General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM

windshield wiper problem

i have a 2007 model and my driver windshield works great but my passenger side wont work at all ..i can move it up and down manual with no problem wondering if this is electric issue or mechanical ..please help before winter sets in ..any suggestion? thanks ....
Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 PM

It sounds like the post is not being driven by the motor. I had this part break on another car because there was too much snow on the windsheild and me being a dummy tried to move it with the wipers. Doing this broke the part of the post that is connected to the motor. On that car not too expensive of a fix, but not sure on this one.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 AM

so i might have to remove the plastic cover and take a look hope this is to fix
Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 AM

The part that connects the two wipers to the motor is called a transmission. It can happen where part of this can pop apart of break. Most time it can be damaged in the winter if frozen or heavy snow.

Just pull up the plastic cover and it should be right under it. You may be able to pop it back on but if one side has failed you may have to replace the transmission.

I am not sure what a new one would cost but I would expect not too much if the worst case you have to replace it. Either way it should be mechanical and you just have to look to see what popped off.

Note in some cased you can pop it on but it will again come off so not how it came off. Some have nylon bushings that can be replace.

I have never had the HHR apart but I had this happen on my GMC. I had it fixed in a few min's and it never came off agian.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 PM

thanks for all your help ,i did take the plastic cowl off four screws and low and behold the arm for the passenger side pop off ,so i pop it back on and has a pivot ball were it connects togather all is good it works good ..i got to make sure to scrape the ice off good so it wont pop off again thanks for all the help....
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
thanks for all your help ,i did take the plastic cowl off four screws and low and behold the arm for the passenger side pop off ,so i pop it back on and has a pivot ball were it connects togather all is good it works good ..i got to make sure to scrape the ice off good so it wont pop off again thanks for all the help....
If it keep happening you may be able to replace the nylon socket if not you will need to replace the transmission. If so you now know how to do it and can save the labor.

yes remove the now and ice as heavy wet snow or wipers frozen to the windshield will pop it.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
Good to hear it was a easy fix and you didnt have to replace the transmission part.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM

well i thought i had fix it and it pop off again ,what i think i will do next is go back in there and pop it back on then then zip tie and then used any hose clap around it and keep it tight wish me luck
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM

I would check to see if you can get a new part to fix it right. If not at least price the wiper transmission new and from a junk yard they should not be too much. They are easy to replace and it will fail again.

When it will fail will be the first big snow and you will lose one wiper.

Might be a lot better to fix it right before the weather gets really bad.

Trust me from past times I have had this happen it is better just to fix it right.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Old Thread but I just had this part replaced today...just got back from the desert a couple of days ago and I thought that the bolt that holds the wiper arm on had come loose (happened once before) No such luck as it was the same as described above, mine was the drivers side

Figures I haven't seen a drop of rain in almost 6 months and today was pouring out....thank god for Rainx Window cleaner...did a good enough job to get me to dealer lol

Replaced the wiper transmission and it came to 240 bucks, 132.00 of that was labor so not that expensive of a part.

I can see again lol

Quick Reply: windshield wiper problem