General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Warranty Rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Warranty Rant

So I bought a Black 08' HHR SS with 32,000 km (19,800 miles) 2 weeks ago.

There was a clunking sound on the 600 mile road trip home, figured the front struts were gone. Once home, I took it through a provincial inspection to insure it, no problems found. Take it to a local alignment shop that I always deal with to just double check some things, both front sway bar end links are shot.

Was reading lot o info on the GM Stage 1, and came across the vacuum pump add in for all 08' HHR SS vehicles. Sweet, I have full warranty I can get both these items fixed...

Talk to my uncle (who works at a GM dealership), we go talk to service to book an appointment. Came to find out all my issues (we are not big) are based on a 3 year warranty that expired in March. So I gotta pay $80 for new sway bar end links, and pay for the vac pump if I want it installed. The other thing being, the owner before me, has the extended Bumper to Bumper warranty good til 2014 or something, but traded the SS in at a Dodge dealership. When I bought it there was no mention of the extended warranty, and paperwork to go with it. So the vehicle has a Bumper to Bumper warranty, but it is in the previous owners name, so I can't use it, nor can he seeing he doesn't have the car anymore...

Not that these are a big deal, but being my first 'new' car that is only 3 years old with less than 20k miles on it, I thought I could use the warranty for at least something..

I hope my turbo blows up

/end rant
Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 AM

I understand your frustration about this issue. Maybe Michelle from Chevrolet customer service could do something about this.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM

The key point here is it is a new car for you but not a new car.

With used cars it is buyer beware.

As for the Vaccume pump. If you have a 5 speed it does not apply and some autos never had the issue with low vaccume. If you do I would contact GM and work out some kind of a deal. It was a TSB and is in their best interest to fix this issue if your vehicle suffers lose vaccume at start up.

As for links I don't understand why some people have issues at low miles and some never do. Must be an enviroment thing?

As for extended warranty some are transferable and some are not. If this one was the dealer you bought it from dropped the ball as they could have used it as a selling point. If not that is just the way it is.

Keep in mind no matter the miles here this is a used car and that is why you did not pay near as much for it as a new car. There are advantages to both and this is one of the disadvantaged of a used car.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Use the moogs when you replace the links the stock ones arent worth the effort to install.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 AM

The vac pump I probably won't bother, I'm use to older hot rod cars with big cams n little vacuum, so I really haven't noticed it. Worst case is there is a little extra effort needed to initially get the car out of my driveway, so be it.

Thanks for the input on the end links, I will look into the moogs

I'll still take the lower cost of the entire car being used, vs having the 3 year warranty.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

You won't have to worry about it when you want to add Trifecta.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM

If you bought it used from a dealer, don't you have at least a comprehensive 30 day warranty from them? If so, they're on the hook for your issues. I'm not familiar with BC, but QC has the 30 days by law (private sales are excluded).

Yves
Old 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Founding Member

If the extended service contract is a GMPP you may be able to pay the transfer fee and still retain it.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by C-DUB
The vac pump I probably won't bother, I'm use to older hot rod cars with big cams n little vacuum, so I really haven't noticed it. Worst case is there is a little extra effort needed to initially get the car out of my driveway, so be it.

Thanks for the input on the end links, I will look into the moogs

I'll still take the lower cost of the entire car being used, vs having the 3 year warranty.
Odds are you are not having a vaccume issue if it is not a bother. Some just don't seem to have the issue.

I am a old Hot Rodder too but this was worse than any radical cam I have ever had. But then again those cars did not have 4 wheel disc brakes either.

I would say you saved enough buying used to handle anything you may encounter under the 3 year warranty.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Shop around for end links, you can get a pair on EBay for $30 US delivered. I know that many don't agree with me, but MOOG is the "cheap chinese" part in a different box and the ones I have examined had "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan" stamped on them. Brand names in these kind of parts are kind of sketchy.

Quick Reply: Warranty Rant