General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I have a 2009 HHR LT. The TPMS light came on yesterday. There is no pressure reading for the Right Front wheel. Is that the Front Passenger side?

A few days ago I had the Driver's side front wheel hub replaced and I am wondering if that might have something to do with the TPMS malfunction. There was no TPMS problem before the repair.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Technical Moderator

no connection between hub and TPMS. Position on a car are relative to the driver sitting behind the steering wheel.

Since you ask that question; I got to ask if you have ever checked the tire pressure with a gauge? There is no guarantee that the position are set correctly.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM

I did check all the tires with a gauge before this happened and they were very close to the readings on the dash readout. Is there a way to test the sensor without a scan tool?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Scantool doesn't do the sensors.

Have you reset the TPM positions? Using the procedure in the Owner Manual (link in my sig).

Have you checked them with a gauge after this happened?

Could be the battery died. Which means a new TPM sensor, then the relearn procedure.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Scantool doesn't do the sensors.

Have you reset the TPM positions? Using the procedure in the Owner Manual (link in my sig).

Have you checked them with a gauge after this happened?

Could be the battery died. Which means a new TPM sensor, then the relearn procedure.

I did check the tires with a gauge this morning and the three working ones were the same as the dash readout.

I didn't reset the TPM positions but today I had an alignment done. The shop swapped the front tires to see if that might be why it was pulling to the right. That didn't help the alignment but the TPMS light went off and has stayed off. I asked the service manager about the sensors and he said it's likely a bad battery as you said. He also said the batteries are only good for 5 years but I've read that they're supposed to be good for 10 years. So I guess it is likely a battery issue.

I would think with the front tires now switched that it would require re-programming but all is well at the moment.

Would you know if tires have to be re-balanced when a new sensor is installed?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Yes, but not because of the sensor. They have to dismount and remount the tire to get to the sensor, which means you have to re balance the wheel.

OK, so was the 4th tire low? That was the point to checking the PSI; to see if you had a flat.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 PM

Sorry, I didn't mention the PSI. All the tires were at recommended inflation according to the gauge I used. I would think that might indicate a low battery in the RF wheel sensor which is now the in the LF wheel position. (But working again for now)

I have a different issue with the coolant tank. Should I create a new post about that or ask here?

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Technical Moderator

Please start a new thread for new problem.

I don't think the moving is what made start working, sometimes they just lose contact for a while. It is a very low power radio, like BlueTooth.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Administrator

This might help with your coolant tank issue

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ry-tank-57161/
Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Thanks again. I will create a new thread on the coolant issue since the info I read here doesn't mention my situation.

My TPMS light returned for the RF tire even though the wheels were swapped and now the RR tire also has no reading either so could it be that all the batteries are about to fail or could it be something else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System