General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

White Gunk under oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 AM

White Gunk under oil cap

This past Saturday while changing the plugs I noticed this white gunky stuff under the oil filler cap. The first thing that came to mind was a blown head gasket. Naturally I was freaking out. But I have none of the other signs of a blown head gasket like, over heating, coolant lose, or surging engine etc.... Well after researching this for a bit I discovered something. The oil itself was fine, still new from the oil change I did a month ago. Apparently, in the winter months if you drive short distances ( my work is 2.6 miles from my house) this gunky stuff builds up under the cap. It is from the oil not getting hot enough on short trips to burn all the condensation off. The cure is to take the car on a 20 or so mile trip to burn off all the condensation. Worked like a charm. Hope this will help someone.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Very true. If you're unsure check the oil on the dipstick, if it's milky, you have an issue. The condensation is commonly found at the top of the engine as you mentioned, from shorter trips. This is while highway drive. Vehicles are typically able to rack up more miles the shorter driver vehicles and while oil should be change more frequently on vehicles that drive short distances too. Usually every 6 months if you haven't reached the suggested milage for an oil change.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Related ....but not......

Been told, condensation from short drives is also responsible for premature failure of the rusting down pipe.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 AM
Deceased

Condensation from "short hops" is hard on everything, it's a good policy to make a point of taking your HHR on a good long run at least a couple of times a month.

In the "Olden Times", we used to call it an Italian Tuneup(very politically incorrect), or Blowing the Carbon Out.

The gist of it is to get the engine up to its full operational temperature, and keep it there long enough to drive the moisture out of the oil, and exhaust.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Banned

Makes me glad that I drive 45 minutes to and from work, then. And usually stop for a soda and protein bar on my way to work. Sometimes take a different route home for some twisty turns, and a bit more "fun" on the back roads. :)

As for today, driving home, dropping off work clothes, then for a 1.25hr drive to Fort Gratiot for some quality time. :)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Condensation from "short hops" is hard on everything, it's a good policy to make a point of taking your HHR on a good long run at least a couple of times a month.

In the "Olden Times", we used to call it an Italian Tuneup(very politically incorrect), or Blowing the Carbon Out.

The gist of it is to get the engine up to its full operational temperature, and keep it there long enough to drive the moisture out of the oil, and exhaust.
Had a dealer ,in Va beach tell me years ago that when people would bring in their XKEs that they would take them out on I-64 and blow ,them out good and charge them $25.00 when they picked them up.(hours labor)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ron s
had a dealer ,in va beach tell me years ago that when people would bring in their xkes that they would take them out on i-64 and blow ,them out good and charge them $25.00 when they picked them up.(hours labor)
lol!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM

that white stuff is the oil additives doing its job...turning water into that white paste to protect motor....the additives can be used up over time
Old 12-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Ron S
Had a dealer ,in Va beach tell me years ago that when people would bring in their XKEs that they would take them out on I-64 and blow ,them out good and charge them $25.00 when they picked them up.(hours labor)
I believe that could be called an "English Tuneup", but considering how fickle E-Type Jags were, it could also be called "Playing With Fire".

Many years ago, we had a garage in Charlotte that specialized in MG's, Triumphs, Austins, Rovers, Jaguars, and all things British Leyland.

At the mere mention of Lucas Electrical parts, or SU carbs, the head mechanic used to soil himself and hide under his workbench.

The rumor was the shop had to close after an MG Miget caused a fire when some misguided individual tried the cigarette lighter.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 AM

Of course, there's always this one:

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Because Lucas Electrics makes their refrigerators.

Quick Reply: White Gunk under oil cap