General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 PM

I just saw a video on MSN of a 98 LS1 from a Corvette transplanted into a 86 Porsche Carrera. it sounded wicked. They said the LS1 only weighed 60 pounds more then the Porsche air cooled flat six with it's cooling fans, thought you might enjoy.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Added Weight

I'm guessing that my car will gain around 300 lbs. Not so much from the engine but from the sub frame I added, the roll cage, the gigantic transmission and the Currie 9" rear end. I'm not too worried tho, I think it will still move on it's own power. 😁
Old 01-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Headers

Craig Gibson built some custom headers for the car. I just finished up some clean up on them and they go to the ceramic coaters tomorrow. When the coating is complete I'll ship them back to him in Ohio. He completely revamped the exhaust system and added some ponies. It's gonna be nice.
Attached Thumbnails V8 HHR Build-img_1993.jpg  

Last edited by lasater; 01-29-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Ahh the pipes, laddie, the pipes!!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM

nice
Old 02-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Headers Installed

Craig Gibson's custom built headers got the ceramic jet coating and they look great. They are installed now and they clear all the obstacles around them. Both banks had some serious issues for fitting correctly but now they work great.
The PRC heads I'm using, coupled with the 102 mm throttle body and matching intake manifold and the gigantic cam really need these headers.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 PM

I am glad you let me talk you into going with headers. The factory Ls1 manifolds are a serious bottleneck. I am actually surprised at how much of a difference it is between the Ls1 and the 4th gen manifolds I have here. The one pair is from a 5.3L and the Ls1's are smaller then even they are.
The other major benefit is that now the passenger side outlet is where it needs to be rather then where they were before, as dictated by the manifold's outlet options. This gets rid of the very sharp S bends that were in the exhaust piping, of which there really was no way around without the custom headers.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:10 PM

even nicer
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM

How much longer are you anticipating to be able to fire up or better yet have it cruising? I'm jonesin to see it in action !
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by shouldahadaV8
How much longer are you anticipating to be able to fire up or better yet have it cruising? I'm jonesin to see it in action !
Yeah, me too! Seriously it's getting pretty close. Craig Gibson is doing an amazing job on it and as we all know, the items at the end of a job seem to take forever. He finished the engine harness and it is now installed. I have never seen a more professional looking harness anywhere. He covered the entire harness in a heat resistant wrap we got from DEI. Heat has been a major concern on this car and there are lots of other areas that he put the DEI heat shield products on: below the FAST 102 intake manifold, the exhaust pipes from the collectors to the cats and the floor area over the cats to name a few. The plumbing is just about done on the engine except for some details on the steam line to the radiator. The new headers have been ceramic coated and installed and they really look great.

Right now Craig is tracing the body wiring harness from the firewall to the interior of the car. This is where the fun REALLY begins. Making all the stuff work is the big job: the ignition, gauges, fuel pump, relays, doors and windows, etc. This is the stuff that makes my eyes roll back into my head. I'm glad he's doing it.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build