GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

5 years and looks like more recalls are due

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM

5 years and looks like more recalls are due

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I do love my 2010 HHR. It's been my baby. But I was just wondering if anyone else out there has the following problems with their HHR? The list of things going wrong so far is:

- Interior door handles: Both inside front door handles are broken off
- Power windows: Unable to roll down any window but driver side using the driver side door panel. Although, rolling any of the windows up when using the driver side door panel buttons is not a problem.
- Safety System: "Air Bag needs Servicing" warning is now on.
- Security System: Key fob is inoperable except for the locate car option. Unable to lock, unlock doors or arm security system. Got a new battery and thought that might fix it, but nope, still inoperable and I had to purchase a locking gas cap because I can't arm the security alarm. I've lost 3 tanks of gas since this started the past 5 months.
- Safety System: Steering wheel is locking in place as it should when you park, turn the car off and remove the key, but then the steering remains locked when you insert the key and attempt to restart the car. The wheels are not in a turned position and the steering wheel is in it's appropriate position. It takes wiggling the steering wheel as much as you can until the key catches to get it to start. The key will completely turn to the "on" position, but if that steering wheel is locked there is no connection and the steering must be wiggled until the key engages.

If, god forbid, I am in an accident or get caught in one of the flash floods that have been building around here, my daughter and I will be trapped inside the car because we can't open the doors from the inside. I would never be able to get my dogs out or even give them a fighting chance because I can't lower the rear windows to allow escape.

Everyone I have spoken to locally who have an HHR are also having the same problems, but I am trying to narrow it down to see if the problems are across the board or only in certain VIN numbers that are linked to the previous 3 recalls.

Chevy needs to fix this before someone dies or is injured. I don't want anything from them except for accountability and to repair an automobile that I bought because (at the time) it was rated as having one of the highest safety ratings. Now it's had 3 recalls and these new problems are arising.

I contacted Chevy today and got a complaint number. They are covering the first hour of the diagnosis at a local Chevy dealer. But if these problems are widespread then Chevy needs to do something more than "comp" an hour of diagnosis time. My car is only 5 years old and these kinds of problems are ones I would expect to see in a car of 15 to 20 years or more.

Any help and feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Star
Old 12-26-2015, 06:23 PM

You don't say how many miles are on it ??

Also are you the original owner? Maybe some of these issues could be generated from a prior owners doing.

What was the mileage when these issues started.

Let us know how you come out with Chevrolet and the claim.

I too have a 2010 but with low low mileage. No problems so far.

Silverfox
Old 12-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Most of those issue would have been within the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty!
There are fixes for your issues simply key in say inner door handle into the search window and many threads show up , many with how the member addressed the problem.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Wow, my '08 Panel just turned 150k and other than the key fob being replaced, oil/filter changes, tires, brakes, battery and 100,000 mile service the car hasn't missed a beat. This HHR has proven to be the most dependable car I've ever owned. Not a single complaint .......and I love the fact people still come up to me an tell me what a cool car I drive. This is a tough combo to beat on a daily driver.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

quote: - Security System: Key fob is inoperable except for the locate car option. Unable to lock, unlock doors or arm security system. Got a new battery and thought that might fix it, but nope, still inoperable and I had to purchase a locking gas cap because I can't arm the security alarm. I've lost 3 tanks of gas since this started the past 5 months.

Locate car option ? I'm not even sure what you mean by this.
Arming the security system does nothing to keep someone from stealing your gas. The gas filler door and gas cap are not connected to any of the security system sensors.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Like OldBlue said, there are how-to's on here for repairing the door handles. Search also for window switches and, while you've got the door panel off to fix the door handle, maybe you can get the windows working also. I think there is a recall for something to do with airbags.

The keyfob, I had a problem with mine, too. The battery holder inside had come loose. I folded some paper in there and snapped it back together, then the battery had good contact again.

The steering column is the one problem that probably is not an easy fix. I'm guessing that this is what the dealer is diagnosing.

Bottom line, you bought a used car, 4 years ago. It's now 6 years old (we're in the 2016 model year now). You're going to have little issues that need attention. These problems didn't all happen yesterday, but now they've piled up and may seem like a mountain. But it's not. Take heart. Use the search window, read the threads. There's a lot of good info on here, and good people, too.

If you're not mechanically inclined, find a friend to help you, or maybe someone form your South Florida HHR Club can help.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Deceased

aboard StarCross!

The replys above all offer great advice, maybe not what you wanted to hear, but they are all pointing you in the right directions.

And they're asking the right questions, what will help us to help you, is for you to take a few deep breaths and address each issue in turn.

There's no magic "Fixes Everything" answer, and the worst way to approach any mechanical issue is with an attitude of "The Sky is Falling".

That didn't do any good for Chicken Little, and you know how that one turns out.

Step one...

As Silverfox and Oldblue pointed out, we need answers to our questions first, lest we play a guessing game with your time and money.

Step two...

Based on your answers, we can give you more pointers.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by StarCross
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I do love my 2010 HHR. It's been my baby. But I was just wondering if anyone else out there has the following problems with their HHR? The list of things going wrong so far is:

- Interior door handles: Both inside front door handles are broken off
- Power windows: Unable to roll down any window but driver side using the driver side door panel. Although, rolling any of the windows up when using the driver side door panel buttons is not a problem.
- Safety System: "Air Bag needs Servicing" warning is now on.
- Security System: Key fob is inoperable except for the locate car option. Unable to lock, unlock doors or arm security system. Got a new battery and thought that might fix it, but nope, still inoperable and I had to purchase a locking gas cap because I can't arm the security alarm. I've lost 3 tanks of gas since this started the past 5 months.
- Safety System: Steering wheel is locking in place as it should when you park, turn the car off and remove the key, but then the steering remains locked when you insert the key and attempt to restart the car. The wheels are not in a turned position and the steering wheel is in it's appropriate position. It takes wiggling the steering wheel as much as you can until the key catches to get it to start. The key will completely turn to the "on" position, but if that steering wheel is locked there is no connection and the steering must be wiggled until the key engages.

If, god forbid, I am in an accident or get caught in one of the flash floods that have been building around here, my daughter and I will be trapped inside the car because we can't open the doors from the inside. I would never be able to get my dogs out or even give them a fighting chance because I can't lower the rear windows to allow escape.

Everyone I have spoken to locally who have an HHR are also having the same problems, but I am trying to narrow it down to see if the problems are across the board or only in certain VIN numbers that are linked to the previous 3 recalls.

Chevy needs to fix this before someone dies or is injured. I don't want anything from them except for accountability and to repair an automobile that I bought because (at the time) it was rated as having one of the highest safety ratings. Now it's had 3 recalls and these new problems are arising.

I contacted Chevy today and got a complaint number. They are covering the first hour of the diagnosis at a local Chevy dealer. But if these problems are widespread then Chevy needs to do something more than "comp" an hour of diagnosis time. My car is only 5 years old and these kinds of problems are ones I would expect to see in a car of 15 to 20 years or more.

Any help and feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Star
Star,

As the others have mentioned, yes, these cars are decent. I wouldn't say great, with the fact that I've had 3 HHR's('07) & 2('10's) and 2 had engine problems. The '07 had problems with a bad head(that was repaired under the drive train warranty with less than 10 miles to go before the warranty would have been null and void and one of the '10's is being parted out as we speak(blown engine(threw a rod)). The 3rd car is like Oldblue's-low mileage and other than the radio acting up(which will go to the dealer for a quick re-programming), it's been fine so far.

As for your door window problems, I had one window that did not work with the window switch in the door, but the master switch worked without a problem. It could be that the switches might have gotten damp and have corroded out(it's possible).

And I was thinking about it-I think your fob problem is that the fob is used so much that even with the battery change, that the contacts underneath the rubber might not be hitting the way they should. You might need to talk to the parts department at your dealer to see if they can order you another one. The problem is that I believe that they will charge you to program it to work with your car.

But as the others had said-your answers will help everyone else to be able to give you more definitive answers with ways to help get everything working properly for you.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Sorry you have so many issues.

I have an 08 Panel with 130K and have had no issues with it other than "normal" wear and tear items that these little trucklets have. Suspension issues aside everything else has been pretty flawless. I had to redo the solder joints on the key fob as others have but that I don't believe is just happening to the HHRs. I did go on line and order a couple of replacement fob key pads and that fixed the non-functioning fob. Think it was about $5 or so.

I purchased this little Panel new in early 08 and plan to keep it a very long time. Actively keep watching local boneyards for parts that wear out I can replace later. Including another 2.2 and tranny when needed.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Administrator

DrTrapper, my HHR ain't low mileage, it's got 205,000 miles on it! No major issues!

Quick Reply: 5 years and looks like more recalls are due