General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Tire pressure sensors

New to the site and finally get to post on something.

I rotated my tires the other day. Interesting process with the tire pressure sensors. My question to you all is: How accurate are these sensors? I ask because after reinflating the tires to the recommended PSI with my handy-dandy pressure gauge they were all 3 to 4 PSI off. Knowing that the gauge (stick type) may not be the most accurate I used a digital gauge. Still 2 to 3 PSI off.

My thought is the sensors in the tires are the most accurate and am looking for others experiences.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM

My service mgr said that the TSP reading are +/- 3 psi....

He said to worry if the warning light lit up on the DIC...

Cajun
Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks Cajun. The reading on mine are off by 2psi per tire compared to a dial gauge. (TPMS is 2psi lower than the gauge) After driving for a couple of miles, the indication is all tires up to recommended pressure, 30psi. Am wondering if I inflate cold pressure to 30psi using the TPMS if I may increase the fuel mileage due to the tires already being at the recommended pressure when starting? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 PM

As a rule, any of those pencil guages you buy or get for free are usually inacurate, about 5 to 10 psi off. The digital are better and the more expensive ones can be recalibrated. All of my TPMS training courses taught us there is about a 3 +/- psi differential. The batteries are suppose to last up to 10 years but I have personally replaced them at only six years old. I also have found that the aftermarket sensors seem to last longer and are more responsive than the OE sensors.