General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The Tale and End of my HHR

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Thumbs down The Tale and End of my HHR

As most of you know, I have had a ruff ride of ownership with my SS. Heck the month it was HHR of the Month it was in the shop for a blown motor. I hoped back then, that it wasn't a tale of what was to come... blown motor at 3,000 miles. Well my hopes weren't listened to by whom ever. The story goes something like this...

Over the first 11 months of ownership my SS had been in & out of the shop for everything from a blown motor at 3k, twice for a bouncy speedo, 3 times for A/C, and finally the sudden loss of turbo psi (down to 5-6$#) in 1st gear... all adding up to 4 months of the 10. We were on nearly a 50/50 split. In the last month of it being in the shop I opened up a GM Customer service claim. I wanted them to aid the dealer in fixing the boost problem, and wanted (at the time) 4 months of payments, plus $750 for the GM stage 1 kit if they didn't fix the boost issue. Fix it or not, I wanted 4 months ($1650). During the process I tried to get my dealers' sales managers to help push GM to "make good" on the car, that if GM "screws the pooch" on this one I'll never buy another GM and the sales at the dealer will be the first to be effected. They said that is part of the service manager & GM, and they couldn't do anything besides offer me a trade in of my SS. I was PISSED, so when I got home I called the lemon lawyer off my google search.

They were great and within a day of review they wanted my case BAD. I waited, to see what GM was going to do, and told the lawyers that. I figured it was only right to see if GM would back up their products. THEY DIDN'T! GM said the car is functioning properly and so is the stage 1 kit, there is nothing wrong with it, they don't know why it boosted full psi in all gears before (suppose to be limited in 1st gear to extend drivetrain life), therefor no compensation considered for the stage 1 kit, and they offered me 1/singular/uno payment.

By this time I had already got the car back and took it in for the 2nd time for the bouncy speedo and it was still in the shop during this call from GM. I told them, it's BS on the stage 1, there has been no explanation on why my car out performed before or why it got turned down now, further, I now wanted 5 payments because we crested over to 4.5 months of 11. They said their 1 payment offer was their final offer. I told him it was their ONLY offer and it's crap. I grabed the papers from the lawyer, signed and sent them in. F GM and their cars. After this I basically parked the car, I didn't want anything to happen to it that would jeopardize my case, further I didn't trust it.

2-3 months later, I surrendered my car to the same dealer, told my service writter (great guy) that I keep my word that I gave him a few months back. I told them if GM didn't "make good" on it, I wouldn't own it for long. I'm a man of my word, it is my bond. GM had to pay off my lien, pay me all my payments, minus a miles use fee, and pay my lawyers. I was able to get my GAP insurance & wheel/tire protection money back. The car cost me insurance and about $300 for the 14months of "ownership". They bought a now 14 month old car with 10,XXX miles, that was only $25k new, for $30k. Not to mention all the money in service they put into it.

I'm done with GM, never again, will I buy another one of their products.

My non-GM story continues onward as...

I looked at tons of new cars, test drove lots as well. I didn't want a mustang (too much of a "me too" car), didn't want anything else Ford (been there done most), looked at a few challengers and chargers but they not only want too much $$ for them, they're a bit "me too" and get crap gas milage. I started looking non - "american" car brands. I will eat crow on this, because I've been a big pusher of american cars due to loads of family working for them (I live in the Motor City), but you see where I ended up with GM, so looking around is just being good. I ruled out Nissan (370, maxima & altima), can't get myself to buy a KIA or Hyandai. I test drove a Speed 3 and a RX8. The 3 was decent looking, but the paint was horrible (orange peal) and the interior was cheap, and the red star burst pattern is horrible. The RX8 sounded amazing, looks good, paint is slightly better, I decided no jap cars and concentrated on european cars but nothing too expensive. The BMW 1 series is just too blad, I test drove a VW GTI and while I like the look, the interior felt cheap and for all the hype, I wasn't all that impressed. The Speed 3 would beat it in a race. I thought about an Audi but their price point is just a bit high for me right now.

I checked out the Volvo C30, could more $$ from the GTI but bigger motor and cooler looking with more rareness around where I live at least. The test drive sealed the deal, it was faster, the interior while bland at first, just worked. It has a refined simplistic look that just works and feels great. The I-5 2.5L motor definately had the other cars beat on the highway, where there "is no replacement for displacement". The other turbo cars were I-4 2.0L motors and that Volvo extra cylinder helped out tons.

I wanted to be certain so I went and test drove the Speed 3 again to be sure and the car is just "too cheap" feeling. It's the volvo. I ordered a 2012 Volvo C30 R-Design, completely loaded with everything but blind spot orange light crap and a stick shift. It won't be here till mid Sep and I can't wait.

Sorry it's a long story, but stories usually are.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Rest In Peace

Rarely ever have I had any problems with GM cars.

I'll keep buying them.

You should have contacted a Lawyer when the motor blew at 3000 miles, and NEVER excepted a new motor being put in a New car to begin with, that would have saved you Alot of grief.

I never would have excepted a motor replacement in what was basically still a New car. I would fought with a Lawyer for a Another NEW car.

BTW, do you own a Virago?

Good luck on your new car.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Good for you.

Strange ,
I just, 40 mins. ago went threw all the new cars and told my wife i want to go test drive a new C 30 R , Its the only thing out there, That might be able to replace the bat ride , I've seen maybe 10 C-30 's So not many in chi-town .

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Rarely ever have I had any problems with GM cars.

I'll keep buying them.

You should have contacted a Lawyer when the motor blew at 3000 miles, and NEVER excepted a new motor being put in a New car to begin with, that would have saved you Alot of grief.

I never would have excepted a motor replacement in what was basically still a New car. I would fought with a Lawyer for a Another NEW car.

BTW, do you own a Virago?

Good luck on your new car.
I have had decent or average luck with my GM cars in the past. My wife's step father retired from Cadillac, her grandfather from Buick. So how do you think I feel when their own company they dedicated their careers to, wouldn't back their product? I didn't want this.

Shoulda
Coulda
Woulda

I was hoping the motor thing was a fluke, but in hines sight it was just the begining. But that is always 20/20.

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Good for you.

Strange ,
I just, 40 mins. ago went threw all the new cars and told my wife i want to go test drive a new C 30 R , Its the only thing out there, That might be able to replace the bat ride , I've seen maybe 10 C-30 's So not many in chi-town .

Thanks man. It's a sweet sour moment. I loved the car when it ran right, but that was only about 55% of the time.

As far as the C30...

Go check em out. As you can tell I did a good deal of work on looking. What I like about the C30 above the car itself, is that I have only seen 1 ever in my SE michigan, and that was standing outside one of the Volvo dealers.

It's smaller, duh, and on the highway it's there with the HHR. But in the city the HHR is probably a bit faster. The HHR has typical american "more power" attach towards making it faster. Where the Volvo is more european linear power.

What I also like, is that when I shopped the different Volvo dealers. I found a 3 year old 36k miles on the odo C30R. I test drove it. The suspension was still stiff, solid feeling, and didn't clunk or clank. Hell, it was better than my HHR ever was. That made me feel good about my purchase.

The only negative is that I had to order my stick shift without ever driving one. I drove a few autos but not the manual. I'm sure it's good. I watched tons of online video reviews and most like it.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Deceased

Good luck with the new ride Gas Man, but to be honest as long as Volvo is a division of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, I'd never drive a car built by a Chinese company....even if they are still assembled in Sweden.

Perhaps some day you will find a new GM vehicle in which you feel you can place your trust and your money. Please don't be a stranger here after your HHR rolls its last mile in your hands, you'd be missed.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM

Post the VIN so nobody buys that piece of ****.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Good luck with the new ride Gas Man, but to be honest as long as Volvo is a division of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, I'd never drive a car built by a Chinese company....even if they are still assembled in Sweden.

Perhaps some day you will find a new GM vehicle in which you feel you can place your trust and your money. Please don't be a stranger here after your HHR rolls its last mile in your hands, you'd be missed.
I hear ya, but I will say, that nothing really has changed on the Volvo since Ford sold it.

And the HHR is already gone, has been for a few weeks. Let's just say, I wasn't talking about it till the checks cleared and the lien was paid off. And thanks for the kind words... I have done my best.

Originally Posted by nacademus
Post the VIN so nobody buys that piece of ****.
Good idea but I don't have it now. I tried to look it up and couldn't find any Silver 2010's.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Glad to see your letting everyone know whats going on. Hit me up for anything you need.

Dave
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Gas Man- Good luck on the new car when it arrives..

Seems you had more than your share of headaches with yer SS..Maybe it was made on friday ?

I had a feeling you unloaded it a while back..

Don't be a stranger..
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Thanks Dave. You and a few others here knew of the saga... many at the BBQ heard about it then but it was still in between stage at that point. I'm glad it's over... it was stressfull and should have never got to that point. I still don't understand GM's logic on it. Why they wouldn't just stand behind it, compensate the LOYAL owner. Oh well, history now... just move on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Tale and End of my HHR