General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Towing an light duty pop-up camper

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Towing an light duty pop-up camper

Have anyone tow an pop-up camper before which it light and it under their towing limit? I was looking online and saw some can able to tow it
Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I have towed a trailer, very easy, just make sure you balance the load to keep the weight off the tongue
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 PM

There are lot of opinions about trailer towing. I two with my 5spd although my manual states it's a no-no. If you use the search box at the top of the page you will find pages of people that tow and what they tow. Just type in towing with a hhr
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Welcome
There was a thread a while back on this subject, you can do a search. There is a company LivinLite that makes light weight trailers. Someone on the forum posted a photo of thers and it weighed about 850 fully loaded. I have been looking at them on line. I am going to make an effort to see one sone.
Ron
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Deceased

Give this thread a read.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/wanting-tow-trailer-39744/
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2mack81
Have anyone tow an pop-up camper before which it light and it under their towing limit? I was looking online and saw some can able to tow it
I asked all the questions concerning HHR towing capacity some time back and It Was A Fuzzy Answer from GM and the Dealer service dept.
There concerns include their Liablity and Warranty issues not just what you can tow down the road.

I have been rigging and wiring boat trailers for many years so I entered this quest with more knowledge then most I talked too.

Here is GM's bottom line "the way I understood it" on the HHR.

Towing capacity is rated at 1000lbs. gross.
It is based on the car and driver only so anything over that will be part of the 1000 lbs..
That includes extra passengers and their gear, and even your hitch receiver.
By the time the average user takes that into consideration you could end up with 6-800lbs. left for the allowable gross loaded trailer weight.
Be sure to take everything beyond the Driver and HHR into consideration and Do Not Kid Yourself.
Can you fudge on that formula ??
It looks like some are doing that and not having too many problems if they are careful and knowlegable in how they drive.
Remember .. The HHR has it's own limitations depending on the model and how it's equipted.
Aside from the overall weight of your load, you need to minimize the tounge weight to the point where the hooked up HHR handles your load predictably and safely.
There are towing tounge weight formulas, but depending on suspension and tire ratings of the towing vehicle they can be somewhat manipulated to accomodate your personal situation.
Certain States have specific Laws that dictate the Legal towing formulas and you might want to find out about your State even if you plan on traveling beyond it's borders.

This issue is not just as simple as if it weighs 1000lbs or less I can tow it.

SF
Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 PM

I see that website and seems that can able to pull that and glad to research more and more Information also that azaming that lite camper can pull that one and it really nice
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 AM

I pull a two place (stand up jetski) trailer regularly. (I have a 5 speed) The longest trip I took was 9 hours each way...no problems to speak of and I've been doing it for 2 years now. I would say my trailer with Jet skis and gas cans is just over 1000lbs...I really should scale it...I pull down the freeway at 70 mph 5th gear no issues.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I asked all the questions concerning HHR towing capacity some time back and It Was A Fuzzy Answer from GM and the Dealer service dept.
There concerns include their Liablity and Warranty issues not just what you can tow down the road.

I have been rigging and wiring boat trailers for many years so I entered this quest with more knowledge then most I talked too.

Here is GM's bottom line "the way I understood it" on the HHR.

Towing capacity is rated at 1000lbs. gross.
It is based on the car and driver only so anything over that will be part of the 1000 lbs..
That includes extra passengers and their gear, and even your hitch receiver.
By the time the average user takes that into consideration you could end up with 6-800lbs. left for the allowable gross loaded trailer weight.
Be sure to take everything beyond the Driver and HHR into consideration and Do Not Kid Yourself.
Can you fudge on that formula ??
It looks like some are doing that and not having too many problems if they are careful and knowlegable in how they drive.
Remember .. The HHR has it's own limitations depending on the model and how it's equipted.
Aside from the overall weight of your load, you need to minimize the tounge weight to the point where the hooked up HHR handles your load predictably and safely.
There are towing tounge weight formulas, but depending on suspension and tire ratings of the towing vehicle they can be somewhat manipulated to accomodate your personal situation.
Certain States have specific Laws that dictate the Legal towing formulas and you might want to find out about your State even if you plan on traveling beyond it's borders.

This issue is not just as simple as if it weighs 1000lbs or less I can tow it.

SF

UPDATE .....

I want to revisit the Formula issue.

There are actually 2 different Formulas regarding towing.

1. Recomended Tounge weights based on Gross trailer weight..
Used as a guide for Individuals.

2. Gross towing vehicle weight v/s Gross trailer weight.
Regulated by each State.

SF
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM

As a long time RV'er (trailer tower) I think you need to be careful how much weight you take off the tongue cause the TT might fishtail. You're supposed to have at least 10% of the weight of the trailer on the hitch. However, I've never towed with a fwd. Towing is hardest on the tranny, so an auxilory tranny cooler is probably a good idea, I'd check with the dealer first, could affect your warranty.

It's typical that many RV'ers will buy a TT that weighs real close to the maximum weigh capacity of the tow vehicle and then wonder why it doesn't perform well and things wear out real quick. A rule of thumb is to buy a trailer that is 25% lighter than the tow rating, so you can safely carry things and your DW.