General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What to do to make my airbag light go off on my HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Question What to do to make my airbag light go off on my HHR?

Hello!
I just bought a 2008 Chevrolet HHR with 1,750 miles. When I bought the car somebody went over a sidewalk and the tansmission broke along with the engine oilpan and the airbags were deployed, I replaced the transmission with a brand new, new oil pan, new oil & ATF, I replaced the airbags, the SID module, the seatbelts, the pass seat module, and the windshield and the car is perfect now except for the "SERVICE AIR BAG" message on the dash and the airbag light on the dash. Took the car to the dealer and got told has no warranty because it has a reconstructed title, the bad thing is they told me that AFTER checking the car and I had to pay the $200 bill and costs $900 to fix at the dealer.

I got the report from the dealer and shows fail codes B0081-71 and B1325-03I researched online & says not to replace the module under the seat(which is what they want to do at the dealer) I need help finding what the codes mean and on what to do to get the issue resolved without spending a fortune.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted on Yahoo naswers and got this response, but it tells me nothing on how to repair the vehicle.

DTC B0081
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC B0081 3A: Passenger Presence System Incorrect Component Installed
DTC B0081 39: Passenger Presence System Internal Electronic Failure
DTC B0081 71: Passenger Presence System Invalid Serial Data Received

Circuit/System Description
When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. When the SDM has completed the power-up mode, the SDM will

Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC B1325 03: Device Power Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
DTC B1325 07: Device Power Circuit Voltage Above Threshold

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
Open/High Resistance
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

B+
B1325 03
B1325 03
--
Ground
--
B1325 03
--
Circuit/System Description
The control modules on this vehicle monitor the battery voltage through the battery positive (B+) voltage circuits. The following control modules will set this DTC:

• Body control module (BCM)

• Instrument panel cluster (IPC)

• Radio

• Sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)

Conditions for Running the DTC
The battery voltage supplied to the control modules is in the range of 7-26 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
B1325 03
The control module detects a system voltage less than 9 volts for 5 seconds.

B1325 07
The control module detects a system voltage greater than 18 volts for 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module immediately disables all outputs when an out of range voltage condition has been detected, with the exception of GMLAN and the Run/Crank relay, which are disabled after a 3 minute delay.

• The setting of other DTCs is inhibited.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The DTC passes when the malfunction is no longer present.

Diagnostic Aids
• A high or low voltage value in multiple modules indicates a concern in the charging system.

• Overcharging with a battery charger or jump starting can cause this DTC to set.

• This DTC may set if the battery is disconnected for any reason.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

• Body Control System Schematics

• Instrument Cluster

Last edited by aerospeedx923; 08-10-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

So take the money you saved on the car by buying a wreck and spend it on the dealer replacing the module for $900. You could always replace the module yourself, too. If it's the one I'm thinking of it actually has a little explosive charge in it that is the final switch for the airbags to be deployed. Once they deploy, it has to be replaced too.