the adaptor mount for your Garmin. I bought my adaptor for my TomTom 730.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/G3index

This is the link to the HHR kit.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/CV-56-08-G3.pdf

It was easy to install. I didn't use the J-Stem, as the GPS bounced around too much.

Best regards
Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 PM

I used the dash mount from Garmin. I mounted it to the dash with the permenant disk. I mounted it in between the gauge cluster and the storage box. For me it's perfect. You don't have to look away from the road or the gauges when looking at it. Some probably won't like the the mount stuck to the dash but it's not too bad. I ran the cable up into the dash storage box. I leave the cable hooked to the bracket. When not using I take the bracket off the mount and swing it around into the storage box. You can't see anything but the mount on the dash. I tried the temporary disk but the heat in the summer it caused it to come loose. I have a few pics in my gallery.

Last edited by Hamer1; 12-10-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 AM

I used the self adhesive "circle" that came with the Garmin and I love it between the vents. Easy to reach to type in addresses and doesn't block view of the road. I hardwired mine, see the post: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/hardwired-gps-19300/
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hamer1
I used the dash mount from Garmin. I mounted it to the dash with the permenant disk. I mounted it in between the gauge cluster and the storage box. For me it's perfect. You don't have to look away from the road or the gauges when looking at it. Some probably won't like the the mount stuck to the dash but it's not too bad. I ran the cable up into the dash storage box. I leave the cable hooked to the bracket. When not using I take the bracket off the mount and swing it around into the storage box. You can't see anything but the mount on the dash. I tried the temporary disk but the heat in the summer it caused it to come loose. I have a few pics in my gallery.
Interesting mount but it doesn't look like it would work with the Nuvi 200..I like the idea though.

At one time I thought about mounting between the vents but decided against it since I plan on adding a dash overlay kit

On reviewing my mount in the upper compartment with the lid open the view of the road isn't blocked at all - I can still see the front center of the hood
Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
This is what I did, not the best solution but when not in use which is most of the time, I keep the lid closed.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14958
I did something similiar, except I mounted the disk down verses the back. Pretty much the same results. I never had any issue with the glass though. I just like it in the compartment better, plus close it up and it's hidden. Does not block my view at all.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM

I installed a Garmin mount that I thought works fantastic. I found it on ebay from store name GPSLOT item number 330293781713. I mounted mine on the waterfall between the vents it has been holdind well for over a week now. I will post photo later

http://cgi.ebay.com/IG-PSTARA-Garmin...3A1%7C294%3A50

I hope this link will work.

John
Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Here are the photos
Attached Images    
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM

i like the look of that a lot wish it could be even more inconspicuous though.

Wonder if something could be done like that but instead sticking the part on the dash, maybe mounting some neodymium magnets on the back of it and then gluing some magnets to the inside of the waterfall so it could just stick directly to it.

I just through of this at this exact moment, and it doesn't sound like half bad of an idea. The neo's are super strong, and the bigger they are the stronger they get. No suction cup to mess with, no gluing things to the outside of the dash and the magnetic range of them is pretty short, so you wouldn't have to worry about much getting sucked on...

hmmm... very tempted to try it except i don't mind mine on the window (although the suction cup in a PITA), plus a spare mount for my tomtom is pricey.