General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sunroof functions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Sunroof functions

Since getting my SS late last year, I've only had the chance to use the sunroof a handful of times. Now thst this brutal Michigan winter seems to be coming to an end hopefully, I had the sunroof open on my way home and was trying out the tilt/ vent function. Hitting the vent switch once tilts the glass up maybe a half inch or so. Holding up on the switch again vents the glass maybe 2 inches or so open, but then closes itself down to a half inch again after 5 seconds or so. Is this normal, or is there a way to keep in in the higher vent position? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 PM

I don't use my sun roof much but once I have it where I want it it does not move until I want it to. For the sunroof to move after 5 min on its own seems strange to me
Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by MurderMittenSS
Since getting my SS late last year, I've only had the chance to use the sunroof a handful of times. Now thst this brutal Michigan winter seems to be coming to an end hopefully, I had the sunroof open on my way home and was trying out the tilt/ vent function. Hitting the vent switch once tilts the glass up maybe a half inch or so. Holding up on the switch again vents the glass maybe 2 inches or so open, but then closes itself down to a half inch again after 5 seconds or so. Is this normal, or is there a way to keep in in the higher vent position? Thanks.
Got an Owner Manual? I would say search box, but it seems to not be working right now.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Owners manual is pointless here. Pretty much says button on right tilts, push opposite direction to close. Button on left slides roof open, push opposite direction to close.
I'll try getting a video of it here in a few minutes.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Administrator

sounds like faulty switch, maybe a clean up with contact cleaner will do the trick!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Fwiw.
I know when I hit the tilt on mine, it opens about 3 inches, then at the top it hits kind of a "notch" as it reaches fully open. I'm not familiar with the internal mechanisms, but it almost sounds like a lever mechanism reaching a fully extended position.
In the full open position, mine is firm in place and does not drop down any.

Sounds like your's is maybe not fully tilting open and doesn't hit that full opened lock position.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Fwiw.
I know when I hit the tilt on mine, it opens about 3 inches, then at the top it hits kind of a "notch" as it reaches fully open. I'm not familiar with the internal mechanisms, but it almost sounds like a lever mechanism reaching a fully extended position.
In the full open position, mine is firm in place and does not drop down any.

Sounds like your's is maybe not fully tilting open and doesn't hit that full opened lock position.
Thank you! Now we are getting somewhere! Would you mind taking a few pictures of it tilted up? I'm mainly interested in seeing what the mechanism looks like from inside the HHR when fully raised. The glass sat a little "low" in the hole in the roof when I bought it, and I figured out how to adjust that, maybe there is some more adjustment for the tilt function.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Can't get any pics tonight. My SS is locked up in my shop because of the rainy weather.
I did take a look earlier at the mechanical arms on each side that do the tilting. Hard to see, probably harder to get a picture. I don't think I could see them from the inside anyway.
I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah. Even harder to get a good picture. Both shots are the right rear corner. The left side is the same setup.

Attachment 15952

Attachment 15953

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet. Still digging out from the 6+ inches of snow we got today.

Quick Reply: Sunroof functions