General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Who else thinks the HHR shopuld have been RWD

Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Yeah, like the Solstice! Well...woulda, coulda, shoulda - it's much too late now. My best bet is to wait for the Panel to be released, then buy one, drop in a big block, cage it & tub it out, then go draggin'.
Do you think a big block would fit without stretching the front? A HHR with 454 with RWD would be the s**t. Of course then I would defeat my purpose of buying a family vehicle. MY wife always asks me why I cant leave a vehicle alone. LOL
Old 11-01-2005, 10:49 PM

Well...I was getting a little overzealous with the BB - but I know a supercharged small block will fit:

That's an all-aluminum 6.0L Gen IV LS2 V8 with a polished Magna Super Charger...and that'll get some groceries!

BTW - that car is a RWD conversion.

-Mike
Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Banned

Talk about shoehorned in! It looks pretty set back also. I wonder what the weight distribution is like?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 AM

I can't wait till someone does that.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 PM

"Talk about shoehorned in! It looks pretty set back also. I wonder what the weight distribution is like?"

I dunno, but if you look under your HHR's hood, you'll see the firewall is right there. I'm betting in Unique's car the firewall is long gone! (*Can you say aluminum fab?)

Still...it's nice to dream big!
-Mike
Old 11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR

I dunno, but if you look under your HHR's hood, you'll see the firewall is right there. I'm betting in Unique's car the firewall is long gone! (*Can you say aluminum fab?)
But then you give up your quiet steel. LOL!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:34 AM

Right. But once I light up that 503CI aluminum big block (with roller cam and 3500rpm stall converter - tube chassis (with parachute), 4-speed ratchet automatic, injected tunnel ram w/nitrous through a GMC 6-71 blower...and running jet fuel), I think road noise from the firewall will be the least of my concerns!

Still dreaming big,
-Mike
Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 AM

OMG you guys...can you say "Sit-N-Spin"? Did you plan on going only in a straight line? You'd never be able to turn with a big block in this little thing with the engine where it sits and the height of the vehicle. You could make impressive burnouts, but a stock 2.4L would beat your butt on a road course 'cause you would have to slow way, way down on the corners! I always got a kick out of the Mustang GT owners who would come out of the mid Ohio course all mad as hell because their lap times were slower than the EVOs and the Neons. Since I see the roads of real life more like a road course than a drag strip, some serious suspension, frame, and weight modification would have to be done before you go slappin in stupid engine sizes.

Front wheel drive is the drivetrain of choice for those of us in the snow for a reason. One of those reasons is because I dont really want to haul around sand tubes. Call me crazy. Making the trunk unusable for four months out of the year tells me something just isnt right about the vehicle's design. My wife and I considered the mercury marauder as well as the HHR, but settled because she drives Crown Vic's all day in the snow and knows how unpredictable they can be without snow tires and weight in the trunk. The fact is, RWD vehicles are always being pushed forward. The rear wheels rely on traction in the front to steer. If the front has no traction, it pushes the car like a sled. FWD vehicles effectively pull the vehicle the direction the wheels are turning. If they have no traction, you just dont move.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

If I'm going to dream I dream big! Also yes I am only interested in going in a straight line. I have never been on a road course but there are a few drag strips sort of close to me. Most of the time if I race someone (which I have not in my HHR yet) its on the street or highway. I don't like front wheel in the snow because your a** end likes to slide out on you. I like RWD and a set of snow tires when it snows. I guess it just a personal preference. I have owned both and live in a snowy area, I find RWD safer and easier for my style of driving.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Captain Howdy don't let Rooster know you race on the street, his wife will be looking for you!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who else thinks the HHR shopuld have been RWD