General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Yet another keyfob/remote start thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Yet another keyfob/remote start thread

There is No fob issue!!

I just wanted some clarification, after reading through this thread ( where this originally was), I thought I'd check my Wife's HHR to see if it has AP3, but the label has been removed from the glove box. I went into the DIC and it reads, the remote start is "ON", does this mean her HHR is equipped with remote start function? Is there any other way for me to tell, I don't believe this was ever a rental or fleet vehicle?

I received no fobs and only 1 key, so I guess it is possible her 1LT was purchased with remote start? If so, I could be a hero lol!!

Last edited by taz3; 12-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Technical Moderator

I hate to say this. Read the previous 18 pages and you will find answers.

Hints: Hood ajar switch, Lock + panic.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

taz3 I would suggest go out and buy a FOB(remote) and have the vehicle programmed to it first before anything else. Even if the remote start does not work you will have door locking ability, something you do not have now since you do not have a FOB - that is enough of a plus in my mind to justify the cost. Perhaps yours too! I don't know what I would do without a working FOB?

My bet is the Remote Start will work right off the bat. However, you could look at the hood switch to determine if you have the correct one - I forget how to determine the difference between the two versions as this thread is old. I do believe the info is here in this long thread. Also, somewhere on this site is what to look out for on purchasing a new FOB, there are bad ones out there according to posters. I would get an OEM FOB to play it safe. My FOB part number for my 2009 is 15114274, don't know what your 2006 takes - do some research.

Either way you will be a HERO.

If you need further confidence instilled, go to a dealer and have them run your VIN to see if there is AP3 present. IIRC you have already answered that question by going to the DIC and seeing that REMOTE ON indication.

So, get a good FOB - have the vehicle programmed to it and good luck. Despite what you will read on this forum time and time again you do not have to go to the "Dealer" to have the FOB programming done. Any good shop will have the "Snap-on' equivalent to the Tech II to do the programming - you may have to persuade the tech to get him/her to try as it is entirely likely they have never done it before. Also a well equipped locksmith might be able to do the programming as well.

donbrew must not have read your complete post or you added the last sentence about not having a FOB since he responded. Please ignore his comments they really don't apply to your situation.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 AM

Thank you for the help Sno White. I'm just waiting on ignition parts from the local dealer to do the recall work and I will be purchasing new fobs, from GM. I didn't really give it much thought until I found this thread, that it is possible this HHR has/had remote start.

I got lucky with my first HHR having a local shop program my fobs for less the. $20, and they said bring in the second one for programming as well.

I'll post back with my findings after recall work and fob purchase.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Technical Moderator

Well then the post is in the totally wrong place! Why post this question in a 19 page thread about a mod to make remote start work WITHOUT AP3?
A search for "keyfob" would bring the answers in outrageous abundance. Including a new $45 self program solution.

We are ignored. I will try to find the right place to merge these posts.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Technical Moderator

You could
A. Send your VIN to ChevroletCustomerService via PM and ask for your RPO LIST

B. Take your VIN to a GM service department and ask for your RPO list.

C. Do what is buried in the thread and look for the hood ajar switch that I hinted at.

If you search "key fob" many results will be about RS.
You could search "remote start".
You could search "ap3 rpo"

Just a few suggestions.

Last edited by donbrew; 12-19-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Technical Moderator

If you had a fob You would not need to ask the question. Therefore it is a fob issue, not a "adding remote start without AP3" issue.

I believe that "do I have remote start" is answered in that thread as well as in several others.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If you had a fob You would not need to ask the question. Therefore it is a fob issue, not a "adding remote start without AP3" issue.

I believe that "do I have remote start" is answered in that thread as well as in several others.
No, that's where the problem is, I have a spare fob, not from this HHR and I can have it programmed to work with this HHR, but it doesn't have the remote start button on it. I would also like a second one, so if I find out if my HHR has AP3 or it can be by passed I can save money not programming the spare fob.

See the fob is secondary here, I just want to know how to find out if my HHR will start remotely or which of the 3 set ups it has in the BCM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Obviously you did not read any of the thread.

If you have a wire going to the hood latch AND the DIC has the option in it. You have AP3. (that is in the thread and several others).

If you press Lock and Panic at the same time it is the same as pressing Start, you do not need a Start button. (that is in the thread and several others)

I just re read the first several pages just to be sure it is there. And I put "do I have remote start" into the search box and got several pages of relevant threads.

So, maybe you should read the thread.

The thread is a "How-To tutorial" on ADDING Remote Start to a 2008 HHR that came WITHOUT AP3. Not a "I wonder if I have Remote Start thread", there are at least 5 of those already. Thus my suggestion to search, maybe I left some other markers out and the thread was started 5-6 years ago, so maybe there are fresher posts out there.

Why do should someone re read a now 19 page thread so that they can quote answers to a question tacked onto the end (again)? I guess your time is more valuable than mine. That couldn't be it or you wouldn't be arguing that it's not there and I am an A**.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Technical Moderator

I renamed this thread and merged post #6 from the other thread.

AND, I stand by post #2.

Quick Reply: Yet another keyfob/remote start thread