General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Transmission feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM

Transmission feel

Just wanted to get some insight as far as how the Transmission "feels" to you guys when shifting. Specifically the 4 speed auto matted to the 2.4. Can you feel the shifts? Does the shifting seems rough or smooth? I noticed that I can definitely tell the car is shifting say with about 25% throttle. The car seems to shift buttery smooth either when moving under very light throttle or under somewhat heavy throttle. I do not know if I am making any sense. I am not concerned about the health of my transmission as it shifts properly, without hesitation, at the intervals it was designed to. Just wanted some insight in how other individuals HHR's "feel."
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Yes sometimes you can feel it shift, and sometimes you can't. That's true for pretty much any auto trans, no matter what the make. Don't over-think it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Technical Moderator

When I drive like an old man I don't feel it at all. When I drive like SpeedRacer I feel it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:09 AM

I also understand these transmission in our HHR's are pretty beefy right? So, even though its got 176,000 miles, it should last quite a long time longer? I do take care of it of course with regular fluid and filter changes (though the manual says not to do this, for whatever reason). I never beat on it although I cant deny having a bit of fun once and a while.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

They seem to hold up pretty well with very minimal maintenance (see owners manual). About the only items discussed on the forum are the very seldom internal solenoid failure from my recollection.

Note however, that when a CEL code is generated, often the transmission will shift (no pun untended) into what several refer to as "abrupt shift mode", where it starts to shift quite firmly.

And it is FIRM, to the point that one is driven (no pun intended here either) to get the CEL code addressed as the shifting will drive (pun intended) one nuts. Seems it was part of the GM Master plan in the computer logic that starts the abrupt shifting with the CELs, so it probably doesn't cause any nasty harm, but it sure makes one want to get the cause resolved ASAP.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM

I find the auto transmissions even though the same in the 2010 and 2011 do have some variation between cars.
I currently have,

1 .. 2.4L 2011 2LT. This one shifts smooth but much quicker on 1srt and second shift.
Hardly any hesitation and it's noticeable.
When I first drove this one I thought it might have a tune but looking at it's history .. No Chance. Just the differences in cars.

1 .. 2.2L 2011 These next 2 are pretty close but not as quick to shift at lower speed.

1 .. 2.4L 2010 They both seem to have the lower speed slight throttle hesitation that is pretty standard.

Also both 2.4L cars have a different exhaust sound. Same mileage.

SF
Old 04-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Yeah my '06 shifts without hesitation but is firm. Also, whopper, I definitely experienced the shifting described when there is a CEL way back when I had the all too common CEL due to solenoid failure. When you say FIRM you aint joking! Damn near threw me out of my seat! Curiously, If you put the auto in "I" mode and try to give the car light throttle it will shift similar to the way it does with a CEL. I have read that this is normal, however.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I find the auto transmissions even though the same in the 2010 and 2011 do have some variation between cars.
I currently have,

1 .. 2.4L 2011 2LT. This one shifts smooth but much quicker on 1srt and second shift.
Hardly any hesitation and it's noticeable.
When I first drove this one I thought it might have a tune but looking at it's history .. No Chance. Just the differences in cars.

1 .. 2.2L 2011 These next 2 are pretty close but not as quick to shift at lower speed.

1 .. 2.4L 2010 They both seem to have the lower speed slight throttle hesitation that is pretty standard.

Also both 2.4L cars have a different exhaust sound. Same mileage.

SF
ALSO, I personally LOVE the exhaust note of my HHR, when I first got the car my friend thought it had an aftermarket system but we found all of it to be stock.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
ALSO, I personally LOVE the exhaust note of my HHR, when I first got the car my friend thought it had an aftermarket system but we found all of it to be stock.

In my last post when I said the 2 .. 2.4L HHR's had a different exhaust sound I meant that the two are slightly different from each other.
When I bought the 2LT that was the first thing my wife mentioned.

Personally I like them both.

The 2.2L is much softer under full throttle and also at start up.

SF