General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 PM

my old man want to do this to mine. not sure I should stop him. cant wait to see whats next
Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
Oh no, quite the contrary. However, a couple of things have slowed down the progress and postings. 1. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and I've been slammed with make-up work. 2. My right shoulder has been giving me pain for the last 3 years and it has reached the point that I can't seen to get anything done because of it. Next Wednesday the 24th I'm going in to UCLA Hospital for a full right shoulder replacement. This will put me in front of my TV for 2 - 3 weeks and after that I'll be in a sling for another month. It will take 6+ months to recover completely. Needless to say I won't be doing much on the car.

To this end, the car is at my engine builder's shop and they are doing the finishing items. The trans cable needs to be completed, the fuel pump-filter-lines need to be finished and the heater hoses need to be terminated under the dash. And of course that pesky electrical.

But never fear, this will get done over the fall and our harsh So Cal winter (it can get down in the 60's!) and be ready for springtime.

As far as posting pictures of the progress, it really doesn't look much different than you guys have already seen, but I got more pics if you want to see them.
Being laid up sucks. A year ago my tale of woe began. My little toe on my right foot turned black. Over the winter I had 6 surgeries over 4 hospital stays. I have lost all 5 toes on my right foot, 2 angioplasties on my right leg, and then a bypass on the right leg where I had 90 staples from my ankle to my waist. I had a trip to the ER with a 107 temp. I was naked when I woke up packed in ice. They said they had never seen a temp that high. I had missed a doctor appointment and the doctor called my brother at work and he called my nephew that is a deputy. I guess he threw me over his shoulder and carried me into the ER. I don't remember any of it. Organs were shutting down and if my nephew had came to find me, I was screwed. I went back to work the 1st week of April. I was in HR and the safety person seen my hand shaking and decided I needed my temp taken. It was 103 and they sent me to the ER. Another week in the hospital. I had gotten a blister on the bottom of my foot the size of a pop can and it became infected. That was in April. The doctor says it is better since I can no longer touch the bones in my foot. I am going to officially retire November 1st. I will be on leave until then. I spend 90% of my day in the recliner with my foot elevated. This is Day 6 without Oxy for pain. It comes and goes for several days at a time. I have a garage full of Harleys and can't ride any. I've snuck out on the trike a couple times. Being laid up sucks. Next week it will be a year.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 AM

Sorry to hear of your health woes zbear. Pay attention to what the Docs say.

Be thankful that you were being watched out for when you couldn't yourself!!

Do what you can to keep you mind busy while your body can't be. If you aren't already on FB its a great way to keep in touch with family and see whats going on .

Set up a private or secret group in your familys name
Old 08-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Hang in there I hope it all goes well a friend that lives out of state had his replaced a while back and the last time I talked to him he was doing well. Just follow the Doctors orders, as I am married to a retired nurse I have no choice.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
I have just about finished the Bow-tie-to-'56-Crest-Emblem swap. It turned out much better than I had hoped. I need to find the rest of the step-by-step photos that I think are on my other computer. I'll look tomorrow. When I find them I'll post a step by step instruction for it. Pretty straight forward....a monkey could do it. Well, a monkey with access to a Bridgeport mill, a band saw, a big sander and a Dremel tool plus lots of adhesives.

Here is the finished look. I'll show you how to get here in a couple of days.
So you did like my idea.
I guess there's no way to make more of them?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
So you did like my idea.
I guess there's no way to make more of them?
I liked your idea a lot. I'm posting the pics and instructions here. This is a really time consuming project and it costs about $200 plus the painting. It requires a complete stock SS grill assembly, an additional grill, '56 Chevy V8 hood & trunk emblems, 3M bumper repair material, plastic mesh and bondo.

Here is a stock SS grill. You will be modifying the Bowtie area only.

Here is the end result you need on the grill. You must remove the upper and lower sections of the Bowtie areas (I used a Bridgeport to get a straight, square area) Then with the material from another grill you replace this area to get a straight line while matching the "egg crate" exactly. This is difficult to match-up.

The grill bezel needs to be modified to fit the reshaped grill. Cut off the top and bottom sections of the Bowtie, and re-enforce the area with 3M bumper repair material and plastic mesh. Shape to fit. Drill 3 mounting holes for the '56 V8 emblem and build a peak out of bondo to fit the angled shape of the emblem.

The rear is alot easier. Grind the upper and lower Bowtie areas off and with 3M bumper repair and plastic mesh fill in the hole.

Use bondo to raise an area the shape of the'56 trunk emblem. Drill 3 mounting holes.

Here is the end result. It took around 15 hours of work to do this but I think it looks factory.....I wonder how many people will even notice. I hope not many, that is the true test of mods done correctly.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-12-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Wow
I thought you where going to make some sort of over lay to cover the OEM bow tie.
Would like to see pictures when installed on you car.
It looks like now there to big and out of proportion.
Then again I could be wrong. lol
Old 08-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
It looks like now there to big and out of proportion.
Then again I could be wrong. lol
The '56 emblems are no larger the the OEM Bow ties they replace. It is deceiving, but I'm tellin ya, these are the correct size and the are gonna look factory.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 PM

IMO they do not look too big, they look perfect. Great job. Ditto wanting to see them on the car
Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Very cool, Cliff!! Thanks for sharing the how to!!

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build