General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is that little light above the rearview mirror for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 PM

Actually, It Does Work

On a not well-lit stretch of road, in a surprisingly long line at a red light, I reached over to turn down the fan on the heater and looked at the controls. I was pleasantly surprised.

Although the "dash" lights worked well, that little, tiny light was illuminating the outside of all the controls, including the window switches. It was quite pleasant but I miss something that I have had in previous cars that I have owned. I would like to be able to control the interior lights.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by jcbrowns
If it's meant to subtly light up the window switches, I don't notice it.
Driving around at night I don't notice it doing anything.

At another dealership that we didn't buy the car from, he made a big deal how cool that light was but didn't say what it was for. How'd you like that light he said. We did cartwheels and screamed like a 8 year old girl at a Hannah Montana concert then went somewhere else.

The angle of the light, even though I don't see any light shining down on anything seems to be aimed at the armrests, not directly down at the window control buttons.

I'll take another look at it tomorrow night though.
Thanks for the answers!
Okay I tried to take mine out to switch it with a orange colored one needless to say I ended up just making it not work. And now that it doesn't work I really miss the little bit of light that it does give off. It will cost about $80 at the dealer to fix my goof up!!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 AM

I thought it was to light up your sunroof switches. If you hold your hand toward the switches the light reflect off your hand to illuminate the switches.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 PM

designed to illuminate the window switches.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JimCubb

Although the "dash" lights worked well, that little, tiny light was illuminating the outside of all the controls, including the window switches. It was quite pleasant but I miss something that I have had in previous cars that I have owned. I would like to be able to control the interior lights.
I'm with you on that one, I wish they would have tied that in with the dimmer function.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM

mine dimms slightly, but not alot. but it does dim
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Anyone know if there is anyway of turning this light off completely? I find mine distracting.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by classicaudioman
Anyone know if there is anyway of turning this light off completely? I find mine distracting.
Uhhh... Take the bulb out, maybe??
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Yes it lights the window switches, and the little (very little) storage compartment just below the switches. Mine, however does dim with the dash light dimmer. As far as disableing it, that shouldn't be too difficult, though I kind of like it. A little black spray paint should do it, if you can't get the bulb out, or find the wire to cut.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Make a small blinder for the light so it doesnt distract your eyes.. it will still shine down, you just won't notice it. Ive never paid any attention to it, but then I seem to always be wearing a brim hat so its always blocked. It actually does illuminate the center console but some may not notice it if they have the dash lights turned up ALL the way.( never understood this as the bright lite is blinding..try seeing at nite with a flashlight in your eyes, same thing.)

Quick Reply: What is that little light above the rearview mirror for?