General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Towing a 2009 HHR w/Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 AM

Question Towing a 2009 HHR w/Automatic Transmission

I have a 2009 HHR with an automatic transmission. Can this be towed behind an RV (4 wheels down)? Any modifications required? What tow bar equipment is considered best for towing the HHR? Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 AM
geg

Automatic transmission can die of towing.
If it is possible - to avoid towing.
If this is not possible. Automatic transmission is guaranteed to survive after a tow to a distance of 10 - 15 miles, the speed of 30 miles per hour.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Deceased

Welcome to the forum Mary, yes the 2009 HHR can be "Dinghy Towed" behind an RV, just follow the following precautions as outlined in the owners manual for your HHR.

Dinghy Towing

Use the following procedure to dinghy tow the vehicle
from the front with all four wheels on the ground:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY to
unlock the steering wheel.
3. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
4. Release the parking brake.

To prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove the following fuse from the floor
console fuse block: 8 (Ignition Switch, PASS-Key® III+).
See Floor Console Fuse Block on page 5-109 for
more information.
Remember to reinstall the fuse once the destination has
been reached.

Notice: If 65 mph (105 km/h) is exceeded while
towing the vehicle, it could be damaged. Never
exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) while towing the vehicle.

Notice: Towing the vehicle from the rear could
damage it. Also, repairs would not be covered by the
vehicle warranty. Never have the vehicle towed
from the rear.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Hello

this is my first post thank you
Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Deceased

Well welcome aboard too Phil!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM

The HHR was made to be Dingy Towed. There is a system in the transmission that provides the needed lubrication during towing when the Transmission is in neutral. Several have wired a switch inline to deactivate the #8 fuse circuit.

See the threads below.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...mission+towing

Reading material for you in the second post
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Also found this thread on a RV site. One poster had Dingy towed an HHR over 40,000 milesvwith no issues. The OP was having issues with a thunk when starting and placing the HHR in gear after towing. To make a long story short, his dealer assisted and his results were:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2006-...lem-61947.html

I picked up the HHR from the Chevy dealer today and their answer to the problem I was having was "follow the proper procedures when dinghy towing". They said they had checked for service codes, operation of the tranny etc and everything was fine. They did say that contrary to what the owners manual says, that after the HHR has been towed, that you should replace the fuse, turn the key to start the car and then turn the ignition off. Then restart the car and place in either drive or reverse and all should be fine. The service advisor said that unless I do this, the shift sequence is out of whack and that by cycling the key thru this sequence, the transmission is "reset". Supposedly there is a TSB about this but I cannot find any reference to this TSB anywhere. This could make sense since the HHR operated just find after I had cycled the key thru the sequence twice, but I had driven the vehicle in between the cycles.

I'll try this again on a short test run as soon as weather warms up a bit and roads are clear again. I'm tired of this winter weather and want to head where it is warm and clear!!
-------------------------------------------
I finally had the opportunity yesterday to do another test run with the HHR as toad and wanted to let everyone know of the results.

On hookup, I placed transmission in Park, turned key to ACC position, then put tranny in Neutral and removed the #8 fuse and released parking brake.

I towed HHR about 20 miles with my SUV (since brand new coach is still in shop). Upon disconnecting, I placed transmission in park, started engine and let run for about 15 seconds. Turned engine off and let sit for about 5 seconds and the restarted the engine.

I just knew that I was going to have the same problems as previously reported, but I am happy to say that she ran and shifted like a charm. There was no hard thumps when placing the tranny in Drive or Reverse and it shifted perfectly up and down with various starts and stops.

So, for whatever reason, I must have the one HHR that requires this engine start/stop sequence being done immediately after towing and before driving in order to have the tranny know what to property do. I have not read or heard from anyone else that has an HHR that they have to do this to prevent the problems I was having, but it is sure a better fix for the problem that having to buy a new toad!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM

the HHR is towable because the transmission pump is connected to the driveshaft end of the transmission and is lubed when the driveshaft is turning. Other trans with the same setup are towable most are GM cobalt, cruze, malibu, sunfire. The owners manual will always tell you if your model is towable. All other transmissions are lubed when the torque converter is turning and that happens only when the engine is running. So if your vehicle is one of those the driveshaft must be disconnected (REMCO or some 4wds) or lubed through an external pump also made by REMCO
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM

I tow mine behind our Motorhome with no problem. I used a Blue Ox base plate, tow bar and the Patriot breaking system. Follow your owners manual and all should be ok. I made a switch for fuse #8 so I don't have to pull it each time, and I use magnetic tow lights. You need to keep it in mind when you are towing 4 down to drive straight forward several feet before you make a turn. This lets the car track straight and line up. You also cant back up while car is being towed. I also use Protect-A-Tow to keep stone chips off the car works great.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Cool Tow bar, brake and lights set-up

Hi! My first post here. Looks like it has been years since anyone contributed to this thread.

I bought a used RV and Hhr and now I am wondering how most people go about setting their RV and toad up with tow bars, etc.

As there is not much street space where I am at here in Federal Way, WA I have the RV parked about 5 miles from here. I am running late in getting down to Oregon to register my vehicles and doing other business so am not sure about ordering equipment through the mail.

I suppose if I go to Camping World to let them set this all up I will be charged an arm and a leg. I have been trying to find info on the internet about how to connect a tow bar to the Hhr at least but can't find anything. The Hhr Owner Manual doesn't show anything.

Is it really necessary to get an expensive tow bar? I suppose it is the customers personal option.

Quick Reply: Towing a 2009 HHR w/Automatic Transmission