General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by black Tara
Grizzly what your looking at is just a template. that's not his final roll bar. read his post.
I have been reading the post from the time he first started it. I have seen the tubing he is making the roll cage from and it looks like the electrical conduit we used to pull wire through at work to me.

Looks puny to my mind.

I know he doesn't plan to crash his buggy and that it is not required by any state to have one in your vehicle,... its just me I guess.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 04-19-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
The car is currently at my friends shop in Redlands, CA. You will are welcome to cruise on over and check it out in its current condition. Allen S. [a member here on the forum ] is on vacation from Surrey B.C. and he came by last week to check it out. It was fun meeting him.
Wow, thanks for the invite, I would love to do that. Right now Saturdays are tied up with ministry school until the end of May so unless Sundays work, a visit will have to wait until after school ends.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I have seen the tubing he is making the roll cage from and it looks like the electrical conduit we used to pull wire through at work to me.

Looks puny to my mind.

I know he doesn't plan to crash his buggy and that it is not required by any state to have on in your vehicle,... its just me I guess.
As a retired journeyman electrician (26 years IBEW Local 440) I can assure you that this tubing is not EMT. EMT measures .039" wall. That's why it's called 'thin wall'. Although I'm not necessarily building this cage for drag racing, I am using the NHRA rule book for the specs. They require 1 3/4 x .118 tubing, welded to 6 x 6 x 1/8" plates welded to the chassis. I am doing all of that. Since I'm not going to race it on a regular basis, I'm not concerned about passing a tech inspection. However, it probably will pass.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Smile

Hi,

Are you or did join the two sub frames? back in the 60s I watched Dick Landy burn out and the body flexed. It broke every window in the Car!! He did not join the sub frames.

bluwing
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bluwing
Hi,

Are you or did join the two sub frames? back in the 60s I watched Dick Landy burn out and the body flexed. It broke every window in the Car!! He did not join the sub frames.

bluwing
I seriously doubt that I will be putting down the horsepower that "Dandy Dick Landy" did, but I am sandwiching the body floor between 2 pieces of 1/8" plate held together with grade 8- 3/8" bolts and nyloc nuts. I've done this in about every place that is possible.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2015, 04:24 PM

union's uggg have my jouney's in hvac, I'm glad we have no union's in this state

by the way ,, looks great !!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM

Never too young to learn

My 12 year old grandson Chase came over to help me today. He loves physics and what better way to learn it than bending tube? He catches on fast. We are bending the left and right rear pieces. This is the best way to work on something.
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2015, 01:23 PM

Hi,

Well you may have the horsepower that Dick Landy did, But you have a lot more the the four banger it came with .... LOL!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:00 PM

UAW Local #599, Flint, Michigan

I spent 31 years at GM protected by the Union Local #599. Been retired 19 years and still pay bills. Retired out of skilled trades, Instrument Repair.

I am certainly glad I lived and worked in a state that supported Union labor. Salud! UAW.

Before Unions in factories, you worked 16 or more hours 7 days a week. If you missed a day you were fired. That's it.

Boydie

Originally Posted by papa_jo
union's uggg have my jouney's in hvac, I'm glad we have no union's in this state

by the way ,, looks great !!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Youtube video of engine install

You really gotta be an HHR Geek to appreciate this. It's 3 old guys running around at high speed. Most people would rather have a root canal than watch this. Go ahead and try it.

Click on this link;

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build