General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Awesome! Take lots of video of that Ben!!!!!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
Anytime Benjiwah, just show up and we'll go do some burn outs.
Oh S#!+ Yeah!!! I will hold you to it!!! Thanks!!!

And when and if I make it out there, I will take video of the burnouts!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Hurry up Lasater, I want to see what my 372HP front wheel drive, 5 speed HHR at 2700 lbs curb weight will do against that monster you are building! We will have to "meet in St. Louis" about half way for each of us.

Boydie

Originally Posted by lasater
Anytime Benjiwah, just show up and we'll go do some burn outs.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Another wiring shot

We are sorting out the harness wire by wire. It is looking like the ECM is going next to the passenger front strut. Here are a couple shots of it now.
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM

Looking mighty fine!!! Still anxious as can be to see the end result in action!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 PM

lasater

I know you've heard this before, but ,, Wonderful Build.

Ya, I'm in your age group, and building Street Rods Etc for Decades.

I'm going a much different route to a rear wheel drive in my HHR Panel. I've already got two LS1 powered Rods and I'm not up to another major build The LS1 T56 into my '56 Chevy Coupe was enough. The ECU was pretty simple, for me anyways. I'm a retired Electronic Engineer, so the "Computer Stuff' is much easier for me. Wise idea to utilize the Camaro wiring, me - I'm sure I would have done it the hard way and used the HHR BCM etc...

I've already purchased a Solstice Ecotec (Super Charged) 4 cylinder with mated 5 speed, 280 miles,, nearly new (I'll have it balanced etc). So my install will be a heck of a lot less sheet metal fab and wiring issues. I admire your perseverance !! My preliminary measurements indicate no firewall mod (except over the trans??) in the engine compartment. The brake booster looks good, and I'll power tune the new motor and utilize the ordinal ECU, phew. The little Ecotec will not be a Hot LS1, got one of those. But it will have significantly more HP and a nice driver, esp the RWD part.... I will most probably also need to relocate the Rack.

I've already been looking for a HHR roller, same plan for install,, A Mule, the only way. I need to examine the HHR "unders" and decide re the framing of the engine cradle to the Diffy cradle. But, looks like your framing is just what I was imagining, thanks for all the posting & photos.

What I'm stuck on is the RWD Diffy. I have a 2013 Gen 5 Camaro complete IRS. But it is a little too wide. And any mods to the controls arms on IRS is tricky. We do have the IRS CAD program, But Na - too much work and time.

So, here's my thoughts, I'd like your feedback.. I have a Dutchman's 9 inch in my '56 Coupe behind the LS1, great diffy, easy to set up and lots of choices.

I'm thinking a 9 inch with a Detroit TrueTrac Diffy. I'm going to install one in my '56 and bench the locker. I know the 9 inch in physically heaver (might need that in the rear) and a lot more drag. But the the ease of install, reliability and the Detroit TrueTrac is very inviting.

I'd sure like your comments. Keep up the great work. Great of you to share.

Michael
Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by oceangoer

I've already purchased a Solstice Ecotec (Super Charged) 4 cylinder
So, here's my thoughts, I'd like your feedback..
I'm thinking a 9 inch with a Detroit TrueTrac Diffy. sure like your comments.
Michael
Michael,
I personally wouldn't go to this much work and expense for a 4 banger. I don't care how much horse power it will produce, you won't get any respect with this drivetrain. The thing that keeps me going on the project is thinking about just how much fun it will be to lope this bad boy into my local cruise night, pop the hood and start answering questions.

A Solstice Ecotec won't get noticed by anyone that doesn't already own an HHR. And even then you will hear "Wow, I could have had a V8" Seriously, this is really going to be a ton of work and money. Are you going to keep the skinny 7" rear wheels? If you go wider you will have to tub the rear wheel wells. Of course you will have to strengthen the chassis. You will need to replace the gas tank. You will need to make room for the trans. You will need to enlarge the "drive shaft hump". You will need to reroute the e-brake cables and adapt them to the new rear brakes. The list goes on and on.

I guess what l'm trying to say is if you are going to all this hassle, why not go all out? It's all about blowing people's minds.

p.s. the 9" rear end is a great choice. ......but you still gotta come up with a 2 or 4 link system, panhard bar, torque arm, etc.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM

lasater,

Hey, thanks for the input !! FIRST,,, I really do detest Front Wheel Drives !!

I get your input re the 4 banger vs a LS Engine, 100+ HP gain is good enough for this driver.

I already have three other Street Rods, two with LS1's & 6 Speed manuals and the other with ZZ4, Doug Nash.... Two are Corvette Converts and the other is a '56 Chevy Coupe, which is my Wild Child head turner and a Fun Car to drive. She "Betty is the one I drive in the Summer to the Events I do love the LS power and the T-56 trans.

But as for my HHR Panel, I just want a sort of basic RWD Driver. So to say She will not be for the Max Hear Turning Hot Street Rod, Though I do like yours and would Love to she her at the Race Track !!. I'm sick & tired of the FWD and tiny auto trans, yuk

Questions. & My thoughts.

Nope, I'll go a little wider with the rear tires, and roll the inside of the fenders, She sits to high. I'll prob pull the 285x17's off the Vette and roll then for a peeky. Change the Rims too !

Trany, Net week I should have time to pull the HHR on the my Rack and get a closer look & take some measurements. First I want the locate the 5 speed shift handle and then work forward to check firewall and tunnel fab needs. So far from up top, It looks like the Ecotec bell housing will end just at the firewall, trany - no idea yet.

How much width and height did you increase the floor boards for the drive line tunnell, approx. ?? But, I'd much rather far a tunnel then mod the firewall.

Diffy, Yes, love the 9 inch diffy. But now I have decided to keep the 2012 Camaro IRS for now. It only has a couple thousand miles on the complete assembly. A couple of my friends, also Engineers and Rod Builders, are pushing to utilize the IRS. It is a smaller pumpkin and would require a smaller D.L. Tunnel. I'll call Todd @ Dutchman's and get his take on this again. They do Fab and will shorten the Half Shafts. So measurements & recommendations for a 9 inch or the IRS will be the test I'd refer the IRS, but is there room ?? I wold prefer the IRS.

Fuel Tank, I haven't checked this out yet, next week. Do have any photos of the before & after you could share ??

I have access to a frame Jig and all of the sheet metal tools required from out previous frame and floor boards fab. It was a 36 vintage,, so the HHR being newer rust free meta will certainly be a blessing..

I think I'll take the same route that you completed with your frame section. Either way 9 inch or IRS, We'll still be fab'g control arms plus a Watt's linkage for the 9 inch. I think the donor Mule will be needed before I can make any decisions. Once I get a Mule gutted out,, The first thing We will accomplish is the stuff the Ecotec & 5 speed in the engine bay and truly see what this job entails. Who knows, I just might change my mind..

Thanks again,

Michael.....
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 PM

HHR Roll Cage

Is there any interest in a step by step instructional on building a roll cage for an HHR?

Since the V8 project is at my buddies shop getting the wiring sorted out, I'm going to begin on the roll cage. The cage needs to fit inside a stock interior so I will be building it to my daily driver. I'll be using 1 3/4" mild steel tubing , a JD Square bender and modified Harbor Freight tubing notcher.

Let me know if there's any interest.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 PM

I don't plan om a roll cage for this daily driver, but I sure appreciate the offer.

If you need any assistance with the engine ECU wiring and "How & What" to connect up and programming, please let me know - Happy to help out. You've prob got the same LS1 engine ECU as what's in my '56 Coupe..

I'm getting ready to email for associate re programming my C5 for some deletes & power tune her, and plus the coming up HHR conversion. I'll will be asking re the Comm between the different Engine ECU and the HHR BCM, which for the instrument panel - isn't a lot of data transfer. I do have all of my old notes and plenty of Electrical schematics on the HHR and 2001 LS1 ECU

WE were very careful with the Mod's and programming the changes and deletes. Started the first Crank and No Codes. I do wish that I had retained the Charcoal canister purge solenoid.

thanks,,

Michael

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build