General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM

I keep following your progress to see what fabrication marvel you have for us next... can't wait to see the finished product!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM

3 Days on the Hump

Worked all Labor Day weekend on the trans/drive shaft hump. Pretty much got it complete, with the exception of some more welding that needs to be done. I will finish the shifter console this week so I hope to mount it next weekend with the B&M shifter mounted so I can route the shifter cable thru the hump. Then its off to finish the engine compartment and get it ready for paint. The motor and trans will be back in a couple of weeks and I hope this will be the last time I install the engine.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:27 PM

E-brake handle

Spent the weekend finishing the welding on the trans hump and drive shaft hump. Boy, many hours of awkward position welding. That can get an old man sore in a hurry. Anyway, that is complete and I'm now working on the e-brake handle. Finding the stock position for it is a trick because so much has been taken out. Lots of measuring and trial fitting. I'm going to use the HHR handle hooked up to Camaro cables. I don't know how I'm going to do that but that's a problem for Future Cliff, Present Cliff has other stuff to worry about right now.

Here are some pics of the e-brake assembly installed.
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Shifter Stuff

I spent this week-end making the support for the B&M shifter. It's 19 guage sheet with an 1/8" plate on the top. I still need to drill, counter sink and tap holes for the shifter but it's pretty much done. light weight and super strong for bang'in the gears. Here are the sequence shots of this project.
Attached Images      
Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Administrator

nice work, my friend , nice work!!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Exemplary patience
Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 AM

Awesome work Bro... Looking forward to each and every post.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 PM

Don't look like much, but ...

I hate to tell you how many hours I have spent making the B&M shifter fit the new trans hump. Suffice to say it's finished and it works perfectly. Strong as hell and looks almost factory. The gray plastic parts are just dummy, I have a complete black interior for the real thing.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Administrator

And you thought we would doubt it? We know your attention to detail is second to none!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:57 PM

More Minutia

You asked for minutia, I'll give you minutia. Spent the day finishing the trans/drive shaft hump. Here is what it looks like completed. The rear raised area is the parking brake mount, the piece forward of that with 2 tapped holes is for the cross bar that the back bolts of the front seats go into and we already went over the shifter mount area. That completes this area. The second picture shows the backing plates for the sub frame. There will be a total of 4 of these sandwiching the floor with the sub frame. Without these 1/8" plates, I'm afraid if I stood on it too hard I might torque-twist the bolt heads thru the floor. Next step will be to clean off the surface rust, give the floor and humps a shot of
rust-olem and then go over all the welds with SEM seam sealer. Once that's all finished I will apply the sound deadener sheeting to the entire area from the firewall back.
Attached Images   

Last edited by lasater; 09-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build