General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Administrator

neat job, we all know it's there!!! and done very well!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Trouble in Paradise

After moving the master cylinder as far over as it would go I put the engine back in the car and guess what? It hits the engine. Damn! I went back to the pics I have of the YearOne build and guess what? They used a Hydroboost master cylinder. What is a Hydroboost you ask? I never heard of them before today but with lots of internet searches, this is the way to go. It uses the hydraulics from the power steering pump to power the brakes and does not have that huge vacuum can associated with power brakes. Bingo! I think I'll find a unit out of an Astro Van or a Mustang from a bone yard. I'll look next week.
This build is showing me just how much I don't know about cars.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty sure that's the type brake assist system used on a lot of the diesel powered pickup trucks. At least I know we were looking at a co-workers 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel and he had this type system.
Not sure if anything from the diesel pickup truck line would be useful, but it could broaden your search area.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Hydro boost was real popular on GM trucks and vans my 95 suburban with a 454 has the hydro boost set up. They work real well. You will have a two extra power steering lines and it basically plums in series with power steering gear box or in your case power steering rack.

The only thing I have ever seen go wrong with them is leak. GM does not sell seals for them you just replace them if they leak.

My suburban's hydro boost unit started leaking at 130,000 miles. I was able to find a seal kit with a google search from a reman shop and resealed it. It disables just like a master cyl. The suburban now has 230,000 on it now and still no leaks.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Fantastic build in every way.
Great problem solving skills.
You know, you could make a mint selling a subframe kit.
Can't wait for your next installment.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Some things just aint right

In my quest for a brake system that will fit in the limited room I have between the left head and the strut tower, I went with a Hydroboost system. After researching it a bunch I settled on a Hydroboost unit out of a '98 Chevy Astro Van (Ugg!) mated up to a master cylinder out of a "78 Corvette (Yea!) Some things just shouldn't be done. Anyway, it looks like everything will be fine and it should fit. I'll see this week-end.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lasater; 02-05-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 AM

You should be happy with the set up, like others have said its a proven sys for GM . Love the build , wish i had the time.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Well it looks like it's gonna work

I'm doing a mock-up of the Hydroboost and master cylinder and it looks like it will fit. I need to go back and weld up some holes I put in the firewall for the other system. I need to move the steering hole too, it hits the header.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM

Wow! pretty good way to spend the 1st part of my Friday nite! I have seen this on the front page for a while now but never looked into it, now im glad i didn't because i did not have to wait to read every page and view the pics. Mad skills for sure! Makes the little things I want to do to mine seem that much easier. Thanks for all the post and pics..we can't get enough!!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Master Cylinder In

OK so I spent an entire day on the brake pedal/hydroboost/master cylinder and it is finally in. I had to adapt the HHR brake pedal assembly to the wider and taller hydroboost bracket. Then I moved the firewall mounting holes about 1/4" to the outboard side. Once I did that, the high pressure actuator on the hydroboost hit the drivers side strut tower......of course it did. Soooo, time for the torch to heat the tower bright orange and take a 3 lb. hammer and beat the crap out of it. Put a nice dimple in it so it all clears now. The first picture is inside the driver front wheel well looking up at the place I heated and beat in the strut tower. That is some seriously thick metal it there.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build