General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Deceased

Seriously considered grabbing a drumstick and hiding under one of mine during the height of today's invasion of turkey crazed guests, then I realized that I wouldn't fit without getting the jack and jack stands out.

Geez Revroy and Frenchy42, give those trailer hitches a wide berth, no give to those at all.

Happy Turkey Day back at ya Oldblue.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Yeh, my mother in law found my car with her trailer hitch while i was on deployment... Needless to say, I wasn't too happy...
Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Technical Moderator

I backed into the end of a 10 inch I-beam that was protecting a concrete wall.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 AM

Just picked mine up Monday afternoon. 2009 LS, bone stock, victory red. So far I've done a fairly thorough job of detailing, both inside and out. Today I decided to tackle the headlight lenses, which were in the early stages of yellowing and hazing.

The kit I chose was the Surf City Garage "Enthusiast Grade" kit, because it doesn't contain abrasive pads. I didn't think I'd need them. That was probably a mistake, because I have to admit I'm slightly underwhelmed at the results of two hours of elbowgrease. I wasn't expecting perfection, but after buffing out the lenses over and over, I'd hoped to get rid of a little more of the haze of tiny scratches.

Still, I have to admit they are 100% improved. For some reason there's still a faint yellow cast to the driver's side that I just couldn't get rid of completely. They really do look a heck of a lot better.

Next I plan to clay the whole car, seal it and then add a couple coats of good wax.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Deceased

Fortunately, HHR's don't suffer as badly from fogged or oxidized headlamp lenses as other vehicles do. But they do deteriorate over time, and the polishing kits will help, although they can fall short of restoring perfect clarity.

Try a Google search for Depo brand headlamp assemblies, they are available in OEM stock finish, or with black reflector bezels. And they are significantly cheaper than GM parts, with equivalent quality.

Here's a good "How To" on changing out the assemblies if you're ever tempted.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...dlights-32354/

Mine are all parked, the news footage of the Black Friday shopping carnage had me hiding behind the couch as usual.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I down loaded "Black Friday" by Steelie Dan , the young 'uns got it but the elders didn't!
Will have a new tune or two for our crusing jam!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Deceased

Paddy and the '06 sat rumbling in the driveway for a bit today, needed them out of the way to put my stuff back.

My old High School buddy Waddell brought back my engine hoist, spare engine stand, extra jack stands, and portable I/R compressor.

Membership to Mike's Garage Lending Library is free unless you break or lose a tool, the only things that I won't lend out are my Snap-On hand tools, and my Tech II scan tool.

Oh they can look at the Launch Tech® - Launch Pad Scan Tool(our Supporting Vendor CARiD has them if you're needing something to put on your wish list for Santa) , and I'll gladly check their vehicles for them, but when they hear it cost over $3,000...they go all pale.

P.S. Good tune there Oldblue, the "Dan" has always provided good driving music.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

"Surgery" has been minimally successful. So I installed the greased sway bar bushings (a little embarrassed it took about 3 hours.....but with the back and all....).

Noted the steering is much tighter and the clunk has been minimized. I still have it over major speed bumps, etc. (but just barely). Noticed, as Frenchy mentioned very little clearance to the LCA. Probably because of the SS struts and springs. When I'm feeling better I'll probably insert a couple of 1/8 inch shims under the retaining straps. There is a 2MM difference in the diameter of the LT and SS sway bar. Probably comes from that.

Oh, also thought I would mention......

Went to the Phoenix Auto Show yesterday. Big waste of time. All "regular" cars and trucks......had Challengers that were V6's, no Mustangs. But nothing that was really performance oriented other than Chevrolet's entries.....Camaros, ZL1, Z28, SS. Stock C7 and a prototype C7 that was tricked out (to be destroyed).
Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Replaced RF Headlamp
Checked Tire Pressure
added coolant to Radiator fill and reservoir
added washer fluid

destroyed 2 of 3 plastic rivets, replaced with new ones
old orange gasket WAS stuck to assembly

Cabin filter tomorrow
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Administrator

We went for a drive to Fort Erie yesterday and while cruising through Crystal Beach the DIC showed check gas cap, my chauffeur , um, wife stopped in a parking lot and I got out to check the cap, it would just spin and not engage the screw tabs to pull it into place.
We stopped by the Canadian Tire in Fort Erie and purchased a replacement gas cap, all is ok now.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?