General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I'm envious that I can't do this stuff anymore, my last build was in 1998, but now to many health problems to get this energetic!!
I build vicariously through you Cliff! See you in Syracuse in July!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Technical Moderator

If you don't care about the interlocks and auto start you can wire the starter up old fashioned. By auto start I mean the not having to hold the key part.

The 5V part drives the crank relay via the starter enable signal from the ECM. And the run/crank relay for ignition. And a few other wires.

It would be easier to keep the computers, though.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If you don't care about the interlocks and auto start you can wire the starter up old fashioned. By auto start I mean the not having to hold the key part.

The 5V part drives the crank relay via the starter enable signal from the ECM. And the run/crank relay for ignition. And a few other wires.

It would be easier to keep the computers, though.
The factory PCM for the HHR is not being used anymore at all. In order to keep the factory ignition switch you would have to keep the 5v in the switch because it uses this 5v signal for all of the ignition positions. I initially worked with Cliff beginning about a year ago on schematics so that he could do the wiring. I didn't want to give him a headache with multiple 5v control relays. Not to mention, you can't just go pick up 5v driven relays anywhere, if one were to go bad.
The HHR isn't just the only concern, the other thing to remember is the starting circuit of the Camaro. It drives the starter via relay (HHR relay is driven from the PCM directly​) through the PNP/CPP switch and a 15amp fuse directly from the ignition switch. The HHR ignition switch couldn't even handle this because the wires couldn't handle a potential short before the 15amp fuse blew. I wouldn't want to abuse those tiny wires like that. LOL.
So to make things easier I discussed with Cliff, for ease of wiring work, on using am aftermarket push button start unit. I gave him a handful of options before he chose to go with an iStart unit from Ron Francis.
This actually is a very nice unit and is a fantastic choice for any hot rod, LSx swap,, etc. I will use it directly to control the powertrain relay and the accessories' control relay(s).
Old 12-31-2016, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I'm envious that I can't do this stuff anymore, my last build was in 1998, but now to many health problems to get this energetic!!
I build vicariously through you Cliff! See you in Syracuse in July!
I may be only 36 but I know how you feel. I suffer from a cerebral issue that has stolen a career that I really loved from me. One day I was the Senior RIA Certified Master Robotic Tech, the next I couldn't stand up without falling over and when I laid down it felt like I was doing a slow back flip down through the mattress.
2 years+ later I can get around by holding onto things. I have to lean on things to stand up and if I am out with my wife shopping or had a mentally/physically straining day the next day I can't do anything but sit on the couch totally dizzy. It takes a lot of focus to stay upright for me now.
Your never too messed up or too old to have fun and chase dreams. Even if you need a little help to do it.
?d:-D
Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Administrator

That's the spirit! I've got several issues , aside from age, brain injuries, heart and cardiovascular and spinal damage, I get around. My extent of working in cars now involves, handing my friend Dan a wrench , showing him how to proceed with removal and replacement, getting him a cold wobbly pop, after he's done!
It's a struggle to even wash the HHR , this year I'm teaching my niece paint maintenance, first on her car .
As for hot rod building, I still stop by any friends place who is building something and stuck with and issue, I had to get over that urge to say , get out of the way and I'll fix it, and say "ok, here's what the problem is and here's how you address it.
Keep up the good work, I think Cliff wants his HHR back in time for Show season !!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:39 PM

That's the spirit! I've got several issues , aside from age, brain injuries, heart and cardiovascular and spinal damage, I get around. My extent of working in cars now involves, handing my friend Dan a wrench , showing him how to proceed with removal and replacement, getting him a cold wobbly pop, after he's done!
It's a struggle to even wash the HHR , this year I'm teaching my niece paint maintenance, first on her car .
As for hot rod building, I still stop by any friends place who is building something and stuck with and issue, I had to get over that urge to say , get out of the way and I'll fix it, and say "ok, here's what the problem is and here's how you address it.
Keep up the good work, I think Cliff wants his HHR back in time for Show season !!
I am sorry to hear that your in that bad of a medical situation. I can relate to the spinal issues too, not on your level though. I have a inoperable golf ball sized cyst inside my spinal cord nerve. Not fun when you move just wrong and per your pants. LoL. I just laugh it off or I think I'd go crazy.
It is awesome that your niece is learning from you. I have 3 kids and they aren't in to cars... Figures lol. I would have given anything for my dad to work on them with me.
Thanks for the compliment and I will definitely get the car back to him in time for some car shows!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:47 PM
Administrator

You've got time

http://www.rightcoastcars.com/syracu...-swap-meet.php
Old 12-31-2016, 11:47 PM

I don't think Cliff will be taking the car to that show, I could be wrong... He is located in California. He MAY drive it that far... Who knows haha. It will be back in California long before that show though.
I wouldn't mind taking MY car there. Is it an ALL car show? Not sure how people would feel about a Kia Sorento at a muscle/classic car show. Even if it IS powered by a 6L Chevy V8.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 PM

No more wiring harness!
This engine is SNUG in there. Sneaking the harness around took a little time. All for the better though. What engine bay isn't happier when it's got a fresh 400+HP heart?

Name:  ForumRunner_20170101_005015.png
Views: 795
Size:  1.07 MB

The harness all out of the car...

Name:  ForumRunner_20170101_005038.png
Views: 908
Size:  1.03 MB

Begin the choppy, choppy! I did this to the LSx Sorento but with a harness I bought brand new from GmPartsNow.com although it was worth the $200. Fresh electrical tape comes off sooo much easier then the continually re-heated stuff does...

Name:  ForumRunner_20170101_005050.png
Views: 892
Size:  898.1 KB

I will be setting up a more professional work table soon. I will be using pegboard so that I can follow specific routes for each wire allowing me to make multiple harnesses, one after another, quickly and efficiently.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 AM

Finally a naked harness....
My super fantastic wife bought me a really nice X-Acto knife.... It helped get that nasty old GM electrical tape off the harness. That stuff I'd wrapped every which way I swear.
Now to totally de-pin the harness....
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-img_20170102_025636.jpg  

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build