General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Winter driving

Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Winter driving

I need to make a run from Florida to upstate NY and snow Thursday. I haven't driven the HHR in snow since owning the car. I grew up in NY, so have driven in snow in the past (didn't like it much). Any hints on how the HHR handles in the snow. I'm not looking forward to snow with all season tires, and hoping that by Friday the roads will be plowed.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM

I'll update you tomorrow.....seems like 10-12 inches for the morning commute....it should be gone(plowed) by Friday.

Oh and I have had 2 HHRs since 10/09. Haven't had a problem in the snow. Just a slow commute, that's all. And if you have plenty of tread on the front tires, you should be fine

Traction control/stability control make it a bit easier
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

i'm looking at about 5 inches now, 7pm, should be cleared up b4 friday
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM

It really depends on the tires you have on the car AND how much tread is left.

For example, the firestones that came on mine were horrible from new in all conditions. I put on some michelin pilot exalto a/s and they were terrific until they were worn to about 6/32 left. After that they were not good in snow at all but still good in the rain and dry. At that point I bought a cheap set of wheels at discount tire and had some winter tires mounted on them.

Couldn't believe the difference winter tires made. Won't drive without them now. They are better that A/S tires in the cold also, not just for snow.

So, what tires do you have and how worn are they?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM

We are getting our 1st big blast, we have 6 inches on the ground and it is still coming down. I have had Blizzaks for the past 3 winters and I can't say enough about them. It gives you a little more confidence. They are a fantastic tire and it makes the HHR a whole lot better in the snow.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM

I kept looking at the weather forcasts and I estimate that I'll have rain up through Maryland on Thursday. My fear was RT81 through Scranton and hills of central Pa. It should be over by Friday and I'm hoping that the plows will have gotten the roads clear. The tires have about 10K miles on them. I have a light foot and hoping that there isn't much traffic. My brother slid off the road last Saturday in the crappy weather on his way to the Buffalo area and is now in ICU, in a coma. I'm unsure what happened as I spoke with him after the accident and he sounded ok, but two days later he was having issues and went to the hospital Christmas day via ambulance and has been out of it since. Fifty-five years as a smoker haven't helped his condition.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I kept looking at the weather forcasts and I estimate that I'll have rain up through Maryland on Thursday. My fear was RT81 through Scranton and hills of central Pa. It should be over by Friday and I'm hoping that the plows will have gotten the roads clear. The tires have about 10K miles on them. I have a light foot and hoping that there isn't much traffic. My brother slid off the road last Saturday in the crappy weather on his way to the Buffalo area and is now in ICU, in a coma. I'm unsure what happened as I spoke with him after the accident and he sounded ok, but two days later he was having issues and went to the hospital Christmas day via ambulance and has been out of it since. Fifty-five years as a smoker haven't helped his condition.
Sorry about your brother. Lets hope for the best. You should be ok, just take it slow. I did my share of snow driving in Michigan years ago, so I know driving on slick, icy and snowy roads is not much fun. I put four Michein hydro edge tires on my HHR last year. Makes a huge differance on wet roads, but I have no real experience with them on snow.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM

I was out last night with Goodyear Eagles on. Handled great in the snow.
I delivered pizza in snow country for 5 years. So I have a little experience so I had a blast playing in the snow.
Yeah I know I should have had the snows on but I wanted to see how these were in snow so I waited till the snow came.

Driving in snow can be a lot of fun. Just keep calm, leave plenty of space and plan your moves in advance.
If an idiot wants your space cushion just let him have it and back off the throttle.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM

I made it to work on time today.....

Roads are pretty good for the most part in my neck of the woods
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

The roads here in the Buffalo area are in good shape, most are just wet.

Going to work this morning I was at close to normal speeds. Just be careful on exit ramps which tend to have wind drift snow on them.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter driving