General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Those with two tone paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Those with two tone paint

I know there are many variables to consider, but what did you pay for your paint job? I am interested in all those who have done it but mostly those who kept the stock color for one of the colors.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 AM

I paid $1200 for the paint and another $100 for pinstriping. That was with me removing all the trim, weatherstripping, antenna, mirrors, wipers, etc. Anything that would be in the way was taken off and I reassembled when done.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM

Thats not bad at all. I would want the bottom half painted, under all the windows so the only thing that would have to be removed is the badges, everything else could be taped off.

I am thinking doing from like the factory single pinstripe down in red and leaving everything above that black, and getting some black/red wheels... I think that would look pretty good, and it would tie in with the black/red interior.

It's a rough idea that needs some thought.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 AM

Depending where the break point is, you'd still have to worry about tail lights, head lights, grill, bumpers (they require different paint to remain flexible), etc. Where the paint goes around the doors, the weatherstrip will be in the way unless removed. If you tape these things off, it's very hard to prep the edges without removing everything in the way. the little bit more done in prep will pay off in the long run as far as the quality of the paint job. If you're going to do it, do it right and remove that stuff for painting.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM

My paintjob was $1000 including the pinstripes. A sedan would cost more due to the windows and extra prep involved over a panel. I think painting the bottom would be extra too because you would want the bumpers painted off of the car. More work and more money.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM

trying to base a paintjob of the internet is not the best way of doing it. painters are so diffrent. are you painting inside the door jambs so it looks finished? are you cutting and buffing the paint so it looks smooth or just leaving it to match the orange peel paint that's stock. im sure you could find places to do it for $500 bucks and it will be a $500 paintjob. ive found with painters that you pay for quality.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM

I would have the car professionally painted and no I would not have the door jambs done because it would be a two tone paint job. I just wanted to get a basic idea of a price. Before this I didn't know if it would be $1,000 or $10,000.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sndsgood
trying to base a paintjob of the internet is not the best way of doing it. painters are so diffrent. are you painting inside the door jambs so it looks finished? are you cutting and buffing the paint so it looks smooth or just leaving it to match the orange peel paint that's stock. im sure you could find places to do it for $500 bucks and it will be a $500 paintjob. ive found with painters that you pay for quality.
Agreed, painters are not all created equal. However both Leon and I know the painters. Leon's painter did the Ridgecrest police HHR. My painter did my 63 stepside 17 years ago. I got a great deal then too. I think you need to see some of their work before you drop off your new car at any old paint shop. I passed on the door jambs because it is a company car and will be driven daily. My paint wraps around the door about 1/4" and looks just fine to me. If you are building a show car by all means do the jambs along with a few other things, but be prepared to pay for it.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Well the theme would be black and red, so black jambs along with a black top and red bottom would not look bad or out of place. I could paint them red, but it would make no difference. I would just be spending money I don't need to spend.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 AM

WELL mine was just the cost of paint and materials... We do this kinda stuff on the side... We've done lots of cars and this was our second 2 tone... we also used the stock color... i only had to come up with like $200.00 YAY for having a husband that does all this neat stuff to our cars, I've never had to pay for repairs, customization or paint jobs... I always tell him that's why I married him... lol

here's our 1st 2 tone we did, we did everything but the upholstery on the 2 seats... I dont think we do a bad job...

good luck in making your baby an extension of your creativity...

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 07-23-2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Reduced pic size

Quick Reply: Those with two tone paint